Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 11:28 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,404,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
To put it plainly it dosen't matter whether your innocent, guilty, paranoid, confident, sad, sick, happy, sullen etc.......
Exactly and you'll get the same advice from anyone involved with law enforcement or the judicial system, keep your mouth shut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 11:32 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,885,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Most people are unaware that the laws concerning your rights have changed since 9/11. A ruling by the Supreme Court recently stated that a crime suspect's words could be used against him if he failed to clearly invoke his rights clearly and, instead, answered a single question.
In addition the court said that a citizen must invoke his rights. If he fails to do so, anything he says can be used to convict him.
What this means is literally the Supreme Court is telling you in any contact with police you should provide identification, insurance, registration as required by law and nothing more unless you are represented by legal counsel.
There is no such thing as a friendly talk with a police officer. If an officer is talking to you he is attempting to establish evidence against you.
Let the police officer do all the talking and you stay silent. The Supreme Court has recently ruled that you should NOT talk to a police officer without a lawyer and you must say out loud "I'm going to remain silent."

The Supreme Court has ruled that if a police officer doesn't force you to do something, then you're doing it "voluntarily." That means if the police officer starts being intimidating and you do what he "ask" because you're "afraid," you still have done it voluntarily. (Florida v. Bostick, 1991) If you do what the police officer "ask" you to do such as allowing him to search your car or answer any of his questions, you are 'voluntarily' complying with his 'requests.' So don't comply, just keep your mouth shut unless you say "Am I Free to Go?" or "I don't consent to a search."

The only words you should ever say to a police officer are "Am I free to go" "I am going to remain silent" and "I do not consent to a search".

Will this make them angry? Yes. Are you willing to stand up and risk someone getting angry with you to protect the Bill of Rights, and the freedom that so many have fought and died for?
The police are going to search you whether or not you want to be searched. "Probable cause" is useless because the police are going to say "he appeared to be speeding" or "he crossed the center line" or "his car appeared to be of 2 colors" and they are going to search you. And if you say no, they will bring out drug dogs that will bark and scratch at anything to get a warrant to search your car or your house. When they searched mine, it was only on the word of another criminal trying to save his ass from jail. They got a warrant and busted my house when I was not even home. If you say you don't want them to search, do you think they are just going to say "OK sir be on your merry way"? It doesn't work that way.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
I guess my "lights on" moment on this subject came a number of years ago when I learned that when any member of law enforcement (officers, detectives, beat cops, prosecutors etc...) is talking to you (outside of sworn testimony in court) they can lie to you about anything, tell you wild stories with no truth in them, and tell you flat out bold faced lies in their mission to get you scared into talking and not involking your right to remain silent.

This is when I first realized that unfortunately, you can't and SHOULDN'T belive anything that law enforcement tells you if you're detained or arrested for any reason.......whether you're innocent or guilty.....but especially if you're innocent. Regardless of how simple or innocuous the questions they are asking you....they ARE attempting to build a case against you can bet that every word you say can and will be used against you.

Prior to my afore mentioned "lights on" moment mentioned above, I had, in my naivety, previously believed that members of law enforcement would certainly be exptected to be truthful when speaking to you in any official capacity. Aparantly while you're expected to be truthful when speaking to them....they are held to no such standard when speaking to you. I believe that this situation should be changed....but I don't really expect that to happen any time soon. I would think law enforcement should be involved in a search for the truth of any given matter.....lying by one party seems to be a strange way to get to the truth of the entire situation. If I'm lying to my neighbor all the time....why would I expect him to be telling me the truth all the time ? A culture built on lies....will just create more distrust and more lies all around. Karma may even come into this.....you tell lies, you better expect lies back at some point.

And we wonder why we live in such a cynical society.....because it's the one we've allowed to happen. The very people we've put in charge (elected officials and law enforcement) seemingly are able to lie to us at will and with impunity.
And they will too. I remember the narco telling me "look man, it is only marijuana and it isn't that big a deal". When I got out of prison 2 years later, I remembered that.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:38 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,962,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Any cops that I have known were indeed "just after the bad guy". This is really a weird thread.
That is correct because you have never been considered a bad guy or in question. It dosen't rule out the fact that you might not someday.

You didn't watch the video did you.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Exactly and you'll get the same advice from anyone involved with law enforcement or the judicial system, keep your mouth shut.
You just have to remember the policeman's job is to put people in jail. The more people he puts in jail, the better he is doing his job. His job is not to help you or be your friend in any way, shape or form. His job is to lock you up. I am not saying there is anything wrong with that, some people need to be locked up. But you should always keep that in mind when you deal with them. I already know that, as somebody with a felony, I am especially at risk even if it was 26 years ago.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:43 AM

12,264 posts, read 6,546,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Cops are just people given a badge and some authority by the government. Like people few are bad and few good, the vast majority are just out there for their paycheck and don't give a damn about you. The only way to protect yourself is not to play games stacked against you like talking to police. Treat every police officer as a con artist, everything he says think of an angle he's trying to get you with.
I`ve got a friend who does it your way and treats the police as con artists. When he gets pulled over for speeding he`ll ask the cop if he needed to get his quota for the day. It hasn`t gotten him out of one speeding ticket to date.Keep the window up and show attitude? Bad advice.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:47 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,235,898 times
So called "law enforcement" in this country is not your friend. They don't care if you're Democrat or Republican, right or left, Liberal or Conservative. They are collectively the biggest bunch of thug punks you're apt to encounter. They will lie to you, steal from you, injure you or kill you and walk away. They will totally screw up your life if they can. They deserve the worst that can possibly happen to them as far as I'm concerned. It takes a low life scum bag to get into a position that deprives people of their Constitutional rights and denies due process on a routine regular basis. And they get pleasure out of it.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:48 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,092,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Never talk to the cops no matter how innocent you are , you should watch this:

Dont Talk to Police - YouTube
My favorite. i'm always passing this along

Old 01-05-2013, 11:55 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,174,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Yeah, sure blame the victim.
I have blamed no one in any post in this thread.

<snip> long story <snip>

So why is it the police's fault that some woman called them on you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz
Later I called the police station and talked to one of the cops, then to his supervisor. I wanted them to investigate the lady who had called 911 on me, if nothing else to try to prevent this from happening to some other poor schlub. I went round & round w/ them, but they declined to look into it. They said she probably just had a "misperception." So they were happy to grill me, but they didn't want to look into her false accusation.
So... your problem with the police turns out to be nothing more than a pathetic whine because they would not cooperate in your puerile attempt at revenge? Because I have to tell you, you have done yourself no favor with this story. What exactly did you hallucinate there was to "investigate?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz
Sometimes, no matter how much you mind your own business, use your turn signals, don't litter, etc. you can find yourself caught up in 'stuff.'
Welcome to the human condition. Sometimes the "stuff" people get "caught up in" (oh... earthquakes, tsunami's, a crazy dude in body armor armed to his teeth in a dark movie theater) are actually serious.

Your tragic tale? Not so much.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:55 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,404,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I`ve got a friend who does it your way and treats the police as con artists. When he gets pulled over for speeding he`ll ask the cop if he needed to get his quota for the day. It hasn`t gotten him out of one speeding ticket to date.Keep the window up and show attitude? Bad advice.
Asserting your rights doesn't include insulting them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies