Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you get rid of welfare?
Yes, even for the disabled. Their families can take care of them. 4 4.60%
Yes, let them find work or else be kicked to the curb. Let em die for all I care! But if they're disabled no. 13 14.94%
Not entirely, but made it harder to get 47 54.02%
No, that's ridiculous and cruel. 23 26.44%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 09:27 PM

38,839 posts, read 22,671,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
With the wealth this country has elimination of safety nets is not necessary however reform is a necessity.

I often use the story of a proud and an intelligent woman I know that abruptly left an abusive husband. She reluctantly went on welfare because she really had little choice. Once in the system there was little incentive to leave it. She had a young child to feed, house and clothe. She carefully monitored how much she made to insure she didn't lose the benefits because the benefits far exceeded what she make herself. We need a way to get these people over that hump that want to work.
My sister was one of those women you described. Welfare was their to help her reshape her life with a child beating brute of a husband. She used government assistance to help her pull her self back up, put herself thru nursing school, and she is now an RN.

The safety nets are there to catch people who fall on hard times. Too bad that 0bama's policies have created 15 million more people living in hard times. We need to kick him to the curb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 09:29 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,759,116 times
Disability is one of the biggest frauds out there. Sure, some people need it. My neighbor, for example, who was in private nursing until she hit a deer on her way home from work, and lost a lot of her head and most of her mind as a result. She gets along very well but will never be much more productive than washing dishes part time for $8/hr. She gets $700 something a month in disability. She's earned her disability check in that she was a highly productive worker and paid into the system for years. She's 58 now.

I also know people who sit on their lazy, fat butts all day and don't even attempt to work, even though they're easily as capable as my neighbor. They get those checks every month, shack up with someone else on disability, and make pretty good money for doing nothing. Those are the ones who should be thrown to the curb.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedarko View Post
Not at all. I constantly hear conservatives say we should get rid of welfare on the Internet. I'm curious as to if some of them are actually for real.
As i figured.

We do not call to get rid of it, we want to get rid of a liberal mentality that suggests to people that they are in a class system, of the haves, and have-nots, and welfare is there for the have-nots to live on forever. Liberals think 15 million more Americans living on food stamps since 0bama was sworn in, is an accomplishment to be proud of.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:33 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,105,784 times
such a loaded question with the poll options you gave. Definitely make it harder to get and more selective. Those that are disabled, definitely should receive, those that are unfortunate enough to have a kid or two out of marriage, definitely should receive. Those that have 5 kids and never been married, tough luck youre on your own.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Disability is one of the biggest frauds out there. Sure, some people need it. My neighbor, for example, who was in private nursing until she hit a deer on her way home from work, and lost a lot of her head and most of her mind as a result. She gets along very well but will never be much more productive than washing dishes part time for $8/hr. She gets $700 something a month in disability. She's earned her disability check in that she was a highly productive worker and paid into the system for years. She's 58 now.

I also know people who sit on their lazy, fat butts all day and don't even attempt to work, even though they're easily as capable as my neighbor. They get those checks every month, shack up with someone else on disability, and make pretty good money for doing nothing. Those are the ones who should be thrown to the curb.
Agreed. The liberals think expanding these welfare programs to apply to more and more people is progress. We have families earning over $70,000 a years on S-CHIP, and the libs pat themselves on the back, as if further dependence on government is a good thing.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:35 PM

800 posts, read 512,732 times
End all corporate wellfare and nearly all subsidies. Force companies to make wise decisions or die off, let the free market determine the winners and losers, not some overpaid bereaucrats in an ivory tower. Lower taxes, close loopholes and simplify the tax code. As the economy improves gradually phase out and end all forms of welfare. If somebody truly cant support themselves then theres charity and family. I think you'll find that people will be more generous with charity and helping those they like when they're not robbed by the gov and forced into philantropy.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambatown81 View Post
End all corporate wellfare and nearly all subsidies. Force companies to make wise decisions or die off, let the free market determine the winners and losers, not some overpaid bereaucrats in an ivory tower. Lower taxes, close loopholes and simplify the tax code. As the economy improves gradually phase out and end all forms of welfare. If somebody truly cant support themselves then theres charity and family. I think you'll find that people will be more generous with charity and helping those they like when they're not robbed by the gov and forced into philantropy.
How else can politicians like 0bama buy votes and repay their campaign donors? You heartless SOB.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:42 PM

192 posts, read 258,434 times
An anecdote. I get SSI because I have Aspergers, even though I would rather work, and I plan to go to college so I can make my own money.

It took me a lawyer and 2 years of fighting just to get SSI so I can survive without having to live with my parents. I'd like to work but I have only a summer job's worth of experience pre-recession and people with Aspergers tend to be hired less because of our social awkwardness so it's been impossible for me to get steady work. I don't really know a lot of people either, most of my friends are on the web, it's always who you know not what you know.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:44 PM

17,073 posts, read 12,726,074 times
>We have families earning over $70,000 a years on S-CHIP<

TRUE in some states and not others. Government health care for the young.

Also true, in ALL states we have old people making $700,000 on Medicare. Even near max contributions 99% will not input enough to pay the equivalent private health insurance premiums for 20+++ years. NOONE has truly "earned" the subsidy they get there. It is yet another government benefit. No I dont want it phased out. No I dont want your mom to lose her benefits. I just get a kick out of old people who have this delusion that somehow they are not on government health care for the old.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:51 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,759,116 times
I've worked with a lot of socially awkward people. That's no excuse. If one can go to school, one can go to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
>
Also true, in ALL states we have old people making $700,000 on Medicare. .
What on earth are you talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies