Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 11:52 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,974,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
Living in a right to work state, unions are rare here. I have, however, worked union jobs and belonged to 3 different unions throughout my careeer.

Even though I do not have to join a union to work, I do realize that many of the benefits I enjoy came about because of unions and through the blood and suffering of many b4 there were any workplace standards.

How many would like to go back to the conditions that existed b4 unions? Even though some claim they have gotten too powerful or uncompromising, they DID play an important part in the development of higher living standards for the middle and lower classes.

All one has to do is look at the working conditions in China now to be thankful that this movement did take place in the US.

Workers Die at Factories Used by Tommy Hilfiger - ABC News

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/26/wo...chinafire.html

The HR Capitalist: Picture of the Day: Workplace Suicide Nets In China...

And when talking about actions of past presidents to weaken unions, lets not forget about the air traffic controllers strike in the 1980's.

How did Ronald Reagan's union busting tactics affect union workers of today ? - Yahoo! Answers
Good Post. Just so everyone knows the war on labor is far from over. Oh and to those that think this holiday is a bad one, please feel free to go on into work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 11:53 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,274,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
And the GOP's plans for America would take us right back to the same conditions which created those labor wars in the first place. Unrestrained greed.
This. ^^^^

(I couldn't rep you again.)

Old 09-03-2012, 11:58 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,503,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Good Post. Just so everyone knows the war on labor is far from over. Oh and to those that think this holiday is a bad one, please feel free to go on into work.
You're right, Casper. I should have said DO instead of DID. Don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't trust corporations to keep the standards we now have in place if unions were not still involved.

Unions work for the rights of all workers, not just union members.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:44 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,998,127 times
https://p.twimg.com/A1pZgZ9CYAEBBpz.jpg

Old 09-03-2012, 01:50 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,503,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
And your point?? What does that have to do with the century old fight of the American worker for workplace rights?

Old 09-03-2012, 03:34 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,329,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13JERM View Post
LABOR DAY: Today is the day we remember those who fought for fair labor laws. Keep in mind, there was an actual WAR, fought right here in the USA , less than 100 years ago, between corporate power and workers.

If you don't know the history, I suggest you spend a few minutes reading.

Ludlow Massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Columbine Mine massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Colorado Labor Wars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Herrin massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lattimer massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bay View Massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hmmm, the war on labor, 100 years ago. Did you notice that your strikes were one in 1927, two in 1922, and the others were in the late 1800s. It ain't fair to use things over 120 years ago and using the number, 100, in your attempt to prove whatever it is you are working for.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:19 PM

14,488 posts, read 11,311,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13JERM View Post
LABOR DAY: Today is the day we remember those who fought for fair labor laws. Keep in mind, there was an actual WAR, fought right here in the USA , less than 100 years ago, between corporate power and workers.

If you don't know the history, I suggest you spend a few minutes reading.

Ludlow Massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Columbine Mine massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Colorado Labor Wars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Herrin massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lattimer massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bay View Massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Strangely absent are the many massacres the government and taxpayers perpetrated on the firefighters, teachers, and other civil servants down through history.

Maybe you can list those horrific moments in our past as well 13jerm?

Old 09-03-2012, 04:39 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,927,270 times
I believe the Republicans were winning the black vote 100 years ago. Things can change a bit in a century.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:40 PM

371 posts, read 444,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Strangely absent are the many massacres the government and taxpayers perpetrated on the firefighters, teachers, and other civil servants down through history.

Maybe you can list those horrific moments in our past as well 13jerm?
Or maybe, being of Cherokee decent, I should recall the massacre of natives?

No, today is Labor Day, how about we stick with that?

Old 09-03-2012, 04:41 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,927,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
And the GOP's plans for America would take us right back to the same conditions which created those labor wars in the first place. Unrestrained greed.
Of course it is only the other guy who is greedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies