Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 09:09 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
It is a federal crime, however, of the 80,000 denials last year, only 44 were prosecuted.

Go after the rest 79,956!!!
In the words of Joe Biden, "we don't have time to enforce our existing laws. That's why we need more laws."

The man is damned near as stupid as "we need to pass the bill to see what's in it" Pelosi.

We have (according to posts) some 5000 ATF agents. And supposedly some 650-1000 FFL dealers that sell the vast majority of guns used in crimes. Perhaps if they investigated who was buying those guns and how they ended up in the hands of criminals, instead of people that have a dirty rifle "double" at a gun range, they might accomplish something. Or if they went after people that committed these crimes instead of trying to entrap people into committing crimes by shortening a buttstock, they would have time to prosecute criminals. Or prosecuted felons in posession of firearms, instead of looking for Y rather than Yes or NY instead of New York on 4773s (I kid you not, these are things FFL dealers lose licenses over) we would actually reduce crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I propose that we establish a national criminal, mentally ill and illegal aliens database available to everybody for free.

That way, lawful gun owners can easily look up the database to conduct background check. :-)
If we mandate a "universal background check" that would pretty much be a requirement. That way you allow private sellers to comply with the law and run the background check on their home PC or smart phone when making a sale. I don't think even our government is stupid enough to expect gun stores to do checks for private sales of guns that aren't theirs.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:15 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,559,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
If we mandate a "universal background check" that would pretty much be a requirement. That way you allow private sellers to comply with the law and run the background check on their home PC or smart phone when making a sale. I don't think even our government is stupid enough to expect gun stores to do checks for private sales of guns that aren't theirs.
You do know that idea is not going to fly with the liberals. :-)

Old 02-13-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
You do know that idea is not going to fly with the liberals. :-)
Oh come on now, if it saves just one life, it's worth it. It's for the children!

Old 02-13-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
In the words of Joe Biden, "we don't have time to enforce our existing laws. That's why we need more laws."

The man is damned near as stupid as "we need to pass the bill to see what's in it" Pelosi.

We have (according to posts) some 5000 ATF agents. And supposedly some 650-1000 FFL dealers that sell the vast majority of guns used in crimes. Perhaps if they investigated who was buying those guns and how they ended up in the hands of criminals, instead of people that have a dirty rifle "double" at a gun range, they might accomplish something. Or if they went after people that committed these crimes instead of trying to entrap people into committing crimes by shortening a buttstock, they would have time to prosecute criminals. Or prosecuted felons in posession of firearms, instead of looking for Y rather than Yes or NY instead of New York on 4773s (I kid you not, these are things FFL dealers lose licenses over) we would actually reduce crime.
They need to go after the straw purchasers. I would incline to re-define the straw purchase law. Currently, straw purchase is defined as one purchases a firearm for a prohibited person. I would like to change that to the original purchaser cannot resell the gun within 90 days - they can gift the gun but not resell.

If they resell or gift the gun within 90 days, they should be held liable if the recipient commits a crime with such gun.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Oh come on now, if it saves just one life, it's worth it. It's for the children!

I don't think the anti gun fanatics give a crap about children.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:29 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,418 times
Quote:
They need to go after the straw purchasers. I would incline to re-define the straw purchase law. Currently, straw purchase is defined as one purchases a firearm for a prohibited person. I would like to change that to the original purchaser cannot resell the gun within 90 days - they can gift the gun but not resell.

If they resell or gift the gun within 90 days, they should be held liable if the recipient commits a crime with such gun.
It's already illegal (in my state at least) to sell to someone that you know can not legally possess a firearm, at any point in time.

Quote:
You mean, if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside, it's worth it.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
It's already illegal (in my state at least) to sell to someone that you know can not legally possess a firearm, at any point in time.

You mean, if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside, it's worth it.
I know that but it's hardly enforced if not at all.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:

Ah, why? What is wrong with the current law against purchasing for those prohibited from owning a firearm? It's a reasonable restriction and one I support.

What exactly would banning the resale of a firearm for some arbitrary 90 day limit accomplish? 99.9% of people buying (and selling) firearms do so legally. Would you make a criminal out of someone that sells his shotgun to a buddy (who is legally able to buy one) after 89 days?

Old 02-13-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
It is illegal in every state. That is federal law, and the responsibity of the executive branch to enforce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies