Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 07:14 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,876,094 times

Advertisements

Just when you thought it could not get worse, now they are going to install stationary highway and street cameras that can not only watch you but record your license plate into a big government database that will track your every move everyday!
Police call license plate scanners critical, but do they violate your privacy? - CBS News

Your car, tracked: the rapid rise of license plate readers | Ars Technica
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 07:28 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,221,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
Just when you thought it could not get worse, now they are going to install stationary highway and street cameras that can not only watch you but record your license plate into a big government database that will track your every move everyday!
Police call license plate scanners critical, but do they violate your privacy? - CBS News

~duh~ Were you born yesterday or did you just get your drivers license? This has been going on for quite some time....

and BTW, learn how to use the quote function please.....

Last edited by plwhit; 09-23-2012 at 08:10 PM..

Old 09-23-2012, 08:24 PM

635 posts, read 540,115 times
Quote:

Um... They've always been able to track you on public roads... You've never had an expectation of privacy in that capacity.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:28 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,876,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qr5667 View Post
Um... They've always been able to track you on public roads... You've never had an expectation of privacy in that capacity.
I do expect privacy. It is not anyone else's business where I go.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
An expectation of privacy only exists when the belief in that expectation is reasonable, and society recognizes that expectation.

It has been held that when you are in public, your expectation of privacy is greatly diminished. As such, society recognizes that when you drive on a public road, anyone can follow you if they so desire. Further, if the government wants to scan your government owned license plate while you drive on government owned roads... well...

Old 09-23-2012, 08:36 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,226,354 times
Right to privacy started disappearing when women stopped wearing those cat's eyes glass frames and men their horned rim glasses.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:39 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,495,400 times
Quote:
Judging from the article, it isn't.

[shrug]

Old 09-23-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Right to privacy started disappearing when women stopped wearing those cat's eyes glass frames and men their horned rim glasses.
A right to privacy didn't exist until 1965 (it is not explicitly mentioned in the constitution, the court decided it was a penumbra-y type thing)... And it was used to let women get the evil, evil birth control!

Old 09-23-2012, 08:44 PM

629 posts, read 947,219 times
Quote:
Well, to be precise, they track the car, not you. Or the cell phone. The proper way to go off the grid is to ditch the technology. That makes it harder for THEM.

This forum needs a tin foil hat smiley.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:46 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,559,574 times
Quote:

I do not agree with the logic on this one. It is a public place so the word privacy does not apply as far as I am concerned. Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies