Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 08:05 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,675,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
It's a "fingerprint gun".... it only works if the licensed/registered owner is the one holding the grip. If we made ALL guns with this feature, Newtown wouldn't have happened and responsible gun owners would not have their 2nd Amendment rights infringed upon. Heck, even my crappy laptop that I'm using to write this has this technology built-in, so I know it's not that expensive. It's been 100% reliable every day for years. Think of the accidental kid deaths this could save.

Fingerprint Gun For Better Public Security | Tuvie

How could the NRA argue against this?
How about a gun that pricks the user with a little needle, to check DNA? It could also then be used to check blood sugar levels for diabetics, which would be a really good sales pitch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 08:07 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,272,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
How about adding into it, a legal restriction, that automatically mandates law enforcement arrest the owner for any crimes using the gun committed by members added? Equal sentencing, no ability for either the prosecution or the judge to waive it. That would allow the rest of us some peace of mind knowing when you add members, you have "skin in the game".
Erm there's a small thing called due process, sure you've heard of it. Now we could get rid of it, but do we really want to? I mean get rid of it for one thing, and you've got to expect it to go for others, like for instance you and your spouse do separate tax returns, they screw up, and you both wind up getting prosecuted for tax evasion, they're your spouse, so you have "skin in the game". Or your kid borrows the car (doesn't ask permission, you know you just kind of assume the other parent gave it), gets drunk kills someone in a DUI, you're all charged with vehicular homicide, your car, your decision to let your kid drive (even though you didn't, hey it's only your word saying you didn't and your kid, well he's not credible since he's protecting his family, and it's a slam dunk, 3 homicide convictions look good on annual reports). Your other kid is taken into child protection. Or you're living in a shared apartment, there's a raid and your roomie has a gram or so of coke, you're both busted for possession, hey you're a resident, you should know what's happening in your home you have skin in the game. Want me to go on... I can do this kind of thing for days and days? Or are you thinking that you'll never be affected by something like that...? Uhhh-huh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Than we need a gun where access is blocked, until a recognized fingerprint has been identified.
Only if it works in all conditions, a recognized fingerprint has to be recognized in all conditions, of the reader and of the fingerprint, in all environments, or its not going to work, as wutitiz states, if the police or military are prepared to use it in all conditions then it should be good enough for me to use it, but there cannot be compulsory retrofitting, so it's limited anyway (it's that pesky constitution getting in the way again). However being electronic, it's unlikely to be as effective as people think, it's going to be hacked in a month at the outside, however there won't be any announcement made for around a year to 18 months if things go as they usually do, so that would be 18 months of firearms sold that people believe are tied to a few users (which means that they'll forget or ignore physical security), that in fact are wide open to anyone with some know how, and the people you do not want to get them are exactly the people who will have the know how.

For a real world example of how people adapt to safety systems, look at ABS Braking Systems and the effect they have on drivers, if a driver is used to non-ABS systems for the first month or so they gradually brake harder and later until they begin hitting the ABS point, then they'll back off slightly, however it's often not as safe a braking technique as they were doing without ABS in a non-ABS vehicle. The same principle will apply to this, people feel security devices add safety, which they can when used properly and not relied upon but human nature is human nature, the ultimate safety device is and always will be between the ears whether that's brake pressure and distance, or guns.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:16 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,086,522 times
Too much potential for loss of use (when it counts) due to reliability issues. Also, this would involve electronics within the gun which might open it to failure ("Damn, the battery is dead!"), hacking or maybe even jamming with some type of field generator, possibily rendering the firearm inoperational when it's needed the most. Sounds farfetched but this type of stuff is my career.

An EMP could disable all such weapons.

Tell ya' what. When Star Trek type hand phasers become available, should they have such a feature, I'll consider it then.

I appreciate the beauty in purely mechanical devices!

Old 12-20-2012, 08:19 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,478,980 times
The only way I could see how the design would work would be a electronic device to block a mechanical firing system. Electronics fail, electronics dont like heat, guns produce a lot of heat, shock, vibrations, etc. All this is very bad for electronics. I dont see them using an electronic firing pin/method.

So, guns dont exist in just the US. Our borders are huge. We cant force this on the world.

We share guns, often letting a spouse, friend, child shoot too. What do we do, add them to the print database?
OK, so this would not have prevented Newtown since his Mom allowed access.

Again, we are going about this the way wrong way. Its not the guns.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:21 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,205 times
Quote:
It's a "fingerprint gun".... it only works if the licensed/registered owner is the one holding the grip. If we made ALL guns with this feature, Newtown wouldn't have happened and responsible gun owners would not have their 2nd Amendment rights infringed upon. Heck, even my crappy laptop that I'm using to write this has this technology built-in, so I know it's not that expensive. It's been 100% reliable every day for years. Think of the accidental kid deaths this could save.

1. Guns don't have batteries.

2. Can you imagine grabbing your gun to prevent a home invasion, only to find out the battery on the fingerprint ID was dead?

3. Even if we had fingerprint guns, it would take someone about 2 minutes on the internet to find a way around it.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:25 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,447,554 times
Quote:

There is only one fatal flaw with this idea - nobody is going to be stupid enough to license, much less register, their firearms.

Registration of firearms is always the first step toward confiscation.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:29 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,965,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Erm there's a small thing called due process, sure you've heard of it. Now we could get rid of it, but do we really want to? I mean get rid of it for one thing, and you've got to expect it to go for others, like for instance you and your spouse do separate tax returns, they screw up, and you both wind up getting prosecuted for tax evasion, they're your spouse, so you have "skin in the game". Or your kid borrows the car (doesn't ask permission, you know you just kind of assume the other parent gave it), gets drunk kills someone in a DUI, you're all charged with vehicular homicide, your car, your decision to let your kid drive (even though you didn't, hey it's only your word saying you didn't and your kid, well he's not credible since he's protecting his family, and it's a slam dunk, 3 homicide convictions look good on annual reports). Your other kid is taken into child protection. Or you're living in a shared apartment, there's a raid and your roomie has a gram or so of coke, you're both busted for possession, hey you're a resident, you should know what's happening in your home you have skin in the game. Want me to go on... I can do this kind of thing for days and days? Or are you thinking that you'll never be affected by something like that...? Uhhh-huh..
Red herrings, as the key difference with guns is you, who are penalized, had to GRANT access-via an act of comission, not omission.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:31 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,415,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
There is only one fatal flaw with this idea - nobody is going to be stupid enough to license, much less register, their firearms.

Registration of firearms is always the first step toward confiscation.
I think if they decide to force national registration the only thing they'll end up with is 300 million police reports of stolen guns. :grin:

Old 12-20-2012, 08:31 AM

39,076 posts, read 51,213,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Can never go wrong with a Glock!!

My G19 has never stood me up!
My 9x19 jams when daughter uses it. She has a limp wrist I am told. Piece of junk, IMO.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:33 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,068 times
I don't need a crystal ball to know their answer to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies