Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 09:15 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
It's just the beginning....Vote Democrat.

What would that accomplish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 09:17 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Big deal! Your taxes went up 2%. We live on investments and our taxes went up from 15% to 24% and I am not whinning one little bit. When a country has bills they need to be paid. My math tells me that is 9%.

And every time someone talks about fixing the problem they don't suggest stopping throwing away money on other countries or requiring that people go to work to pay for their own families like we have done for years while paying so our parents could collect their SS; they want to take our hard earned money away from us and give it to bail out companies that are paying their executives millions of dollars to earn nothing and ship jobs overseas.

The way I see it is that if a dress costs $100 and you cannot afford it; you certainly cannot afford to pay that plus interest by borrowing the money. I figured that out a long time ago when working on the family budget. What you do is do without everything you can and only spend on necessary things.

Our government is ignoring that we cannot afford the dress and think that somehow we can spend our way out of this. I could be thrown off city-data by telling you the raw truth of what I think about this government. Why did we elect such stupid people? Maybe because we have so many stupid people voting.

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
No, it impacts everyone.

Oh you're right about that one..cap gains from 15% to 20% does effect everyone.
I was thinking of the others that only effect the $400K+ folks.

I did a wash trade last month to take profit on one stock that really took off since 2009.
I figured even if renewed that 15% rate wouldn't last long.
But now my cost basis is higher so when I do sell the profits will be smaller.

The difference in tax was significant for me.

I had read about what happened the last time the cap gains tax was changed.
There was a flurry of selling in Dec. and the next year tax revenue was sky high because of it but the year after tax revenue was actually lower than projected from it.

That always seems to happen when you give people advance notice of tax changes.
They proactively do something to avoid them.

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Guess so. That was my status quo, though.

So in my reality, all my taxes are going up.
Look at the good side... as your income shifts to capital gains (when you hit your 30s and 40s), you'll be paying lower taxes overall since the new deal locks in the discounted tax rates.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:18 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Look at the good side... as your income shifts to capital gains (when you hit your 30s and 40s), you'll be paying lower taxes overall since the new deal locks in the discounted tax rates.
I'm 36 and I have plenty of capital gains.
*sigh*

Old 01-03-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Big deal! Your taxes went up 2%. We live on investments and our taxes went up from 15% to 24% and I am not whinning one little bit. When a country has bills they need to be paid.

The way I see it is that if a dress costs $100 and you cannot afford it; you certainly cannot afford to pay that plus interest by borrowing the money. I figured that out a long time ago when working on the family budget. What you do is do without everything you can and only spend on necessary things.

Our government is ignoring that we cannot afford the dress and think that somehow we can spend our way out of this. I could be thrown off city-data by telling you the raw truth of what I think about this government. Why did we elect such stupid people? Maybe because we have so many stupid people voting.
A dress ? No, our government went out and bought 1000 dresses on the credit card and the bill is being sent to us

Old 01-03-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
*sigh*
And why didn't you take advantage last year and do wash trades ?
You can do a wash to take profits you know and there's no waiting period to buy back.

I did that with one stock and will pay my 15% cap gains.
But now my cost basis is lower so when I sell there's less to tax at 20%.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
*sigh*
So rather than paying 39% or whatever, you get to pay 20%. Big win imo.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
So rather than paying 39% or whatever, you get to pay 20%. Big win imo.
But no longer able to pay 15%..loss IMO.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But no longer able to pay 15%..loss IMO.
Yes, that was my initial point. Most of my income is now taxed at a rate higher than 5%. There's nothing that I could have done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies