Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 03:11 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,686,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Again....why should homeowners get tax breaks?
To encourage the big investment risk involved in buying a home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 03:35 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,480,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
To encourage the big investment risk involved in buying a home?

???

In my experience, renting entails much greater risk. Renters face ongoing risk of rent increases, gentrification, displacement. In the long run, renting is almost always much more expensive than owning, because rents typically go up and up and up, while a fixed rate mortgage means your mortgage payment is never going to increase. (Renters should have it so good!)

Right now, owning is cheaper than renting in something like 48 of the top 50 US markets. Home prices may rise and fall, but rents usually just keep going up, so I'll take the "risk" of owning a home any day if I could.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:52 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,211,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
???

Home prices may rise and fall, but rents usually just keep going up, so I'll take the "risk" of owning a home any day if I could.
So do property taxes and maintenance costs!

Old 10-17-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
???

In my experience, renting entails much greater risk. Renters face ongoing risk of rent increases, gentrification, displacement. In the long run, renting is almost always much more expensive than owning, because rents typically go up and up and up, while a fixed rate mortgage means your mortgage payment is never going to increase. (Renters should have it so good!)

Right now, owning is cheaper than renting in something like 48 of the top 50 US markets. Home prices may rise and fall, but rents usually just keep going up, so I'll take the "risk" of owning a home any day if I could.
I've rented before, and you are not locked into a thirty year lease. All you pay is the rent, so if the AC or plumping breaks down, the landlord in on the hook to pay the repair or replacement costs, and if you are going to be late with the rent, most landlords are willing to work with you. There is a lot more anxiety with owning a home, because all of those unexpected costs are on you, and if you miss payments, the nameless, faceless big bank is not as willing to work with your late payments.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Agreed! If your rented place gets hit with a wicked storm, with large hail, you aren't worried you might be out $5,000 for a new roof, or the sewers might back up, and cause equity killing water damage.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:23 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,736,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinduffy View Post
It's just a little way of saying "Thank you for voting Democratic!"
Exactly right.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post

But in most places, property taxes on rental property go up faster than on owner-occupied homes, because many states tax rental prop at higher rates than owner-occupied homes. Also, many states have features (like tax breaks for owner-occupants and property tax caps) that tend to do a better job of restraining homeowner prop taxes than landlord prop taxes (because on average, rental prop is sold more often than owner occ prop and thus reassessed to sale price).

Also, homeowners on average spend much more on maintenance than do landlords; as landlords often defer maintenance or do the least necessary.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Agreed! If your rented place gets hit with a wicked storm, with large hail, you aren't worried you might be out $5,000 for a new roof, or the sewers might back up, and cause equity killing water damage.

That is all planned for in advance by landlords who insure their properties against such things and pass the costs to their tenants in the form of higher rent. Just like homeowners with any sense insure their homes for such events. With rental property, landlords are in business to make a profit and make sure their expenses are covered by the rent they collect. A landlord who doesn't make a profit will sell his rental property and put his cash into something profitable.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:57 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,148,390 times
I could also say why should the government subsidize the purchase of energy enhancements with tax credits?

Old 10-21-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I could also say why should the government subsidize the purchase of energy enhancements with tax credits?

As long as we are importing energy inputs from foreign sources (e.g. foreign oil), subsidizing energy efficiency might make sense, depending on how the number crunching works out.

Keeping our dollars in this country- as opposed to sending them overseas - is worth something. Whether it is worth the current tax credits, I do not know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies