Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 02:13 PM

51,814 posts, read 25,160,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
you giving up one of your kids for a 2nd chance? H NO! why risk a 2nd offence? what?????????
some of your suggestions to eliminate the list and basically being the devils advocate- may have never come in contact with a real victim or actually understood that the age factor includes babies of 2/3 mo. --- you are sick to think it's no big issue- and they are sicker- I say cut- and cut some more for a permanent fix - and still send them to jail forever!
the teen things in most cases is worked out- 18 yr old w a 16 yr old- so don't give that as an excuse
Could you point out the place where I said that a sex offense is "no big issue"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 03:57 PM

31,312 posts, read 20,894,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This is controversial.

I think having the label follow someone around forever is counterproductive to society. But I don't have a problem with having the label assigned for some particular period of time.

For a repeat offender, I have no problem with it being forever.
A big part of the problem is defining the term "sex offender". The list now includes kids who should never be on the list because they are perfectly normal kids. If Big Government saw everything we did, millions of us would be on the list for childish pranks such as farting in your buddies face or mooning.

The sex offender list is a total failure.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Do we need to rethink our laws regarding sex offenders?

I think we do in states where someone stopping to urinate on the side of road (certainly not the classiest act but a SEX crime?) can be forced to register as a sex offender for life.
There are kids on the list for mooning and farting.

There are people on the list for having sex with their fiance and are now married.

Lots of disasters. We should abolish the list.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I know two men and one woman accused of pedophilia. All are innocent. .
There was an innocent grandmother who was arrested for having pictures of her tiny grandbabies bathing in the sink. It took her over a year to clear her name.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:23 PM

17,439 posts, read 28,798,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
I'm thinking you may be underestimating the drive for sexual release. I believe, if I were to rape anyone (and I have not), the control would be required in order to attain the sexual release. If the sexual release were not so desirable, the control would not be needed either... At least in most cases. Then, there are exceptions to every rule.

It doesn't mean the crime is any less serious, however, castration would only prevent pregnancy, but may not prevent orgasm and therefore, may not reduce the possibility of repeated rape by the perp. There are quite a number of men that have been made sterile, then enjoy a normal relationship with their wives without the chance of pregnancy. I don't know that more laws would be an answer, but current laws made more effective would certainly help.
They'd use inanimate objects. Remember we are not talking about normal people. What would deter normal people would not deter pedos. You might as well be trying to dissuade ISIS, Al Qaeda, Boko Haram, etc. from suicide bombing.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:24 PM

17,439 posts, read 28,798,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
A big part of the problem is defining the term "sex offender". The list now includes kids who should never be on the list because they are perfectly normal kids. If Big Government saw everything we did, millions of us would be on the list for childish pranks such as farting in your buddies face or mooning.

The sex offender list is a total failure.
Agreed.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:34 PM

7,584 posts, read 5,392,684 times
I'm not even a lay expert on sexual predators but I do think that if you sentence someone for a sexual offense and they are released from jail without parole or probation that should be the end of it. Broadcasting their status around the community and all the other restrictions and public humiliations that go with it are wrong. If they remain a threat to the community then keep them incarcerated in some minimum access facility until they are no longer a threat. But on the flip side who gets to judge their fitness to join the community, some whacky shrink on either side of the issue, ones who believe they can never change or those who are so gullible that they let them out way too prematurely. I just don't know.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:56 PM

23,509 posts, read 29,460,844 times
Any number of sexual offenders were, themselves, sexually abused as children, and there's a good chance that those who offended them were never caught, or many of the laws/vigilance in place today, weren't in place at the time.

If any number of those posting here, wishing the death sentence on these sexual offenders, never had to worry about being arrested for having sex with minors, they'd join right in! Thus, jealousy is behind some of these posts, IMO!

He who casts the first stone............................................. ...............................

Old 01-26-2016, 12:51 AM

23,509 posts, read 29,460,844 times
I work in a Long-Term Care facility, and recently, the cops hauled away a late 40's disabled man, in a wheelchair. He was on parole, and the activity director caught him using the shared computer. Apparently, if you're a sex offender, on parole, you're not allowed to use the computer. So he was handcuffed in his wheelchair, and led away, to???????

As if, in a Long-Term Care facility he was in danger to anyone there! No one under 40YO!

So, perhaps, back to prison he goes! And? To care for a disabled man in prison? My oh my, how this country can squander money, and voters never blinking an eye to it!

Meanwhile, our infrastructure is falling apart, bridges falling apart, all for the sake of having the highest incarceration rate in the world, 40-50k per year per inmate!

Old 01-26-2016, 03:30 PM

35,933 posts, read 21,387,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Any number of sexual offenders were, themselves, sexually abused as children, and there's a good chance that those who offended them were never caught, or many of the laws/vigilance in place today, weren't in place at the time.

If any number of those posting here, wishing the death sentence on these sexual offenders, never had to worry about being arrested for having sex with minors, they'd join right in! Thus, jealousy is behind some of these posts, IMO!

He who casts the first stone............................................. ...............................
sounds like twisting words - this is not a light sin-- are there crazy stupid arrests yes- police as well as people make mistakes-- lets just not minimize a true "predator and their intent to harm "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies