Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 09:03 AM

4,584 posts, read 12,406,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I know so many people who want Obamacare. Most can't get insurance because of predetermined conditions. Why should they be denied?? I am so glad that those opposed have great insurance
And I'm one of the millions of them. In '08 I lost my full time job that included health insurance and the Cobra offered was beyond my reach at $1400 a month. Fast forward to today, I'm now 62 with a full time "temp" job at a hospital and STILL no insurance. GA does offer a policy but it's just about 1/2 of my monthly take home pay so it's still out of reach for me financially. My only hope for affordable health insurance is O care and it can't come soon enough. Right now I go to PP for my annual exams and mamograms because they have a sliding scale payment without PP I'd get nothing. According to flipper those of us without insurance should go to the ED...right...like they are going to do a pap and mamogram.

I think the USA is missing out on a golden opportunity to look at all the healthcare systems now in existence and figure out what would work best for US. Our healthcare system is broken, there are too many people just like me who can't get and can't afford insurance right now. Here in the USA we spend more on administrative costs than any other country because of the insurance companies...they deny deny deny. Have any of you ever read your letters from them...I do every day at work as I work in Case Management as an admin - those pre-approval letters say yes we will "approve" xyz...however, in the next paragraph in small print it sez something like while we approve the procedure it doesn't mean we will PAY for it. Health insurance companies are in the business to make money not to care for people and the sooner they are gone the better off we will all be. My whole department of 58 people (for a 350 bed hospital) are made up of advanced degreed RN's making mega bucks just to fight with insurance companies. They are so buried in the clerical end of the mess that they've hired 3 temps to help and I'm one of them, the amount of paperwork required by the insurance companies to get a payment is beyond rediculous.

The largest segment of Bankruptcy fillings are related to catastrophic health care issues and those are the people who had insurance - we are only one heart attack, serious car wreck or cancer diagnosis away from a catastrophic event that could ruin you and your family. Only the the very wealthy come out unscathed. Most insurances are the 80/20 - you pay 20% ...well 20% of a catastrophic health event can run way beyond most peoples means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 10:14 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,737,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Yep. See, us agnostic lesbians aren't all bad.

However, I also believe that ALL medical decisions should be made by the patient with guidance of their doctor. And I do mean ALL. including abortion, and end of life decisions (euthanasia if wanted in terminal cases)
WOW! I agree with you, too.

You are 100+ correct.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:19 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,298,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Medical decisions should be made by medical personal.
Insurance is not a medical decision. It is a payment system.

which is what Insurance companies were doing. They were telling Americans exactly what they would cover, or else YOU have to foot the bill.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:20 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,737,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Considering that people pay into medicare while they are working it is like insurance. Don't make people pay into it, and then the govt can get out of it.

The govt took money for a service, it needs to pay out for that service for those that have paid in, or refund their money. Same thing goes for social security.
They also pay into it after they retire. I pay $119/mo for Part B.. It's deducted from my SS check.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:32 AM

33,012 posts, read 27,619,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
NO FEDERAL MONEY IS BEING USED TO PAY FOR ELECTIVE ABORTIONS! Get that straight!

People who pay for insurance should get the drugs their doctors feel they need.

The rest doesn't even deserve a response.

Shouldn't people who pay for insurance get to decide which elective procedures and drugs, if any, they choose to insure?

Old 10-21-2012, 10:35 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,298,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Shouldn't people who pay for insurance get to decide which elective procedures and drugs, if any, they choose to insure?
its cheaper for insurance companies to include as many as they want, as they work with the Drug Companies to get the reduced amount.

so a Drug Company has 10 products. Insurance company then works with them to get a discount for all 10.

If you have it your way, then Insurance companies would have to negotiate costs per drug that the drug companies make. So if only 10,000 people need Drug A but 100,000 need Drug B, it would cost the insurance company more to track these costs and figure out what kind of premiums to charge a person.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:50 AM

8,669 posts, read 9,214,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
And I'm one of the millions of them. In '08 I lost my full time job that included health insurance and the Cobra offered was beyond my reach at $1400 a month. Fast forward to today, I'm now 62 with a full time "temp" job at a hospital and STILL no insurance. GA does offer a policy but it's just about 1/2 of my monthly take home pay so it's still out of reach for me financially. My only hope for affordable health insurance is O care and it can't come soon enough. Right now I go to PP for my annual exams and mamograms because they have a sliding scale payment without PP I'd get nothing. According to flipper those of us without insurance should go to the ED...right...like they are going to do a pap and mamogram.

I think the USA is missing out on a golden opportunity to look at all the healthcare systems now in existence and figure out what would work best for US. Our healthcare system is broken, there are too many people just like me who can't get and can't afford insurance right now. Here in the USA we spend more on administrative costs than any other country because of the insurance companies...they deny deny deny. Have any of you ever read your letters from them...I do every day at work as I work in Case Management as an admin - those pre-approval letters say yes we will "approve" xyz...however, in the next paragraph in small print it sez something like while we approve the procedure it doesn't mean we will PAY for it. Health insurance companies are in the business to make money not to care for people and the sooner they are gone the better off we will all be. My whole department of 58 people (for a 350 bed hospital) are made up of advanced degreed RN's making mega bucks just to fight with insurance companies. They are so buried in the clerical end of the mess that they've hired 3 temps to help and I'm one of them, the amount of paperwork required by the insurance companies to get a payment is beyond rediculous.

The largest segment of Bankruptcy fillings are related to catastrophic health care issues and those are the people who had insurance - we are only one heart attack, serious car wreck or cancer diagnosis away from a catastrophic event that could ruin you and your family. Only the the very wealthy come out unscathed. Most insurances are the 80/20 - you pay 20% ...well 20% of a catastrophic health event can run way beyond most peoples means.
I've lived the nightmare and can relate but instead I will state this: Any nation that allows this is on the wrong track...After 9-11 several for-profit health insurance companies were about to disqualify those who were injured on 9-11 because in their contracts it states clearly they do not cover those who were injured because of an act of war (the main reason the VA exists). This wouldn't stand because no sovereign nation was behind the attack, although one could make the argument that Afghanistan was. Fast forward several years, many who helped dig out the mess in NY became ill, many firemen in-fact. Most lost their jobs thus lost their coverage. With a pre-existing condition many could not get coverage. It literally took an act of congress to get those people health care.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:06 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,975,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post

of course health insurance companies are in the business to make money, so i can't see why anyone would be excited about MANDATORY health insurance or paying a MANDATORY penalty. To me, the only insurance that makes sense is catastrophic health insurance because the majority of americans won't need it, but some will, and they shouldn't have to face bankruptcy for circumstances beyond their control.

how people think that a 2,400 page monster bill (written by lobbyists) is going to work in their best interest is beyond me. the government is broke, and isn't actually looking to give away "more stuff", but to collect more revenue.

americans have a right to know how much medical care costs, so all charges should be posted on the door in the office before you walk in. i do think it is ridiculous that people have to wait to see what their "bill" eventually will be, after the haggling with the insurance companies is over. how much better would it be if people could shop prices before they get elective care? clark howard had a couple of good pieces on negotiated health care, (including negotiated surgery rates) which could be of great benefit to those americans who need to see a doctor.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:23 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,343,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
You never know what drug(s) your doctor is going to prescribe! Not sure what you mean about elective procedures. Most ins. now does not cover plastic surgery except reconstructive, e.g after an accident, laser surgery for vision correction, infertility treatments, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies