Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 06:08 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,175,529 times

Advertisements

I think it's a good question irregardless of original motive and posing of it. To be honest, most Americans you see chiming in have never shot anyone, let alone see first hand what a bullet can do to a body. It's not all movie style and from first hand experience, it can be pretty rough on the psyche esp. seeing the life drain from someone's eyes (not pretty). There's a big difference between shooting a deer or a can and shooting a human. People who harp about what they would do is literally 90% talk and when faced with that situation, would fold.

I personally do not own a gun for one simple reason that all of these gun enthusiasts never tell you. It's all about upper hand. Once someone already has a gun on you, what the hell are you going to try to reach for, you're shot period unless the assailant doesn't have the stones to go through with it. A gang member, no longer has that problem and whacko wants to die anyway so that basically leaves average joe and average joe doesn't do that sort of thing. So unless you can somehow get the upper hand, having a gun is pointless unless you turn into the aggressor and pull first. Once someone goes in with a gun, drawn and ready, you are then at that person's mercy and playing hero will definitely get you shot as no one is that quick.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:09 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,402,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Well, most people would pee themselves before shooting someone in a "I'm going to be a hero" fashion. I doubt most people have killed anyone outside of a line of duty (military, police, etc) and never will. It's a fantasy. Hopefully.
I think Victoria Soto would have used it if she had had one. Her desire to protect the children under her care was so visceral that she gave her own life in an attempt to thwart a killer.

How sad that she didn't have a weapon. There could not be a better case made for the carrying of hand guns than this. She is an example for all.

Now read this: SelwynDuke.com: Revealing Gun-owners Names Reveals Truth

Old 12-31-2012, 06:11 AM

12,264 posts, read 6,521,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Funny how cars and accidents go hand in hand....yet you don't see anyone trying to ban cars.

Unfortunately, there are lots of children dead thanks to car drivers too...

Accidents happen but that is not reason to ban something. If it were, lots of things would be banned.
There was an accident in Newtown and Aurora Co.?

Old 12-31-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danes View Post
No. They're scared of their own little shawdows.
You obvioulsy know no gun owners. I do. I live in the country. Almost everyone has guns, and I can tell you that they not only know how to use them, but that they are definitely not "scared of their own shadows."

And it is not only men. Many women also have guns and hunt (my neighbors wife is an example).

Of course, among more famous women we have Sarah Palin.

It is you nut cases that believe guns are evil (and not the criminals who use them to do harm) who are leaving our children unprotected in schools where it is announced publicly that they are "gun free zones." Why not place a big target right on the front door of every "gun free" school? You are placing our children in danger! You pusillanimous fools!

Old 12-31-2012, 06:33 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,175,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
You obvioulsy know no gun owners. I do. I live in the country. Almost everyone has guns, and I can tell you that they not only know how to use them, but that they are definitely not "scared of their own shadows."

And it is not only men. Many women also have guns and hunt (my neighbors wife is an example).

Of course, among more famous women we have Sarah Palin.

It is you nut cases that believe guns are evil (and not the criminals who use them to do harm) who are leaving our children unprotected in schools where it is announced publicly that they are "gun free zones." Why not place a big target right on the front door of every "gun free" school? You are placing our children in danger! You pusillanimous fools!
Big difference between hunting and human, very big difference. I will surmise, sticking those country folk in some of the worse places, Detroit, South Side Chicago, Gary, New Orleans, you'll see how brave they truly are (they're not).

Old 12-31-2012, 06:35 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,896,066 times
Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I'm neither for nor against guns. Do whatever you want, just leave me alone.

I see all of you cowboys on here yapping about your gun rights and carrying a gun.

HAve you ever killed anyone? Just curious. I think a lot of you are weekend warriors.

MOST if not all of you don't want to end your comfy little lifestyles that you're lving and end up in prison.

Most of you are all talk. Have you killed anyone?
Owning a firearm and killing someone are not exclusively interconnected.

Foolish premise. Childish logic. Stupid post.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Funny how cars and accidents go hand in hand....yet you don't see anyone trying to ban cars.

Unfortunately, there are lots of children dead thanks to car drivers too...

Accidents happen but that is not reason to ban something. If it were, lots of things would be banned.
You're dealing with liberal "logic" here (or lack thereof).

I can't tell you how many young people (teens) have been killed in our local area over the years in auto accidents caused by them (or as passengers in those cars) when they hit a tree or utility pole or were hit by a train. There have been far more killed in this way than by gun accidents, and that includes hunting accidents.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:38 AM

23,773 posts, read 17,433,833 times
Might ask the same question of illegal drug users. Bet they have killed hundreds of children as their cash for drugs buys the gangs plently of illegakl firearms.

Pot smokers therfore have killed exponentially more than firearm owners.
Reason is strength mitigates violence.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:40 AM

59,554 posts, read 27,757,387 times
Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I'm neither for nor against guns. Do whatever you want, just leave me alone.

I see all of you cowboys on here yapping about your gun rights and carrying a gun.

HAve you ever killed anyone? Just curious. I think a lot of you are weekend warriors.

MOST if not all of you don't want to end your comfy little lifestyles that you're lving and end up in prison.

Most of you are all talk. Have you killed anyone?
If you think people carry guns just shoot people you are really stupid. Do please leave us alone.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:44 AM

59,554 posts, read 27,757,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Or Newtown Connecticut, or Aurora Colorado, or Colombine Colorado...

I'm against high-capacity rifles; the only reason why I'm not completely against guns is because we're too far gone in how many illegal weapons are in America. Some people are truly responsible with their guns, some may be completely responsible with a high-capacity weapon as well but that type of weapon shouldn't be a privilege anymore for everyone to obtain. Hell, look at the VA Tech massacre the guy didn't even use a high-capacity rifle if I'm not mistaken yet he still took somewhere north of 30 lives, so a massacre can happen with or without a high-capacity rifle. I just don't want to make it so easy for people to kill...that's all.

We do live in a society where guns are glorified, hell I even like guns but should I let my pleasure be the reason why lives end? Most people I've talked to on this site and the very few I've talked to in real life who own semi-automatic rifles pretty much stated something along the lines of I only want my semi-automatic because its fun to go to the range with or hunt. I understand that they are extremely fun to shoot (I shot a AR-15,.45, and .357 before) but at the same time while shooting one you have to imagine how much damage one can do with it. They are lethal weapons, so the least we could do without taking away the 2nd Amendment is to set some restrictions. You can have fun with a .357, it doesn't need to be a semi-automatic. And you can definitely defend yourself with a .357; it should be illegal to even kill anyone who breaks into ones home to shoot them with a AR-15, its a overkill. Kill them if you really feel the need to (meaning your life is on the line) but if you have the option between picking up a AR-15 and a .45, do me a favor and pick up the .45.
"We do live in a society where guns are glorified," Quit watching "adventure" movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.