Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If Global Warming didn't exist, would man have to invent it?
Yes 16 66.67%
No 8 33.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 05:50 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,883,236 times

Advertisements

Don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
No they don't....Polar drift happens because the Earth’s outer core is made from molten iron, which continually moves under the planet’s outer crust.
This has no effect on weather, despite many rumors to the contrary spread on conspiracy theory sites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 07:32 PM

33,672 posts, read 37,493,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Stop confusing the issue!

Global warming is a fact.

Anthropogenic global warming is a fact

Catastrophic Anthropogenic Global warming is an unsubstantiated hypothesis.

If you don't know the difference, then you are pushing ignorance.

If you do know the difference, then are you deviously attempting to politicize the issue.
It seems to me that you have changed your tune recently...What made that happen?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/19185158-post582.html

Old 11-02-2012, 07:48 AM

13,053 posts, read 13,031,199 times
Quote:
It seems to me that you have changed your tune recently...What made that happen?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/19185158-post582.html

How so?

State your position.

I see nothing contradictory in that comment if one applies proper context.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:10 PM

33,672 posts, read 37,493,813 times
Perhaps I have misunderstood you all this time, but I was sure that in the past you were claiming that human activity had nothing to do with the warming climate...If so then I have to apologize, and eat some crow...

Old 11-02-2012, 10:19 PM

244 posts, read 392,411 times
The term global warming wasn't working after the earth started cooling off again so they changed the name to something they didn't have to try and justify .. Climate Change... its just too bad its all natural. Human need to remembner we have only been on this rock for a fraction of a second of its lifespan, and have been tracking weather for a even shorter time frame. For us to say we know what the "Normal ": temp of the planet to be is .. is absolutely ****ing insane and pretty ****ing vain. We as humans don't know ****,, I mean we have people crapping in the floor where they live.. when the rest room is just down stairs.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:07 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,610,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Rockford View Post
The term global warming wasn't working after the earth started cooling off again so they changed the name to something they didn't have to try and justify .. Climate Change... its just too bad its all natural. Human need to remembner we have only been on this rock for a fraction of a second of its lifespan, and have been tracking weather for a even shorter time frame. For us to say we know what the "Normal ": temp of the planet to be is .. is absolutely ****ing insane and pretty ****ing vain. We as humans don't know ****,, I mean we have people crapping in the floor where they live.. when the rest room is just down stairs.
It is called "hubris." A trait common to the human species at least since Aristotle first assumed the Earth was at the center of the universe. Because we exist we must have an influence on everything.

We know the climate is going to change drastically, because we know the climate has already changed drastically at various times in Earth's past. The real question becomes are we going to learn to adapt to those changes, or go the way of the dinosaurs trying to prevent the inevitable?

Old 11-02-2012, 11:25 PM

244 posts, read 392,411 times
Well the big ****ing meteor didn't help the dinosaurs a whole hell of a lot, the almost instant " for dinos " global winter after the half the earth fireball kind a helped take them out of the picture Hopefully we have a little more leway. But its cooling now so buy a jacket people.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:52 AM

13,053 posts, read 13,031,199 times
Quote:
Perhaps I have misunderstood you all this time, but I was sure that in the past you were claiming that human activity had nothing to do with the warming climate...If so then I have to apologize, and eat some crow...
Let me clarify.

When I say contribution, the key is significant contribution. AGW is mans contribution to global warming. That contribution exists, but so far the significance of its contribution is like adding to a hurricane by blowing with the wind. Do you contribute? Absolutely. Is it significant? Absolutely not.

So, man does contribute C02, and C02 plays a part in warming (ie AGW is fact), but mans contribution and C02 as a significant driver is not validated to any significance (ie, mans contribution is like blowing into the wind).

Context is important because terms have changed (or rather how someone is interpreting them has changed or is often misunderstood). In that post, I was stating AGW in the context that those who were claiming it was "significant" and the main driver was false, unsubstantiated, etc...

It has resulted in even having to be more specific about the issue due to the political use of the meaning of them. For instance, the early surveys of the consensus on Global Warming and AGW were confusing. That is, scientist agreed we had warmed in the past record. They even agreed that man contributes to it, but what is lost is significance and the position that C02 is the dominate driver. That is, when the details of the issue were brought up, divergence in opinion arose greatly.

This leads to properly giving it a definition of Catastrophic Anthropogenic Global Warming which more accurately describes the position that man contributes to warming through C02 and C02 is the primary driver of climate change to which all of the volatile aspects of weather events are directly associated with. This is an unsupported hypothesis, not even remotely substantiated and in fact, the data directly conflicts with it.

My position in the past has always been that the position of mans contribution and that contribution being the causation is unsupported, often wild speculation and commonly politically driven.

I agree we have warmed in the past, this is clear even in the raw data before any manipulation (though where and when it depends, ie. we have not warmed in the recent past and there are issues of how much in some areas compared to past records).

I also agree that man contributes by adding C02 and that C02 plays a "part" of the warming in the system.

I do not think C02's contribution is significant in the process. Those who do believe such are basing it on a process we have no real understanding of. Models tend to deal with positive feedback's and completely ignore negative feedback's. Also, man's contribution of C02 is not significant either in the process.

That is the key problem of the issue and while I have referred to things as "global warming" or "AGW" in the past in terms of claiming it garbage politics, it has always been within the context of the person who really is stating CAGW, yet generally uses the term "GW" or "AGW".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies