Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 07:48 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,595,704 times

Advertisements

If the NRA ran daycare centers, they would be some of the safest in the nation.

NRA Sponsored - "Tommy Toting Tots!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 07:57 PM

32,389 posts, read 15,379,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995. You can thank Senator Schumer for sponsoring the bill. He is the one responsible for creating these Massacre Magnets.
Why would you blame him? You're as bad as the people blaming Adam Lanza's mother for having guns in the house and teaching him how to use them.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:05 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,784,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The real question you should be asking is what has happened to the children in today's society that they are committing these acts. Tighten up security at schools and then what's next in line ? Libraries, public malls, playscapes ?
I agree, but what do we do in the mean time? It will take a generation to change and we need to take action now.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Well....There isn't always something you can DO. I can't be safe from natural disasters that strike without warning either. I think we can be considerate of keeping people safe to a point, but then you have to accept that the world never was and never will be completely safe. I don't live in fear but I'm aware that anything could happen and any moment. And nobody/nothing should be blamed except for the person(s)/event that attacks. We spend a lot of time trying to assign blame don't we? And knee jerk reactions.

Maniac shooting at a school? Schools are unsafe and need to be protected by armed guards, police, military, lock those kids up!!! WTF? NO! It means we have some maniacs among us...always have and always will but we should NOT be designing our lives around them.

The fact that I'm not competely 100% safe from everything doesn't bother me and I don't know why it bothers so many people. We have all lived in the same world so where is the idea of nothing bad every happening coming from? There are limits to what I will do to remain "safe".
No one said you have to rearrange your life style, we're talking about shoring up the entrance's/exits so these maniacs don't have such easy access.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Why would you blame him? You're as bad as the people blaming Adam Lanza's mother for having guns in the house and teaching him how to use them.
You don't get it do you? Had the mother been more a more responsible gun owner, ths tradgedy would not have occured. Had she recognized her son had mental health issues, he could/should have taken action and removed the guns from the home or at least purchased a secure gun safe and locked them up. Put the blame where it is due, directly on the shooter and indirectly on the mother. Believe me, had she lived, I am sure she would have been charged. Who do you blame?

Old 12-24-2012, 06:12 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,375,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
No one said you have to rearrange your life style, we're talking about shoring up the entrance's/exits so these maniacs don't have such easy access.
The high schools in my district (Miami-Dade, FL) are huge - more like small college campuses. It would take a small contingent of armed guards to secure every one of them.

The HS in which I taught for 27 years has at least a dozen entrance/exit doors. Yes, all students/staff/visitors are supposed to use the monitored front entrance, where an armed security guard could be stationed, but anyone familiar with the school who wanted to get into the building with guns, could figure out a way to do it via the many other supposedly locked/secured doors. I suspect this would be the case for most of the schools in the US.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:34 AM

3,592 posts, read 3,793,967 times
Quote:
If the NRA ran daycare centers, they would be some of the safest in the nation.

NRA Sponsored - "Tommy Toting Tots!"

"Clips For Kids"

Old 02-04-2013, 05:00 PM

13,186 posts, read 12,401,129 times
I have question for those who think that this is such a good idea, who will pay for the substitute teachers while the regular ones are getting this unnecessary training? The NRA said that they won't, so I guess that the same people that will not pay for sex education, better books, or more teachers are willing to pay extra bucks so that little willie knows to stay away from guns and that teachers know how to shoot someone attacking the school. This is interesting since the police and military have to go through grueling training constantly to learn how to fight off attackers and teachers will be given a couple of weeks to master this fine art.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:18 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,595,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I have question for those who think that this is such a good idea, who will pay for the substitute teachers while the regular ones are getting this unnecessary training? The NRA said that they won't, so I guess that the same people that will not pay for sex education, better books, or more teachers are willing to pay extra bucks so that little willie knows to stay away from guns and that teachers know how to shoot someone attacking the school. This is interesting since the police and military have to go through grueling training constantly to learn how to fight off attackers and teachers will be given a couple of weeks to master this fine art.
Alaska is in the process of passing a State law (HB55) that will allow permanent school employees with a CCP to carry in schools. If they want a CCP the teacher must obtain it themselves, at their own expense, on their own time.

The Congress has their heads up their posterior, Alaska is going to effectively nullify the inane Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:41 PM

13,186 posts, read 12,401,129 times
Quote:
Alaska is in the process of passing a State law (HB55) that will allow permanent school employees with a CCP to carry in schools. If they want a CCP the teacher must obtain it themselves, at their own expense, on their own time.

The Congress has their heads up their posterior, Alaska is going to effectively nullify the inane Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995.
That makes more sense than anything else that I have heard, mainly since every state and city do not need guns in the schools. Rural states, fly over states Yes, I can understand because pretty much everyone has a gun anyway and there is a higher chance of one of them being crazy enough to shoot everybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies