Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 06:03 PM

38,559 posts, read 22,429,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
Senator Cruz uses his ten minutes in a senate hearing addressing "gun control" to lend just a bit of sanity in a battle that has gone way off course and out-of-hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=Wi6gZU01yF8
He offers very good points, which will all be ignored by agenda driven politicians, and the sheep who only exist to follow their lead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 06:07 PM

38,559 posts, read 22,429,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nice.

Still though, this is the dweeb that just said that Kerry and Hagel weren't friends of the military. LMAO...imagine that.

That pretty much makes him an idiot.
Kerry is the same man who used lies and false testimony before congress to slander all our soldiers serving in Vietnam.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:22 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,141,669 times
Quote:
I was very kind and provided you a link so you didn't have to trouble yourself with stupid questions.
That was very kind of you. I actually did watch it, he told us what we are doing wrong but doesn't offer any solutions.... I was wondering if I missed something?

Old 01-31-2013, 06:29 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,886,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
That was very kind of you. I actually did watch it, he told us what we are doing wrong but doesn't offer any solutions.... I was wondering if I missed something?
The solution was in his demonstration - to educate yourself on the issue before you take a stance.

That was his entire point, is that much of the anti-gun crowd was under/misinformed on what exactly they want "controlled", and the rational of how to do it.

He actually had a two-part presentation, which we heard him request, but was denied. Maybe that was where he would elaborate on possible solutions, I don't know.

I just appreciated the logical analysis, sans emotion, that we received from his demonstration.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
The solution was in his demonstration - to educate yourself on the issue before you take a stance.

That was his entire point, is that much of the anti-gun crowd was under/misinformed on what exactly they want "controlled", and the rational of how to do it.

He actually had a two-part presentation, which we heard him request, but was denied. Maybe that was where he would elaborate on possible solutions, I don't know.

I just appreciated the logical analysis, sans emotion, that we received from his demonstration.
Well alright then, I guess I was thinking something new would have been said. But yes, he did add some sanity to this issue. We still need gun control laws for the 21st century, not the 18th.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:38 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,642,266 times
He's right. Acting right after a major disaster on sheer emotion is always the worst policy and always creates the worst laws. But interest groups know that, which is why they pushed to "act now" and not wait because they know that when the dust clears, the facts will still remain: gun control doesn't prevent gun violence and criminals don't obey gun laws.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:53 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,886,175 times
Quote:
Well alright then, I guess I was thinking something new would have been said. But yes, he did add some sanity to this issue. We still need gun control laws for the 21st century, not the 18th.
Well, that was also part of his demonstration. I think he's suggesting that laws be made in accordance with the effectiveness of previous gun control legislation, and he cited statistics which showed those efforts failed.

I don't think he was against gun control as a general concept for preventing this sort of tragedy, I think he was against the illogical, knee jerk reactions we see in congress in response to these tragedies, and how they are quick to exploit these tragedies for political leverage.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:36 PM

45,823 posts, read 27,459,239 times
Quote:
You missed the evidence that the proposed legislation is useless and takes away freedoms from people who have not broken the law.

He said the focus should be on punishing the criminals. He said we need to put people in the judiciary that would enforce the law instead of letting them walk and kill again.

You can miss a lot when you aren't looking for answers - but instead are looking to score points for your team.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:41 PM

71 posts, read 60,864 times
This is perhaps the best video to date for someone who wants to understand the gun control issue before forming an opinion.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You missed the evidence that the proposed legislation is useless and takes away freedoms from people who have not broken the law.

He said the focus should be on punishing the criminals. He said we need to put people in the judiciary that would enforce the law instead of letting them walk and kill again.

You can miss a lot when you aren't looking for answers - but instead are looking to score points for your team.
So his solution is to focus on punishing the criminals? It was nothing more than rhetoric. While he supported your side and I agree that the proposed legislation is useless, he supports the status quo until he makes a more compelling case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies