Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 03:47 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,839,642 times

Advertisements

I was reading about the Great Depression last night, with 25% unemployment, and after austerity measures put in place in 1937, it spiked to 19% in 1938 as GDP contracted, and stayed above 14% until the start of WWII.

The Recovery from the Great Depression of the 1930s

Now, if you compare that to the Great Recession, with a bubble that was comparable in magnitude, we have seen slow, but steady improvement in unemployment from the peak of about 10% in 2009. The stimulus put out the house fire.

Chart Book: The Legacy of the Great Recession — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

After a huge financial shock is not the time to be cheap.

All this deficit stuff is silly when the economy is still wheezing and working guys in their prime are out of work. I think we need to launch a stimulus targeted directly toward the primary victims of this recession. Working class guys with a high school education or less, recent college graduates, and state employees.

I would propose:
1) Massive infrastructure projects. Replacing bridges, repairing highways, building rails to trails recreational trails, air ports,etc. This would employ the guys who were kicked out of work by the housing bubble. And ideally these would be efforts that would benefit us for decades to come.

2) Innovation competitions for college students and recent graduates to spur entrepreneurism. The kids could get a one to three year fellowship or grant to try out new business ideas, housed at universities, companies, or even working for themselves. These would be competitive and would give the educated kids on the sidelines the chance to show off and grow their skills.

3) Direct grants to the states to pub state workers back to work, keep schools open, and lower public sector unemployment. These would be three year grants.

Although this would increase the budget deficit in the immediate future, all the efforts are targeted to prime certain sectors of the private and public sectors that are in the tank right now. I suspect that they would all catalyze economic growth and consumer demand and get people back to work. When that happens, our revenues will increase and the deficit will go down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 04:00 PM

4,275 posts, read 5,207,104 times
- Massive bridge building? roads? I thought the 1st stimulus plan was going to do that?

- Did HP founders, Google, Apple, Microsoft, Intel, Walmart etc..need "innovation competitions?

- State workers are not hurting when compared to everyone else. The bloated local, state and federal work force was long over due to a downsizing.

FDR's Treasury, Henry Morgenthau said before Congress in 1939;

"As the Great Depression persisted, even Treasury Secretary Henry Morgenthau admitted that the New Deal had been a failure. On May 6, 1939, he confessed, “We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work. . . . We have never made good on our promises. . . . I say after eight years of this Administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started. . . . And an enormous debt to boot!”

Obama and the Liberals refuse to learn from FDR's mistakes so with luck he will not be reelected and Romney will learn from FDR's mistakes.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:05 PM

45,517 posts, read 26,794,342 times
Im sure future generations will appreciate all the debt the god of govervment is going to hand off to them as soon as they are born.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:41 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,877,991 times
I'll take a wad of cash.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:44 PM

23,661 posts, read 17,643,663 times
WWII and our soldiers coming home to start a family kick started the economy back then. That is what did the trick.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:54 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,465,866 times
When Democrats want to make a sales pitch for the stimulus, they always talk about roads, bridges, and other stuff that people want. But when they actually dole out the money, the roads and bridges get pushed aside and the money goes to other stuff. In my area they spent $500,000 in stimulus money on arts projects, including puppet shows.
Seattle - Arts - News

They also spent over $500,000 to replace windows in a Visitor's center at Mt. St. Helens. The only problem--the center was closed in 2007, and there are no plans to re-open it. The center was built in 1993 by the Forest Service at a cost of $11.5 million, but was closed in 2007 because it wasn't needed.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:01 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,323,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
- Massive bridge building? roads? I thought the 1st stimulus plan was going to do that?

- Did HP founders, Google, Apple, Microsoft, Intel, Walmart etc..need "innovation competitions?

- State workers are not hurting when compared to everyone else. The bloated local, state and federal work force was long over due to a downsizing.

FDR's Treasury, Henry Morgenthau said before Congress in 1939;

"As the Great Depression persisted, even Treasury Secretary Henry Morgenthau admitted that the New Deal had been a failure. On May 6, 1939, he confessed, “We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work. . . . We have never made good on our promises. . . . I say after eight years of this Administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started. . . . And an enormous debt to boot!”

Obama and the Liberals refuse to learn from FDR's mistakes so with luck he will not be reelected and Romney will learn from FDR's mistakes.
I love when todays libs try to compare Obama to FDR.
FDR did not do welfare, He did WPA that is how the roads and bridges were built. Massive manual labor.
only 6 % of the stimulous was used for infra structure the rest like spitting in the wind.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:02 PM

79,911 posts, read 44,564,622 times
What's the idea here? That we should start more wars? (Only those who don't understand history though believe that it was the war itself that brought us out of our malaise).

Old 09-06-2012, 05:59 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,839,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I love when todays libs try to compare Obama to FDR.
FDR did not do welfare, He did WPA that is how the roads and bridges were built. Massive manual labor.
only 6 % of the stimulous was used for infra structure the rest like spitting in the wind.
Well, I'd like to see 60% for infrastructure, 20% for the college kids, and 20% for the states. Just those three things. No spitting or wind.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:00 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,427,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Well, I'd like to see 60% for infrastructure, 20% for the college kids, and 20% for the states. Just those three things. No spitting or wind.
Tell me how giving people money to do things they are going to do anyways, stimulates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies