Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 08:54 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,003,558 times

Advertisements

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20071105/nichols
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 01:54 AM

989 posts, read 2,763,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Al is great! I'm hoping my MN friend votes for him!

In all fairness though... The Nation (your source) prides itself on it's "liberal media bias". He is still doing quite well, and I think he will win.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:09 PM

264 posts, read 695,597 times
Makes about as much sense as Rush Limbaugh running for a Senate seat.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:11 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,003,558 times
Franken isn't as deceptive and ideologically pure.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:47 PM

989 posts, read 2,763,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellinghamite View Post
Makes about as much sense as Rush Limbaugh running for a Senate seat.
Comparing Franken to Limbaugh is just plain silly.

Franken graduated college (Harvard), Rush dropped out

Franken has never been addicted to drugs, let alone the extend that Rush has (involving others, getting arrested, etc)

Franken has had a long and successful career(s) his whole life. Rush was a total failure in life until he started in radio when he was middle aged.

Franken has been happily married to the same person for several decades and has children. Rush has been thrice divorced and no kids.

Franken actually does interviews and talks to people that he doesn't always agree with. Rush surrounds himself in a cocoon of right-wingedness and virtually never takes interviews... when he does it is usually from another ideologue. The general public hasn't (and likely wouldn't) protest Franken like they have Rush (i.e. Pat Sajak show)

Old 10-21-2007, 12:51 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,137,745 times
Perhaps some would like to review Franken's career:

Al Franken - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He's been a political activist for decades.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:50 PM

264 posts, read 695,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlevo View Post

Franken has never been addicted to drugs, let alone the extend that Rush has (involving others, getting arrested, etc)

Franken has had a long and successful career(s) his whole life. Rush was a total failure in life until he started in radio when he was middle aged.

Franken has been happily married to the same person for several decades and has children. Rush has been thrice divorced and no kids.

Franken actually does interviews and talks to people that he doesn't always agree with. Rush surrounds himself in a cocoon of right-wingedness and virtually never takes interviews... when he does it is usually from another ideologue. The general public hasn't (and likely wouldn't) protest Franken like they have Rush (i.e. Pat Sajak show)
I know Franken mainly for his work as an television entertainer (his radio program didn't last long, as I recall.)

Limbaugh is also an entertainer of sorts--if you happen to be entertained by him. And he has been in radio for nearly all of his adult life. He didn't become a household name, however, until he got a nationally-syndicated show when he was in his early forties.

Both men are nationally-known media personalities with a strong ideological bent and neither has ever held elective office. One of them has written a book about the other, eruditely titled, "Rush Limbaugh is a Big, Fat Idiot."

Last edited by Bellinghamite; 10-21-2007 at 03:12 PM..

Old 10-21-2007, 03:16 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,570,934 times
Pres. Bush and Pres. Chavez are the same. They are both leaders (or sorts) and one called the other "The Devil".
That is pretty simplistic analysis.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:35 PM

5,770 posts, read 11,404,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlevo View Post

Interesting contrasts between the 2. Although I sometimes don't agree with Al Franken, I think he is a great person to listen to in an interview format, where he gives great ad lib replies to questions. His wit and insight when speaking to various audiences is great too, it's not just all about politics. One of the best (and funniest) public speeches I've ever seen was Al Franken at a White House press corps dinner many years ago, it was a great look at "inside the beltway" as viewed from "outside the beltway", maybe something like what Will Rogers might have said to a bunch of Washington insiders 75 years ago.

With Rush, it is all about politics, and you either agree with him on just about everything or he will perceive you to be an idiot. I may agree with Rush about many issues, but I don't care much for his approach, he seems quite taken with his own persona.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:37 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,467,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Interesting contrasts between the 2. Although I sometimes don't agree with Al Franken, I think he is a great person to listen to in an interview format, where he gives great ad lib replies to questions. His wit and insight when speaking to various audiences is great too, it's not just all about politics. One of the best (and funniest) public speeches I've ever seen was Al Franken at a White House press corps dinner many years ago, it was a great look at "inside the beltway" as viewed from "outside the beltway", maybe something like what Will Rogers might have said to a bunch of Washington insiders 75 years ago.

Is this the event to which you're referring?

YouTube - Media Matters panel discussion - April 6, 2006
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies