Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Man-Made Global Warming Exist?
Yes 41 51.90%
No 38 48.10%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 10:54 AM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Be prepared for the "validation" claims to come rolling in soon though. The arctic is having a nice little dip this year and looks like it may surpass 2007. It is far from the "ice free prediction" made by some though, it it is a healthy loss this year so far. The ice is thinner and the arctic had a nasty storm roll in which broke up a lot of the ice (which contributes to faster melt), but don't count on that being mentioned though.

Sea Ice Reference Page | Watts Up With That?

Also, watch how there will be no mention of Antarctic which is showing record growth every year for the last 3-4 years.

I actually would like to see the arctic completely ice free during a summer, it would be interesting to see and not to mention it would be a major shipping boon for the season. Honestly though, I don't see it happening anytime soon and we will eventually head into a cooling cycle which may have directional change on the trends.
You talk as though science has predicted an ice free arctic this summer....Not very honest of you...In its 2007 report, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) said that in the “business as usual” scenario, the Arctic could become ice free in summer around 2100. But later that year, Arctic sea ice hit an unprecedented record low, and for the last three years sea ice has remained far below IPCC projections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 10:54 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I wanted to vote, Joe, but failed to find hell no as a choice so I just voted no.

When I think about how seriously the EPA wanted to charge farmers for cow farts because of all that gas they expel I have to think about wondering how many dinosaurs were on this Earth once. Huge animals and ruminants (plant eaters) just like cows. I wonder what it sounded like when very any of them farted in one area.

IPCC was never anything but another attempt by some global dreamers of a chance to take over. How far behind are our plants these days from keeping up with replenishment of oxygen. Also, how do they exist without all that CO2 that is so important to them.
So how many more abnormal hot and dry summers, like this one, do we have to have before you will believe that global warming is certainly no hoax?

Old 08-17-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
I guess global warming caused record cold also.

Oklahoma sees record cold: -31 - Weather - NBCNews.com
But last winter was abnormally warm in Oklahoma. Many areas saw little or no snow.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
That key changes in the composition of the atmosphere are being caused by man is a Fact. The evidence is in the ratio of carbon isotopes in the CO2 in our atmosphere is changing to match that of the fossil fuels we are burning. The ratio of these isotopes was dfferent in ice cores taken of ice created more than 300 years ago and it is different from the ratio seen when known volcanos erupted like Santorini or Toba and when the climate warmed up at the end of the last Ice Age. The globe is warming up most of the heat energy now is going into melting ice and warming the seas up and the heat capacity and the latent heat of fusion of ice is larger than that of air , CO2 levels are being partialy kept in check by the fact that CO2 can be dissolved in sea water like what happens when the CO2 fizz is being put into soda pop and CO2 does react with water to form a weak acid called carbonic acid. The increasing acidity of the oceans is killing coral reefs on a global scale and at a given temperature sea water will become saturated with CO2 and it will take up no more. Then all the CO2 put in the atmosphere will contribute to the greenhouse. A statement like global warming to a physicist is a poor choice of words because the amount heat energy on the Earth comes mostly from the Sun and is not changing . What is changing is how his energy is partitioned . For example a lot of solar energy is reflected back into space and this dependes on the color of the Earth (in otherwords it cloud cover, the faction of the world covered by ice, by deserts and by vegetation and by the color of the oceans themselves). A lot of the Earths thermal energy ends up in the oceans rather than the atmosphere and the Oceans have a large temperature differences from the surface to the bottom and from the equator to the poles. This drivesw ocen currents and the atmosphere goes along for the ride. As long as the ocean currents stay much the same our weather will be more or less the same but if they change or weaken then look out . For example a warmer world my have no ice caps, more deserts and clound cover or darker oceans with more plankton of algae. We don't know what the hurricane season will be in such a world, Such a world may only be a couple of degrees warmer on average but it might be a very different place
But the man who may be the vice president of the United States would disagree with you:

"Leading climatologists make clear efforts to use statistical tricks to distort their findings and intentionally mislead the public on the issue of climate change. The CRU e-mail scandal reveals a perversion of the scientific method, where data were manipulated to support a predetermined conclusion." Paul Ryan

Old 08-17-2012, 11:22 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So how many more abnormal hot and dry summers, like this one, do we have to have before you will believe that global warming is certainly no hoax?
Man caused the hot and dry summers?

Regional warming you mean? Texas is not "abnormal" this year. It has reached nowhere near the records. We aren't even in severe water restrictions this year as we were last year.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
But last winter was abnormally warm in Oklahoma. Many areas saw little or no snow.
Last winter we also saw record cold temps and record snow in some places. I am not sure what your point is?

Old 08-17-2012, 11:31 AM

657 posts, read 697,560 times
jeez, the US must be the only country in the world where there is still a debate about whether or not global warming is real...

Old 08-17-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Last winter we also saw record cold temps and record snow in some places. I am not sure what your point is?
So the world needs to wake up and figure out that it's really global COOLING going on? Global warming is one of the biggest hoaxes ever cooked up by mankind?

Old 08-17-2012, 11:40 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,738 times
Al Gore! Al Gore! Junk science! Junk science! Michael Moore! Michael Moore!

It's all made up, just like evolution and gravity and heliocentrism.

Evolution is just a theory, you know?

Does anyone remember that one poor sod, a climatologist, that the Cato Institute and the other usual suspects used to roll out as the "dissenter" on global warming? That poor old bas*ard. He's gotta be dead by now. Probably from exhaustion. I think he came out of the same factory as the scientists the cigarette companies rolled out to dispute that cigarettes kill people.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
So the world needs to wake up and figure out that it's really global COOLING going on? Global warming is one of the biggest hoaxes ever cooked up by mankind?

Interesting.

Could you explain how you came to that conclusion based on my response?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies