Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 12:35 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
How is a small raise to $9.00 which is still below inflation cause such dire economic malaise? Do you have any analysis to point to? Is the restaurant/fastfood industry that heavily reliant on a $7.25 minimum wage for profits? Here is a Forbes post which looks at both sides:

The Minimum Wage Fight-Ground Zero In The Clash Of Conservative vs. Progressive America - Forbes
Sure let's raise it to 9. Then 15, then 20. When does it stop? What about those who are already above minimum wage? Do they get a raise? Are you willing to pay 20 bucks for a Big Mac?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 12:39 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,918,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Sure let's raise it to 9. Then 15, then 20. When does it stop? What about those who are already above minimum wage? Do they get a raise? Are you willing to pay 20 bucks for a Big Mac?
It stops when inflation stops.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:41 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Quote:
It stops when inflation stops.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:11 PM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Hey - OP - why haven't you addressed post #4? You've been very quick to insult anyone who disagrees with you, except me. Not that I want you to disagree with me, but I am curious as to why you tried to set me up in post #3, and then completely ignored my response.

So let's have it. Tell the world why my post doesn't make sense, why I'm stupid, or whatever other excuse you've got to dismiss it. I'll even make it easy for you - here it is again, so you don't have to go looking for it:
No. I do own a business, but there's nobody I could hire that would work for whatever the going "minimum wage" is. My employees have specialized knowledge that demands a higher wage. If I don't pay them enough, they'll go and work for a competitor that will. That's how it works in my industry, and should work in every industry.

You have to change your thinking on this. An employer isn't paying a person for what THEY are worth, they're compensating a person for what THE JOB is worth. If you're applying for a job that literally requires no knowledge or skills whatsoever, then you should expect to be paid accordingly. If you want a job that pays better, you should obtain some knowledge or skill that will increase the value of what you have to offer a potential employer. Rather than demand that a particular job pay more, set your sights higher and go for a job that already pays more.

If you're going to use the force of law to artificially inflate the wages in this country, what incentive will people have to excel? Are you OK with China taking the lead in technology development and advancement? Want to see Japan drive the final coffin nails in the U.S. auto industry? Keep advocating for policies that give people a reason to NOT get educated and acquire knowledge.
How about it?

Old 02-16-2013, 01:21 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,918,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Hey - OP - why haven't you addressed post #4? You've been very quick to insult anyone who disagrees with you, except me. Not that I want you to disagree with me, but I am curious as to why you tried to set me up in post #3, and then completely ignored my response.

So let's have it. Tell the world why my post doesn't make sense, why I'm stupid, or whatever other excuse you've got to dismiss it. I'll even make it easy for you - here it is again, so you don't have to go looking for it:
No. I do own a business, but there's nobody I could hire that would work for whatever the going "minimum wage" is. My employees have specialized knowledge that demands a higher wage. If I don't pay them enough, they'll go and work for a competitor that will. That's how it works in my industry, and should work in every industry.

You have to change your thinking on this. An employer isn't paying a person for what THEY are worth, they're compensating a person for what THE JOB is worth. If you're applying for a job that literally requires no knowledge or skills whatsoever, then you should expect to be paid accordingly. If you want a job that pays better, you should obtain some knowledge or skill that will increase the value of what you have to offer a potential employer. Rather than demand that a particular job pay more, set your sights higher and go for a job that already pays more.

If you're going to use the force of law to artificially inflate the wages in this country, what incentive will people have to excel? Are you OK with China taking the lead in technology development and advancement? Want to see Japan drive the final coffin nails in the U.S. auto industry? Keep advocating for policies that give people a reason to NOT get educated and acquire knowledge.
How about it?

Eh what? McDonald's operates many restaurants in countries which have higher minimum wages than the US. How does raising the minimum wage by a dollar something lead to technological deterioration of the entire country? Are you saying that everyone should go to college and that there should be no minimum-wage jobs?

The Obama Admin is also making an effort to make college more accessible - but then the GOP tries to counter that by saying that not everyone needs to go to college and we just need to have "more jobs", which means lower paying jobs not the knowledge jobs. The minimum wage is just to ensure that a minimum level of quality of life is had by all. Those who want to aspire to more can do so. Its just like for someone coming from a 3rd world country to America, whether they land in Alabama or California, they will witness a certain minimum upgrade in the quality of life..no matter that California builds up on that certain minimum infrastructure and quality of life found in a typical US city by having better roads, more expansive recycling programs, better universities etc.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:28 PM

593 posts, read 1,411,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
No. I do own a business, but there's nobody I could hire that would work for whatever the going "minimum wage" is.
Then why should it worry you whether or not the minimum wage is raised?

Old 02-16-2013, 02:02 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Quote:
As incredibly stupid as it sounds, GOPers are actually going around the country saying that making a lower minimum wage is actually better - yes, the Tea Party craziness hasn't receded yet.

Check out Rep. Marsha Blackburn in this clip:

Rep. Marsha Blackburn Inadvertently Makes The Case For Nearly Doubling The Minimum Wage - YouTube
They are right, look what happened when the democratic congress foisted the 3 tier minimum wage increase on the American Public, (for our own good).

Unemployment went up, a lot of people lost all their incomes minimum wage or not, couldn't pay their bills, prices went up, spending went down, more people out of work, now people losing their homes. It's a snowball going down hill gathering more snow until it crashes.

Think about it, in a household with 1 adult and a couple of teenagers, and the kids are making min wage, and with their incomes added to the adult, they are able to make the mortgage and car payment. As soon as the kids lose their jobs, they cannot make mortgage, and additionally, when ALL those kids lost their jobs, because of Minimum wage increase, the spending power of the public went down, with fewer things purchased, other people had to lower operating costs by cutting back on people making MORE than min wage, which pushes us even further into decline. With those declines, prices have to go up, to make up for lost income because people are spending less, because fewer people are working, and those that ARE working, have to direct more of their income into maintaining their household, which limits spending on non essentials.

Lowering the minimum wage would in fact put more kids back to work, which would increase the amount of money being spent, which would pick up the economy, and create more jobs, etc.

Economics, 101.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:18 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
I would like to see the minimum wage increased but at the same time I know that it doesn't really solve ANYTHING unless it is also couple with other serious programs... for instance, if the low-skilled laborers increase their minimum wage, the products they produce are much more expensive and that includes ELECTRICITY, WATER, FOOD, HOUSING, EVERYTHING... how would you like to see the prices double whereas your salary stay the same but minimum went up? With that said, a lot of employers CANNOT afford huge hikes in hourly employees... small hikes? Yes... big hikes...NO... and then that also affects annual raises, would you still get one if costs went up and profits went down? Lastly, it does NOT solve poverty... poverty may be making minimum wage at $7 today... and if you raised the minimum wage to $21, poverty would be making $21 that day... I do agree with Obama in that minimum wage CAN be increased to what he wants without SEVERELY affecting the economy but don't lie about it and say it will improve the economy, any gain will be offset with significant losses to everyone who isn't making minimum wage... and those making minimum wage will find that their costs have also increased and together the costs will exceed whatever they make which makes them worse off... I am sure there is a solution to poverty but I wouldn't ask a liberal, they want you to be in NEED of them otherwise you wouldn't vote for them... I hate it when the liberals disguise "solutions" which actually make the situations worse for THEIR benefit...

Old 02-16-2013, 02:21 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
low min wage is not good for you but does prevent the black market illegal immigrant labor market from getting larger

Old 02-16-2013, 02:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Wouldn't lower compensation for CEO's also be better for 'us'?
The board of directors set a CEO's salary.
The CEO does not set his own salary or his worker's salary.

Labor costs are regional/local and are determined at that level.
A glut or shortage of workers also plays a part.

If you have 5000 people applying for 30 openings then you can afford not to pay so much.
If you have 30 people applying for 5000 openings then you're going to add some incentives to get the people you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies