Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this appointment a conflict of interest?
Yes, this is a conflict of interest and she should not be appointed 28 71.79%
no, not a conflict of interest and we should embrace this person as head of Family Planning 10 25.64%
don't know 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 11:27 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,120,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Try the correct phrase, pro-choice. I don't want to put anyone in any position they don't want to be in ... I want them to be able to choose.

But you knew that.

Just like you know that it's anti-choice, not pro-life; that's those of you who believe in the right to life until birth.
So the opposite must be anti-life...pro-abortion, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 11:30 AM

I don't think this is a conflict of interest. This woman wants to discourage people from having promiscuous sex...because one of the consequences of that is CHILDREN and STD's...like it or not, sex can create children. Instead of teaching children how to have sex we should let their parents teach them about the value of a sexual relationship within a monogamous relationship. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:19 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,509,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
I don't think this is a conflict of interest. This woman wants to discourage people from having promiscuous sex...because one of the consequences of that is CHILDREN and STD's...like it or not, sex can create children. Instead of teaching children how to have sex we should let their parents teach them about the value of a sexual relationship within a monogamous relationship. Nothing wrong with that.
I'm not sure how you gathered what her motivations are. It seems to me that she wants to stop providing funding for contraceptives. Contraception is part of adults behaving responsibly. How can anyone be opposed to that?

Or did you (or she) seriously think that people will now, thousands of years after the dawn of man, stop having intercourse for pleasure?

Old 04-04-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I'm not sure how you gathered what her motivations are. It seems to me that she wants to stop providing funding for contraceptives. Contraception is part of adults behaving responsibly. How can anyone be opposed to that?

Or did you (or she) seriously think that people will now, thousands of years after the dawn of man, stop having intercourse for pleasure?
I don't think people will stop having intercourse, I think they should have to accept the consequences of their actions.

Why should the government (tax dollars) go towards "responsible" adults engaging in sex acts? I'm opposed to that...so there's at least one person you found. Tax dollars shouldn't go towards condoms or pills for people who choose to engage in those behaviors...

Old 04-04-2008, 12:24 PM

7,191 posts, read 4,786,178 times
Quote:
It goes beyond that.

Ms. Orr does not want health insurance companies to offer birth control scripts and services, i.e. tubal ligations, to their subscribers.

Example:

Mr. & Mrs. X have been married for 12 years. They have three kids. Mr. X has a job with the federal govt. Let's say that his health insurance plan covers birth control pills, devices (i.e. diaphragm), sterilization (tubal ligation, vasectomies). Ms. Orr opposes those services being offered to Mr. and Mrs X because "fertility is not a disease". She opposes birth control period.

Frankly, I think Mr. and Mrs. X should be left alone.

You can tell teenagers what to do all you want...in the end it's a crapshoot. I know because I raised 4 of them.

People like Ms. Orr need to get a life.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I don't think people will stop having intercourse, I think they should have to accept the consequences of their actions.

Why should the government (tax dollars) go towards "responsible" adults engaging in sex acts? I'm opposed to that...so there's at least one person you found. Tax dollars shouldn't go towards condoms or pills for people who choose to engage in those behaviors...
I'd rather my tax dollars go to providing contraception than to supporting all the unwanted and unplanned children from cradle to grave. Somehow I think my choice costs the US less than yours.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I'd rather my tax dollars go to providing contraception than to supporting all the unwanted and unplanned children from cradle to grave. Somehow I think my choice costs the US less than yours.
You don't know what my other choices are...

How about ending all entitlement programs?! That would save a lot of money. The Federal government has no business creating these programs; what each state does depends on the voters and its Constitution.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:

How about ending all entitlement programs?! That would save a lot of money. The Federal government has no business creating these programs; what each state does depends on the voters and its Constitution.
How about this? Taken from the website:

Budget

Under "Budget"

"The Title X Family Planning program ["Population Research and Voluntary Family Planning Programs" (Public Law 91-572)], was enacted in 1970 as Title X of the Public Health Service Act. Title X is the only federal grant program dedicated solely to providing individuals with comprehensive family planning and related preventive health services. The Title X program is designed to provide access to contraceptive services, supplies and information to all who want and need them. By law, priority is given to persons from low- income families.

Is the irony not lost on you?

Old 04-04-2008, 05:06 PM

I don't see any irony. I see tax dollars going down the drain.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:47 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,155,226 times
Quote:

Hear! Hear!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies