Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 12:16 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,239,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I am a well noted Ron Paul supporter,though I don't see it as a sticking your head in the sand approach but rather a approach of being very careful on handling foreign affairs and commiting troops to a battlefield.

The big question is would Iran use a first strike even though it would bring a wrath down upon them,do they worry about M.A.D or are they just mad enough to not worry about their own demise.

Diplomacy does need to be used more though,on one hand you must maintain a strong stance but not arrogantly while using diplomacy as a main tool.

Russia,I'm not sure whats going on with them,we have had decent relations with them since the cold war,it's in both parties interest to maintain it because America and Russia stand alot more to loose by going to war with each other than Iranian issues.
“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”
— H.L. Mencken

Followed up by the words of one of America's most famous generals

The powers in charge keep us in a perpetual state of fear keep us in a continuous stampede of patriotic fervor with the cry of grave national emergency. Always there has been some terrible evil to gobble us up if we did not blindly rally behind it by furnishing the exorbitant sums demanded. Yet, in retrospect, these disasters seem never to have happened, seem never to have been quite real.
- General Douglas MacArthur

The greatest source of isolationism is FEAR which is where we are today.

During the Cuban missile crisis we used diplomacy to diffuse a very serious and real threat, but today we are willing to first go to war based upon "what if, and maybe"

Todays Republicans would hate Ronald Reagan who also put down his sword in favor of diplomacy with Russia. Also note the Ronald Reagan suggested America stay away from engaging in the Middle East. Here is a series of Ronald Reagan quotes:

History teaches that war begins when governments believe the price of aggression is cheap.

Peace is not absence of conflict, it is the ability to handle conflict by peaceful means.

Our reluctance for conflict should not be misjudged as a failure of will.

The defense policy of the United States is based on a simple premise: The United States does not start fights. We will never be an aggressor.

Sounds to me like Ronald Reagan and Ron Paul spent a few hours on the porch, unlike the political hacks trying to invoke his name in messianic terms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 04:03 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,324,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Thankfully this saber-rattling nudnik will be shoveling bull manure in Texas instead of spewing it in Washington by the time Iran can even get close to having nukes.
hopefully it wont be a clone that gets the presidency, like lets say, giuliani.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:37 PM

9,920 posts, read 10,880,676 times
[quote=TnHilltopper;1766038]“[quote]
Oh Please! Ron Paul couldnt carry Reagans jock strap! What selective memories we have, Reagans most vociferous critics were over his defense spending and military build up, same principles and philosophy I have been advocating. You cant have it both ways, either you believe America is that shining city on a hill as Reagan did or you can grovel in apathy and mediocrity with Ron Paul! Ronald Reagan would have never turned a deaf ear to a leader such as Ahmadidjad or Putin!

Old 10-18-2007, 06:41 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,191,292 times
Love this tongue in cheek, lilypad.

I think I noticed a large empty place for a large mansion somewhere between Bolivia and Peru--Lake Titicaca has a small island with lots of good views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I thought we were already in WW3 and just hit a lull spot.....anyway, El Presidente Jorge needs to get out of bed with Putin, learn to say "nuclear", keep his mouth shut and slink away in 2008 to whatever South American country he has bought up. Talks with these rogue nations are always a good thing to start with, (hey, Billie might even get his old job back), as long as we have our missiles pointed in the right direction(s).

As for me, I am always looking for a place to hide...

Old 10-18-2007, 06:42 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,191,292 times
Don't we have enuf Paul threads in 2008 Elections?

Old 10-18-2007, 06:58 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,815,447 times
What is funny (or perhaps just pathetic?) about this is nobody even flinched when Bush came out with this, he is so far gone. Imagine if a credible US President had started spouting World War 3 talk...What would the world reaction be?

With Bush its just, there he goes again with his IslamoFascistTerroristEvilDoer talk. (Yawn).

Old 10-19-2007, 09:55 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,683,949 times
Will consider only if it is US Territory, ontheroad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies