Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 10:36 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,678,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanguy View Post
It's freaking scary how many of these conservative Christian types seemingly lack any understanding of science.

Swanson: Wombs of Women on Birth Control 'Embedded' with 'Dead Babies' | Right Wing Watch
Hey man. When youre a republicon you always party like its 1199!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 10:44 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,295,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETI_listener View Post
Is there a rebuttal to the statement? My leap to logic relies on understanding hormonal birth control suppresses ovulation, creates a poor environment for attachment of fertilized eggs, and reduces menstrual flow right? So if an egg makes it by gets fertilized, grows poorly and dies and is not flushed from a powerful menses, I say possible? I am all for preventing pregnancy, and if this is the case for birth control, it needs to be classified an abortifacient.
The uterus is self-cleaning. Reduced flow is not going to result in zygotes stuck all over; reduced flow is due to reduced amount of endometrium caused by the HBC (hormonal birth control). What is there leaves during withdrawal bleeds (women on HBC do not have true periods). Add to that the fact that most fertilized eggs do not implant. If I recall correctly (and I'm too tired to go find the actual figure tonight), there's about a 25% chance of implantation. And that implanted zygote will not necessarily go on to even become a fetus, as most are miscarried before the woman knows she's pregnant, or very soon after.

Hope that helps. If I haven't completely forgotten about this thread in the morning, I'll try to find some good information for you.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:58 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,077,988 times
Yep, this was a really stupid thing for this guy to say. About as stupid as these jewels:

"In Delaware, the largest growth of population is Indian Americans, moving from India. You cannot go to a 7/11 or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. I'm not joking." Joe Biden

"Don't fear the terrorists. They're mothers and fathers." Rosie ODonnell

"My fear is that the whole island will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize," Congressman Hank Johnson

"African Americans watch the same news at night that ordinary Americans do." Bill Clinton

"The number one job facing the middle class, and it happens to be, as Barack says, a three-letter word: jobs. J-O-B-S." Joe Biden - again.

"There is no terrorist threat. Yes, there have been horrific acts of terrorism and, yes, there will be acts of terrorism again. But that doesn't mean that there's some kind of massive terrorist threat." Michael Moore

"If you take out the killings, Washington actually has a very very low crime rate." Marion Barry

"Eight more days and I can start telling the truth again" Sen. Chris Dodd, on the campaign trail.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:58 PM

593 posts, read 1,412,854 times
Two points:

My uber religious family member would only use hormone birth control specifically because it did not cause an abortion of a fertilized embryo.

There's no way that dead tissue would stay in a uterus as this wack job described. That would cause major health problems at some point for many woman and would be an epidemic if that was actually true.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:33 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,495,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanguy View Post
It's freaking scary how many of these conservative Christian types seemingly lack any understanding of science.

Swanson: Wombs of Women on Birth Control 'Embedded' with 'Dead Babies' | Right Wing Watch
This must be what happens when a woman's body can't shut it down.

[it's like a nuclear chain reaction...]

Old 02-05-2013, 11:47 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,117,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yep, this was a really stupid thing for this guy to say. About as stupid as these jewels:
Quote:
"There is no terrorist threat. Yes, there have been horrific acts of terrorism and, yes, there will be acts of terrorism again. But that doesn't mean that there's some kind of massive terrorist threat." Michael Moore
I absolutely agree with this one.

Quote:
"Eight more days and I can start telling the truth again" Sen. Chris Dodd, on the campaign trail.
And what a refreshingly honest and poignant statement.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:36 AM

723 posts, read 2,195,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETI_listener View Post
Is there a rebuttal to the statement? My leap to logic relies on understanding hormonal birth control suppresses ovulation, creates a poor environment for attachment of fertilized eggs, and reduces menstrual flow right?
It also thickens the cervical mucus . So if the sperm can even get in, it is able to get in then all the other stuff happens.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:50 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,884,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
I knew a woman that was having pain. The md's ended up taking a hunk of hair, piece of bone and a tooth out of one of her ovaries.
^ as sickofnyc said, this is a fairly common result of advanced tumors, which are basically cellular anomalies that grow unchecked, causing damage to the body. Something can go haywire and tell the body that it needs to start growing teeth in your stomach, hair in your lung, or a new bone in your rectum... these are extreme examples of course, but regardless, your friend did not have a partially-developed fetus in one of her ovaries - first of all, fetuses don't develop in ovaries... secondly, the stage at which the fetus would have had hair, bone, and teeth, she would have had a fairly-noticable miscarriage/stillbirth. My ex had one; it was horrifying. It's not the sort of thing that would just kinda happen unbeknownst to the woman.

Additionally... when a woman miscarries, it's not like the dead fetus goes through a garbage disposal or anything; It'd remain largely intact. If her body had been unable to eject it from her uterus for some reason, then it would have stayed in there as a dead mass and necrosis would have set in, making the mother violently ill. She would have gone to the hospital and they would have had to remove it and ascertained, in the process, that it was a miscarried fetus.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:05 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,549,207 times
Oh good lord. It's my body, my uterus. If I'm a sinner, then God and me will work it out, everyone else needs to deal with their own problems and stay the hell out of mine. Cast the first stone, seriously, I can handle it.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 02-06-2013 at 01:17 AM..

Old 02-06-2013, 01:13 AM

2,608 posts, read 2,100,545 times
Sicko baby KILLERS....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies