Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2012, 03:07 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,554,869 times

Advertisements

One liberal whose life has included one moment to be proud of is Jimmy Carter...

Jimmy Carter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
After high school, Carter enrolled at Georgia Southwestern College, in Americus. Later, he applied to the United States Naval Academy and, after taking additional mathematics courses at Georgia Tech, he was admitted in 1943. Carter graduated 59th out of 820 midshipmen at the Naval Academy with a Bachelor of Science degree with an unspecified major, as was the custom at the academy at that time.

Carter served on surface ships and on diesel-electric submarines in the Atlantic and Pacific fleets. As a junior officer, he completed qualification for command of a diesel-electric submarine. He applied for the US Navy's fledgling nuclear submarine program run by then Captain Hyman G. Rickover. Rickover's demands on his men and machines were legendary, and Carter later said that, next to his parents, Rickover had the greatest influence on him. Carter has said that he loved the Navy, and had planned to make it his career. His ultimate goal was to become Chief of Naval Operations. Carter felt the best route for promotion was with submarine duty since he felt that nuclear power would be increasingly used in submarines. Carter was based in Schenectady, New York, and working on developing training materials for the nuclear propulsion system for the prototype of a new submarine.
If we had more young liberals (like YOUNG Jimmy Carter) who honored their country with military service then I believe we'd get this country back on track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 03:08 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,057,024 times
What is a "political faith"?

Old 07-29-2012, 04:22 PM

29,225 posts, read 22,442,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Me, too, Harrier. While I am proud of my military service, I don't believe serving in the military should be a requirement for any politician. But I believe that any civil service really helps give a politician better perspectives and better political decisions, whether it is military or civilian.

The draft is now long in the past. I seriously doubt we will ever have a future President who has had military service in his résumé again, unless we elect a President who had a military career before turning to politics. It seems that the era of the citizen soldier, who does his bit and comes home after a hitch is over.

Although I'm liberal, I have voted for many conservatives who I believed were the best choice for the job, and I'm proud of almost every vote I've ever cast. In my days as a young voter, though, I was sometimes dismayed that my choice didn't turn out to be the person I thought he was. But that's politics; I don't expect any one of them will do exactly what I want once in office. That's OK with me most of the time, as the last thing I want is a robot who only follows the party line and never uses his best judgement on all the individual considerations that come with the job.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:31 PM

68,352 posts, read 54,527,600 times
I don't think it's exactly pride but as much as I disliked G W Bush's decisons as POTUS I have to give him high marks for conducting himself with class and dignity since leaving office.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:39 PM

38,101 posts, read 22,246,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Church of 0bama?

Old 07-29-2012, 04:42 PM

38,101 posts, read 22,246,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I don't think it's exactly pride but as much as I disliked G W Bush's decisons as POTUS I have to give him high marks for conducting himself with class and dignity since leaving office.
I'm not a fan of his either, but I saw in the news where he and his wife Laura spent the 4th of July visiting orphans in Zambia, Southern Africa. He is a good man.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:24 PM

764 posts, read 598,189 times
Carters best moment was the Crisis Of Confidence speech. Very honest...

Old 07-29-2012, 05:55 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,369,294 times
I like the OP's use of the phrase "political faith." For many people on both sides of the great divide, it accurately describes their way of compensating for the displacement of organized religion, a fact which some celebrate and others mourn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies