Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 01:32 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,307,012 times

Advertisements

We as up standing citizens in this nation have agreed to pay our taxes. Nothing is being taken from us.

The government can’t give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody.

Dr. Adrian Rogers; 1985

“Friend, you cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. And what one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. Dr. Adrian Rogers; 1985

“Friend, you cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. And what one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government can’t give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody. And when half of the people get the idea they don’t have to work because the other half’s going to take care of them, and when the other half get the idea it does no good to work because somebody’s going to get what I work for. That, dear friend, is about the end of any nation.”

And when half of the people get the idea they don’t have to work because the other half’s going to take care of them, and when the other half get the idea it does no good to work because somebody’s going to get what I work for. That, dear friend, is about the end of any nation.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 01:34 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,579,605 times
ECHO.....echo......echo.......

Old 08-28-2012, 01:39 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,817,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
We as up standing citizens in this nation have agreed to pay our taxes. Nothing is being taken from us.

The government can’t give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody.

Dr. Adrian Rogers; 1985

“Friend, you cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. And what one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. Dr. Adrian Rogers; 1985

“Friend, you cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. And what one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government can’t give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody. And when half of the people get the idea they don’t have to work because the other half’s going to take care of them, and when the other half get the idea it does no good to work because somebody’s going to get what I work for. That, dear friend, is about the end of any nation.”

And when half of the people get the idea they don’t have to work because the other half’s going to take care of them, and when the other half get the idea it does no good to work because somebody’s going to get what I work for. That, dear friend, is about the end of any nation.”
This is cynical garbage. Half the people do not want to do nothing worthwhile. This dour take on society is just not justified. Sure, layabout behavior occurs, but so is it true that people profit by exploiting other people and actually doing them physical harm (toxic waste, addictive drugs). Criminal and antisocial behavior occur at all income levels, but they are the minority. All this ideological sloganeering is getting old. I though the conservatives were about common sense. All I seem to read lately are absolutist creeds that have no grounding in reality. This is one of them.

We are a society, and I would guess that the harsh judgment and negative view of poorer people and minorities do as much to advance the antisocial behavior as anything else. In a true community, the vast majority of the people care about their fellow citizens. It will always be a challenge to encourage a strong work ethic and self-respect, but that comes best when people feel they are accepted members of the community, not outcasts or serfs.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
This is cynical garbage. Half the people do not want to do nothing worthwhile. This dour take on society is just not justified. Sure, layabout behavior occurs, but so is it true that people profit by exploiting other people and actually doing them physical harm (toxic waste, addictive drugs). Criminal and antisocial behavior occur at all income levels, but they are the minority. All this ideological sloganeering is getting old. I though the conservatives were about common sense. All I seem to read lately are absolutist creeds that have no grounding in reality. This is one of them.

We are a society, and I would guess that the harsh judgment and negative view of poorer people and minorities do as much to advance the antisocial behavior as anything else. In a true community, the vast majority of the people care about their fellow citizens. It will always be a challenge to encourage a strong work ethic and self-respect, but that comes best when people feel they are accepted members of the community, not outcasts or serfs.
You said that very well. Thanks

Old 08-28-2012, 02:02 PM

25,231 posts, read 17,007,939 times
The problem with the point made here is what I see repeated over and over, stop doing this or stop doing that but no suggstions on how to deal with the issues that must be dealt with. Either you are part of the solution or you are part of the problem, it is up to each of us to chose which we will be.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:30 PM

5,864 posts, read 5,003,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
The problem with the point made here is what I see repeated over and over, stop doing this or stop doing that but no suggstions on how to deal with the issues that must be dealt with. Either you are part of the solution or you are part of the problem, it is up to each of us to chose which we will be.
The problem is that half the crap leftists and progressives talk about on there is just blatantly unconstitutional and theft. The "solution" is that the government has no business being involved in taking care of people, regulating the market, regulating what people put in their bodies, what they smoke, who they marry, what they do with the fruits of the labor, or the confiscation of money from one class of citizens to give to another class of citizens. Your so called "solutions" are just regurgitations of the ideas that got us into this mess in the first place.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:32 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,608,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
You said that very well. Thanks
No it isn't. Self-respect comes from accomplishment, from doing, not from receiving something for nothing.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
No it isn't. Self-respect comes from accomplishment, from doing, not from receiving something for nothing.
Where did i say it wasn't?

Old 08-28-2012, 02:45 PM

16,222 posts, read 11,422,137 times
Why not tell the truth?? Because, to an electorate with too many cases of arrested development, the truth is no fun.

Sadly, democracy too often fits the description of "two wolves and one lamb deciding what's for lunch".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies