Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 12:03 PM

13,874 posts, read 9,852,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
The GOP didn't campaign on creating jobs, it campaigned on creating an environment for job creation which includes blocking nearly everything Obama has proposed. Democrats are the ones who campaign on creating jobs with government money.
Then how come we were seeing bigger job gains per month with Democrats in control as compared to now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 12:05 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,888,893 times
And they push the BS rhetoric that it always the fault of the other party.

Right now the dems are saying the house is standing in their way and the house says we pass bills that you won't bring to a vote. Partisan BS from both sides.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:08 PM

61,254 posts, read 87,938,915 times
lobbies keep congressmen in office not voters.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:09 PM

38,839 posts, read 22,704,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Gallup polls report that congressional approval ratings have never been lower in its 38-years of reporting results. Congress Approval Ties All-Time Low at 10%

As anyone who is paying attention comes to realize, our politicians have found the election loophole in our political system of electing representatives. Each politician quickly realizes that their own political fortunes are tied only to the satisfaction level of their own immediate constituents. It really doesn't matter whether their actions evidence any real interest in leading the country or solving its problems ... or even that their own national disapproval level might be as high as 90%!!

All a politician must do is trade enough votes for other politician's 'pork projects' .... to be able to garner enough votes for their own 'pork projects' to convince their narrow range of constituents to re-elect them." (Of course, this "pork" is always paid for by people who are NOT their constituents and who have no voice in voting them in or out of office!)

The only solution I can see is 'term limits' that move the focus from 'buying pork-related votes' ... to actually leading our country out of the mess we are in. Of course, the inherent problem there is that the very people who benefit from the current system, ... would need to vote against their own self-interests. So, let the approval ratings drop to even 5% --- It doesn't really matter, as long as they can continue to bring home the bacon to the folks in Podunk, Anywhere!

Your thoughts?
Well, you have a president and a senate leader that are destroying the nation, I would not expect anything much higher then that.

I am hoping for a change once Republicans take over the entire congress and the presidency. We don't have the same liberal, moderate, selfish republicans that we had under Bush, so I'm expecting good things to happen.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 85,027,307 times
The average American has a reading comprehension at the 8th grade level.
8th grade people. You think any of them read bills proposed by Congress ?
Do you think any of them read detailed analyses of current issues/proposals ?
Do you think they actually know how to separate facts from exaggerations ?
Do you think they can tell when they read biased stories ?
Do you think many read past the headlines ?
And the best..how many actually read vs just listening/watching opinionated news casts ?

This is the majority now. These are the people that vote. They vote on what they hear/read as the truth regardless of where it came from.

Just yesterday I was with a group of women (8) and it got around to politics and one told us that "Romney hasn't paid taxes in 10 years. Who would want that man for a President ?" I would have loved to have spoken up but I knew better (a conservative among liberals) so I watched to see if any would correct her. Didn't happen.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:10 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,957,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Then how come we were seeing bigger job gains per month with Democrats in control as compared to now?
I don't know. Why don't you survey the businesses who hired and ask them? Do you really think it's because Democrats were in power? Give me a break Democrats are totally anti-business, their plaforms and legislation show it.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:11 PM

13,620 posts, read 12,814,330 times
Quote:
Gallup polls report that congressional approval ratings have never been lower in its 38-years of reporting results. Congress Approval Ties All-Time Low at 10%

As anyone who is paying attention comes to realize, our politicians have found the election loophole in our political system of electing representatives. Each politician quickly realizes that their own political fortunes are tied only to the satisfaction level of their own immediate constituents. It really doesn't matter whether their actions evidence any real interest in leading the country or solving its problems ... or even that their own national disapproval level might be as high as 90%!!

All a politician must do is trade enough votes for other politician's 'pork projects' .... to be able to garner enough votes for their own 'pork projects' to convince their narrow range of constituents to re-elect them." (Of course, this "pork" is always paid for by people who are NOT their constituents and who have no voice in voting them in or out of office!)

The only solution I can see is 'term limits' that move the focus from 'buying pork-related votes' ... to actually leading our country out of the mess we are in. Of course, the inherent problem there is that the very people who benefit from the current system, ... would need to vote against their own self-interests. So, let the approval ratings drop to even 5% --- It doesn't really matter, as long as they can continue to bring home the bacon to the folks in Podunk, Anywhere!

Your thoughts?

who put them into office? we the sheeples, say's a lot about the voting populus

Old 08-15-2012, 01:08 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,489,387 times
Quote:

Your thoughts?
One of the problems with the House is it is too small. 435 people represent 330,000,000. No one person can fairly and equally represent 750,000 constituents. Each voice, unless it is especially powerful, gets lost in the noise. A larger House would allow more people to access local politicians.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:17 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,595,167 times
Quote:
10% Approval; 83% Disapproval - How does Congress Continue?
Because the only option to not voting for Politician A is to vote for Politician B. The result? The same.

[voting is the only poll that really counts]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies