Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2012, 02:02 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,434,305 times

Advertisements

Remember the conservative revolution brought in by Reagan in 1980? The one that cons think is still going strong and we've been a conservative country ever since? Not quite, the conservative revolution died out long ago. It lasted for three elections, 1980 to 1988 but in the six elections since 1988 the voters have chosen the rightwing candidate only once, Bush in 2004. The other five times they chose the leftwing candidate, Clinton in 1992 and 1996, Gore in 2000, and Obama in 2008 and 2012
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 03:01 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,952,341 times
I was born in 1986 but can someone please explain to me why Reagan was considered fiscally conservative? Or even anywhere near a respectable President? He is to blame for much of our current problems. IMO Reagan and Bush II may go down as the two worst Presidents in modern US history.

Spending during Reagan's two terms averaged 22.4% GDP, well above the 20.6% GDP average from 1971 to 2009. The public debt rose from 26% GDP in 1980 to 41% GDP by 1988.

He pushed for deregulation of the banking industry, lowered taxes for the richest Americans. "Trickle-Down" or "Reaganomics", terms just mocked at now for how false they were proven to be.

He marginalized AA and destroyed urban communities throughout the country with the racist "War on Drugs" and 100-1 Crack Rule. In fact he funded crack dealers out of Nicaragua, knowing crack was being distributed throughout American cities. He crushed labor unions and enacted free-trade policies destroying what was left of America's manufacturing industry.

Before Reagan, corporate CEOs earned less than 50 times the salary of an average worker. By the end of the Reagan-Bush-I administrations in 1993, the average CEO salary was more than 100 times that of a typical worker.

He armed right-wing militias to crush peasant, labor and student uprising, throughout Latin America. The effects of which still resonate today. The Iran-Contra scandal and secrecy throughout the administration in general. The Cold War was even won before he took office. The CIA believed the Soviets to be headed toward collapse in the late 1970's.

Terrible President!

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 11-08-2012 at 03:14 PM..

Old 11-08-2012, 03:07 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,267,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I was born in 1986 but can someone please explain to me why Reagan was considered fiscally conservative? Or even anywhere near a respectable President? He is to blame for much of our current problems. IMO Reagan and Bush II may go down as the two worst Presidents in modern US history.

Spending during Reagan's two terms averaged 22.4% GDP, well above the 20.6% GDP average from 1971 to 2009. The public debt rose from 26% GDP in 1980 to 41% GDP by 1988.

He pushed for deregulation of the banking industry, lowered taxes for the richest Americans. "Trickle-Down" or "Reaganomics", terms just mocked at now for how false they were proven to be.

He marginalized AA and destroyed urban communities throughout the country with the racist "War on Drugs" and 100-1 Crack Rule. In fact he funded crack dealers out of Nicaragua, knowing crack was being distributed throughout American cities. He crushed labor unions and enacted free-trade policies destroying what was left of America's manufacturing industry.

Before Reagan, corporate CEOs earned less than 50 times the salary of an average worker. By the end of the Reagan-Bush-I administrations in 1993, the average CEO salary was more than 100 times that of a typical worker.

He armed right-wing militias to crush peasant, labor and student uprising, throughout Latin America. The effects of which still resonate today. The Iran-Contra scandal and secrecy throughout the administration in general. The Cold War was even won before he took office. The CIA believed the Soviets to be headed toward collapse in the 1970's.

Terrible President!
Oh ... I would be proud if you were my 26-year-old.

Reagan was revered because 1. he seemed like a nice guy; 2. as a former actor, he looked good onstage; 3. He was the first politician to have a team that mastered the art of lying, cheating and stealing to make their guy look good. Karl Rove before there was Karl Rove, know what I mean? Google Lee Atwater for example. 4. His team also mastered, more than many others before them, the art of telling the stupid of America that they could all have unicorns and puppies and it wouldn't cost a dime.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:10 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,472,334 times
But... but... he liberated Grenada and he had such folksy charm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies