Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 04:45 PM

341 posts, read 642,207 times

Advertisements

"Mea Maxima Culpa": New Doc Exposes Horror of Catholic Child Sex Abuser and Heroism of His Victims

I like to read comments from Mr. Akin and his supporters...

Old 11-13-2012, 07:08 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,468,732 times
Over 200 deaf children victimized. There are predators, and then there are predators. I wish I believed in heaven and hell because the thought of this animal frying in hell is all that might give semblance of justice.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:33 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,134,181 times
Thanks for sharing El Greco. I'll aim to watch that.

These stories need to be heard...I agree with donth8me. The only bad thing about not believing in hell, is the knowledge that these pricks will only face punishment on this earth.

This is a very hot topic locally, and the catholic church is under seige (good).

Old 11-13-2012, 08:51 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,540,199 times
I agree it's horrible. I wonder if his next documentary will expose the sexual child abuse that went on in the Boy Scouts, the schools and how Jerry Sandusky got away with his years of abuse while the NFL people turned a blind eye.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I agree it's horrible. I wonder if his next documentary will expose the sexual child abuse that went on in the Boy Scouts, the schools and how Jerry Sandusky got away with his years of abuse while the NFL people turned a blind eye.
hopefully! you see the aim is to stop sexual abuse of minors and not hide it..... unlike the aims of the church.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:05 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,618,096 times
Quote:
Don't deflect. It minimizes what those poor children entrusted to the Church went through.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:30 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,540,199 times
Did you listen to the tape? A red flag popped up for me. The film maker said when the boys grew up they started to hang out together and smoking dope. Then the "repressed memories" started to come up about the abuse. Very dangerous to my point of view. Too bad a professional counselor wasn't working with them when this started to happen. Many people can identify with others when they express some horrible thing happened to them.

It may be true, all of it. But remembering something when someone is high is questionable. These cases are sad, horrible and horrendous when they happen but we have learned in the past they can also convict innocent people like the child care people who were sent to prison and it was learned later the children were exaggerating. I would be more more convinced if they had a professional on the case and with all the cases that come up, no matter where they exist.

You would as well if you were accused of this.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:34 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,944,958 times
The Roman Catholic church is a criminal enterprise. It should be shut down.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Did you listen to the tape? A red flag popped up for me. The film maker said when the boys grew up they started to hang out together and smoking dope. Then the "repressed memories" started to come up about the abuse. Very dangerous to my point of view. Too bad a professional counselor wasn't working with them when this started to happen. Many people can identify with others when they express some horrible thing happened to them.

It may be true, all of it. But remembering something when someone is high is questionable. These cases are sad, horrible and horrendous when they happen but we have learned in the past they can also convict innocent people like the child care people who were sent to prison and it was learned later the children were exaggerating. I would be more more convinced if they had a professional on the case and with all the cases that come up, no matter where they exist.

You would as well if you were accused of this.
Thats a decent vendetta huh? The priests victims trying for 30 years for justice, and 200 students... wow. When there is smoke, there is fire.

ALEX GIBNEY: Well, it’s really interesting. It was actually in the early '70s, when these kids had left St. John's, and then they got together and started hanging out with each other—ironically, ended up sort of hanging out and smoking dope, and would then recall things, recall memories that had been repressed. They began to get angrier and angrier and angrier, and then began to share their experiences with each other, and then were determined, you know, "Something has to be done. We have to do something about this. We’ve been—remained silent for too long." And their motivation was to try to protect other children. They went to the police, and the police did not behave well at all in this story, either, it should be noted. Nor did the, you know—
AMY GOODMAN: What did the police say?
ALEX GIBNEY: Well, in one instance, a policeman went back to Father Murphy and asked about one of these accusations of abuse. He said, "Oh, you can’t listen to those kids; they’re retarded." "Retarded" was the word that he used.
AMY GOODMAN: These children were deaf.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:54 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,468,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Thats a decent vendetta huh? The priests victims trying for 30 years for justice, and 200 students... wow. When there is smoke, there is fire.

ALEX GIBNEY: Well, it’s really interesting. It was actually in the early '70s, when these kids had left St. John's, and then they got together and started hanging out with each other—ironically, ended up sort of hanging out and smoking dope, and would then recall things, recall memories that had been repressed. They began to get angrier and angrier and angrier, and then began to share their experiences with each other, and then were determined, you know, "Something has to be done. We have to do something about this. We’ve been—remained silent for too long." And their motivation was to try to protect other children. They went to the police, and the police did not behave well at all in this story, either, it should be noted. Nor did the, you know—
AMY GOODMAN: What did the police say?
ALEX GIBNEY: Well, in one instance, a policeman went back to Father Murphy and asked about one of these accusations of abuse. He said, "Oh, you can’t listen to those kids; they’re retarded." "Retarded" was the word that he used.
AMY GOODMAN: These children were deaf.
Your point is what I was referring to - this sick animal was not content to exploit children who are already vulnerable, but he chose deaf kids specifically, knowing what a challenge communication is for them.

And to the resident caped crusader swooping in any thread to defend the (indefensible) Catholics - get over yourself and stop trying to deflect. Your religion has been slaughtering millions of innocent people for over a thousand years and is still harboring and protecting monstrous child predators. Deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.