Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 12:57 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,365,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
The Church looked the other way for years as more gay priests were brought into the church.
Gay priests?
You do know the pedophiles are usually heteros...
Nice try at slamming a group of people though.

Read it and weep:

Pedophilia and Child Sexual Molestation
Pedophilia is a psychosexual mental disorder that is included in the class of sexual disorders known as Paraphilias.
<snip>
Both Pedophiles and child molesters are primarily heterosexual males.

and

Homosexuality and Child Sexual Abuse
Most significantly, while social conservatives claim that all the cases of sexual molestation of young boys by adult males are committed by homosexuals, the scientists whom they cite explicitly reject this assertion. Let us examine the actual claims of the scientists, one by one.
<snip>
However, the very scientists that are cited in support of the contention that gays are more likely to be molesters explicitly reject the idea that homosexuals pose a disproportionate threat to children. These scientists note that pedophilia is a separate orientation from homosexuality and that the vast majority of molesters who target boys have either no interest in mature males or are heterosexual men who are attracted to the feminine characteristics of pre-pubescent males.

So much more at link...
Debunking each point one at a time.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawkfist View Post
No, they spent $2 million to preserve a historic and spiritually significant institution that:
(1) no one has provided a solid reason as to why it needs changing, and (2), no one has proved the consequences of what would happen if it did indeed change.
BS.

You need to look up the history of "marriage" as it's changed throughout the centuries.
Even the catholic church performed homosexual marriages in the 13th century, iirc.
Look at the civilized world, they don't care who gets married and they still have nice, long, thriving cultures.

Just because you wallow in your own fear, doesn't mean that you have any valid points.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:17 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,696,118 times
When you consider that the Vatican's art collection alone could probably solve Africa's ( and other places) poverty issues , then you realise the other assets they have and the trillions the CC is worth, you start to accept that their priorities are always going to be a little skewed.

$2 million which could have gone to feeding or clothing poor people. Jesus would be so proud. Yes they do spend a lot on charity works ( usually those with a faith agenda- not always but usually, a lot of their good works are used as PR for conversion ( ie , Expansion of the Church or retaining of current numbers of believers) but that is a drop in the Ocean compared to what they could actually achieve and the millions of lives they could save if they were not so busy trying to hang on to power and exerting influence ( wordly influence) rather than actually being Jesus-Like.

$2 million wasted on a vanity project rather than a genuine humble and agenda free one which would have helped real people in real need across the world. Well done.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:50 AM

13,682 posts, read 10,077,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicane View Post
No ones lying or hating. We have our beliefs and want the law to represent us

Just like you

I dont hate gays I just dont want my church to recognize their marraiges
Why would your church recognize anybody's marriage? No church recognizes mine. The only body that actually recognizes my marriage for any practical intent and purpose is the IRS.

Everybody else could give a rat's.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:18 AM

68,403 posts, read 54,696,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHomeschoolMom View Post
Ok, so call it a civil union. I don't have a problem with that. But, keep the integrity of the term marriage intact. It should mean what it has meant for thousands of years...a union between a man and a woman.
Because we all know the term marriage has sooooooooooooooooooooo much integrity, demonstrated by those like Clinton, Gingrich, Petraeus, et al, eh?

Yeah, lots of integrity in the term just as long as you keep those 'queers' out of the picture.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Why would your church recognize anybody's marriage? No church recognizes mine. The only body that actually recognizes my marriage for any practical intent and purpose is the IRS.

Everybody else could give a rat's.
What these people fail to accept (because they've been told a thousand times), that the government allows the churches to act as an agent and collect the government fee for a marriage.

I try to tell them:
Look at it this way, when your marriage fails, you go to the state, not the church.

I think we should be more like most European countries (and Turkey).
Civil service required, fee paid.
If you want anything churchy, that's separate (and not equal).

Old 11-20-2012, 03:28 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,759,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
When you consider that the Vatican's art collection alone could probably solve Africa's ( and other places) poverty issues , then you realise the other assets they have and the trillions the CC is worth, you start to accept that their priorities are always going to be a little skewed.

$2 million which could have gone to feeding or clothing poor people. Jesus would be so proud. Yes they do spend a lot on charity works ( usually those with a faith agenda- not always but usually, a lot of their good works are used as PR for conversion ( ie , Expansion of the Church or retaining of current numbers of believers) but that is a drop in the Ocean compared to what they could actually achieve and the millions of lives they could save if they were not so busy trying to hang on to power and exerting influence ( wordly influence) rather than actually being Jesus-Like.

$2 million wasted on a vanity project rather than a genuine humble and agenda free one which would have helped real people in real need across the world. Well done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
What these people fail to accept (because they've been told a thousand times), that the government allows the churches to act as an agent and collect the government fee for a marriage.

I try to tell them:
Look at it this way, when your marriage fails, you go to the state, not the church.

I think we should be more like most European countries (and Turkey).
Civil service required, fee paid.
If you want anything churchy, that's separate (and not equal).
It's always interesting (and amusing) when people who don't understand the faith, and church (any church) and the Bible are so quick to criticize when the church tries to uphold their beliefs.

Why does the church, in this case the Catholic church, have to change to accommodate the secular world?
why do any people of faith have to change -- because the left demands it?

I'm not R.C. but I get tired of hearing all of Christendom painted with a broad brush and criticized because
we don't conform to what the secular world thinks they are entitled to and demand.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:37 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,284,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
It's always interesting (and amusing) when people who don't understand the faith, and church (any church) and the Bible are so quick to criticize when the church tries to uphold their beliefs.

Why does the church, in this case the Catholic church, have to change to accommodate the secular world?

I'm not R.C. but I get tired of hearing all of Christendom painted with a broad brush and criticized because
we don't conform to what the secular world thinks they are entitled to and demand.
You are perfectly welcome to uphold your beliefs in your church. You can not force people who don't believe as you do to live by your beliefs.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:41 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,392,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

The non-believers have no clue what Jesus taught. They see Him as a "lucky rabbit's foot" at best. They do not understand what it means to "accept Christ," and that it is a life changing experience. We are not supposed to be like the secular world. We have been transformed.

Oh, yeah. I can hear the giggles and snears. That's too bad ... for them.

If we were to conform to their standards, our faith would be a fraud. It would be no faith at all.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:42 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,759,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
You are perfectly welcome to uphold your beliefs in your church. You can not force people who don't believe as you do to live by your beliefs.
Nobody is doing that. The church has every right to state its position, and take a stand on it in the public square.

YOU don't have to listen. You have freedom of choice. The God you don't believe in, or don't know, gave you free will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies