Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2012, 03:05 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,962,049 times

Advertisements

A really interesting read about the prospects ahead for the U.S. economy that avoids the partisan hackery so common when we discuss these issues here. It, gulp, contextualizes the U.S. economy within the world economy and finds that our current recovery is pretty much par for the course and indeed better than most.

Quote:
Economists Carmen Reinhart and Kenneth Rogoff compiled data on every financial crisis they could find going back to the 14th century. The conclusion of their ground-breaking research: Little can be done to coax households to spend after they’ve watched considerable wealth vanish before their eyes. The U.S. savings rate is now above 4 per cent, compared with zero ahead of the recession. That suggests a new era of American prudence that could lower the risk of another financial crisis. But that’s money that isn’t buying stuff at home or from abroad. Consumption accounts for some 70 per cent of U.S. GDP, and the U.S. constitutes 20 per cent of the global economy.

“The U.S. recovery is following the same dreary path of other advanced economies that have experienced financial crises,” Mr. Carney said in his Calgary speech.

The situation is not entirely hopeless. Treading water is better than sinking. The European Central Bank this week unveiled a new program to ease the region’s debt crisis, and the Federal Reserve is expected to take new stimulus measures next week. Monetary policy may have lost its power to propel, but it should keep economies afloat. Stock markets generally are stronger this year. The biggest corporations are piling up record levels of cash.

With no rebound in sight, there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 03:11 PM

29,843 posts, read 24,947,456 times
That's pretty much what it feels like. Americans are spending less, and many are also being paid less. Companies like Walmart are so large that they can rake in billions on microscopic margins. Many corporations will use their size as a competitive edge. As for American households... Who knows what will happen.

I know I am not spending much these days. $30 on groceries a week, $20 on gas every other week, rent and utilities... I have not made a major purchase in a couple years that I can recall. Being debt free is the best we can hope for these days. That's the new American norm. I honestly feel like this recession has completely change the way American think, and spend.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:13 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,911,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I know I am not spending much these days. $30 on groceries a week, $20 on gas every other week, rent and utilities... I have not made a major purchase in a couple years that I can recall. Being debt free is the best we can hope for these days. That's the new American norm. I honestly feel like this recession has completely change the way American think, and spend.
Ain't changed the wife's habits none.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:15 PM

29,843 posts, read 24,947,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Well, I don't have one of those to worry about

When I was dating more though, I was definitely spending more. Thankfully, taking on more working hours put an end to that nonsense

Whenever I talk to my father though, he complains about the latest useless purchase my mother made... Makes a strong case against marriage...

Old 09-08-2012, 03:19 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,304,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
It hasn't backed my wife off one bit. She still buys what she needs to keep things going and maybe a bit more, now and then.

The only thing close to a major expenditure for me has been this computer. I have even stopped buying clothes in getting ready to not need them too much longer. Don't want to leave my wife with a lot of unworn clothes of mine.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:40 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,689,062 times
Liquidity trap

Old 09-08-2012, 03:48 PM

487 posts, read 383,316 times
I would say my quality of life has definitely decreased over the last four years. I really can't remember the last time I went shopping for new clothes.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:40 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,988,735 times
Long-term, and that means decades, not years, the new normal and a free Democratic America are mutually exclusive. The new normal, sustained over such an extensive period, delegitimzes the notion of the American Dream. If that happens, via indirect methods, the old USSR and OBL win. For such an event would elimnate the moral compass that truly built America.

I would expect voter participation rates under such circumstances to drop below 25% for presidential elections, fully making a mockery of them. Worse for all other offices.

That is why we need any incentives to foster business growth, on a massive scale, in the private sector..NOW, as only greatly reducing the ratio of available workers to jobs can reverse this very dangerous situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies