Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 07:34 AM

34,285 posts, read 83,805,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
...I am starting to be somewhat worried about the gun debate in this country
turning into something more than just debates and compromise.
Starting to? You're late to the party.

You can blame the lessons learned in the "death by a thousand cuts" politics by terroristic attrition
that the so called "pro life" faction has been using for 40 years to beat back what they don't like.

No matter what concession is granted and no matter what favorable legislation is passed...
it isn't enough. It'll never be enough.

The same sort of false analogies and extreme cases that have almost nothing to do with reality
get paraded around as though there is some immediate threat to everything everyone holds dear
because someone somewhere might want to exercise their right to do X (or Y or Z).

The right to make a choice without the ability to exercise it... isn't much of a choice at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 07:40 AM

45,543 posts, read 26,851,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
This is why the NRA has really let their members down IMO. They should have gotten out front of this thing after Newtown. They should have pledged to work with the government to come up with some common sense measures to try and prevent another Sandy Hook.

I really don't think lawful gun owners have much to worry about. I'm a Democrat, a non-hunter or gun owner and even though I believe assault style weapons and high volume clips should not be available to the general public, I would not support any laws that restrict hunting rifles or handguns that people use to protect their own property.

Conceal and carry permits I think are given out too easily but that's another issue.
Translation: lets start with the little stuff and gradually go after the other

Old 01-26-2013, 08:04 AM

38,856 posts, read 25,770,352 times
Default Dear eddie:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

But us commie leftists DO appreciate all you conservatives and your sudden "bleeding heart" concern about the mentally ill.
Please feel free to hold a pity party for all the deranged bast*rds who act on some unfathomable compulsion to commit mass murder.

I hope you won't be offended if I don't attend.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:10 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,911,753 times
This cop is advocating arming up! For once I find myself agreeing.

MILWAUKEE
—Milwaukee County's sheriff is urging citizens to learn to handle firearms -- so they can defend themselves until authorities arrive.

Sheriff David Clarke Jr. released the radio ad this week telling residents that when it comes to personal safety: "I need you in the game."

Read more: Milwaukee County sheriff urges residents to arm themselves | Milwaukee County - WISN Home

Old 01-26-2013, 09:03 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,882,092 times
Our local law enforcement personnel told my family the same thing recently. We have a mentally ill family member who is violent and has threatened us repeatedly. The DAs office has told us that he WILL get out and that they consider him to be a high risk to himself and others but that they simply can't keep him "locked up forever." So eventually he'll get out - and nearly certainly behave violently and in a threatening manner again.

They told us to arm ourselves and be prepared to defend ourselves, because they can't be everywhere all the time and frankly we can't count on the system to protect us from someone like this person.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:19 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,846,110 times
Quote:
I'm never on conspiracy trains, Obama was born in America, 9/11 wasn't an inside job, etc. but I am starting to be somewhat worried about the gun debate in this country turning into something more than just debates and compromise.

Rahm Emanuel Urges Major Banks to Stop Serving Gun Makers Unless They Support ‘Common Sense’ Gun Control | TheBlaze.com
Government's basic job is to protect our fundamental rights against people who would violate them or take them away. If the government doesn't do that, then there is no reason to have that government.

And if the government is the one doing the violating and taking away.....

The people who originally set up our government, saw this coming a long way away. And they said flatly that such government abuse was unacceptable, and was not to be tolerated.

"...when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government,..."

Bad things happen when the government abuses the people's fundamental rights. Rahm and the other Obamanites would do well to remember that.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:19 AM

41,109 posts, read 25,954,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
It never ceases to amaze. Then they will listen to dear government even though they are proven liars and media manipulators. All one need do is look at Project Mockingbird where the CIA was paying off news editors and reporters as confirmed in senate hearings.

Now this nonsense where politicians are telling private business who they should and shouldn't do business with is unbelievable. The big five and the government are one in the same anymore. Too big to fail and when they do it will take down the world with em. That is how big they've gotten. A reset is in order.
Too big to fail just like the big banks Obama said he would do something about. The government is too big but when it fails there will be no one to bail the government out. Oh except forming a new world government.

Is anyone watching the news or being told about what is going on over in Egypt? It's a replay of how Castro got into power. Are the Egyptian people armed because all they do is throw stones as the (supposed to be) Democratic government positions itself with more power.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:27 AM

59,543 posts, read 27,902,071 times
Quote:
I'm never on conspiracy trains, Obama was born in America, 9/11 wasn't an inside job, etc. but I am starting to be somewhat worried about the gun debate in this country turning into something more than just debates and compromise.

Rahm Emanuel Urges Major Banks to Stop Serving Gun Makers Unless They Support ‘Common Sense’ Gun Control | TheBlaze.com
You are, I thought, old enough to remember the Clinton War Room?

And Obama's, Don't bring a knife to a gun fight".

Old 01-26-2013, 09:30 AM

344 posts, read 430,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
When one can't refute what is in a link they always cry about the source as if the source itself is some sort of Conspiracy. Then they turn and call conspiracy folks nuts. It never ceases to amaze. Then they will listen to dear government even though they are proven liars and media manipulators. All one need do is look at Project Mockingbird where the CIA was paying off news editors and reporters as confirmed in senate hearings.

Now this nonsense where politicians are telling private business who they should and shouldn't do business with is unbelievable. The big five and the government are one in the same anymore. Too big to fail and when they do it will take down the world with em. That is how big they've gotten. A reset is in order.
That is what sheep do. They follow blindly regardless.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:37 AM

344 posts, read 430,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
This is why the NRA has really let their members down IMO. They should have gotten out front of this thing after Newtown. They should have pledged to work with the government to come up with some common sense measures to try and prevent another Sandy Hook.

I really don't think lawful gun owners have much to worry about. I'm a Democrat, a non-hunter or gun owner and even though I believe assault style weapons and high volume clips should not be available to the general public, I would not support any laws that restrict hunting rifles or handguns that people use to protect their own property.

Conceal and carry permits I think are given out too easily but that's another issue.
Quote:
They should have pledged to work with the government to come up with some common sense measures to try and prevent another Sandy Hook.
Are you still under the impression that a gun ban would have somehow prevented Sandy Hook? Even a psychopathic Child could have found a firearm in the black market. Its pretty simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies