Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 09:07 AM

994 posts, read 1,593,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
You ought to visit the reservations of So Dak. I don't think there is any worse poverty and hopelessness in the US than the Pine Ridge reservation here. The sad part is, the reservation system is a gov't made and fostered phenomena.
SO true. South Dakota is a very poor state overall. You have hillbilly hell out here once you leave the cities (which aren't much better) just like in rural CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 09:07 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,233,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Sounds like you were in California. Yes, California is a national disgrace. You should have come to Texas.
I can show him enough deprivation in Texas in one day to last him his entire life. Hell, i don't even need a whole day...a few hours TOPS. Put a sock in it.

Anyway, this is a huge country. You can't travel that many miles and not see variations on the American Experiece. Some of us are prosperous, some of us are poor, some of us just barely get buy, some of us are wealthier than you can imagine. I like that about America....our experiences run the gamut.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:08 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,431,930 times
California is the most liberal, illegal immigrants and welfare recipients than any other state. Kind of like Britain.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:10 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,425,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I can show him enough deprivation in Texas in one day to last him his entire life. Hell, i don't even need a whole day...a few hours TOPS. Put a sock in it.

Anyway, this is a huge country. You can't travel that many miles and not see variations on the American Experiece. Some of us are prosperous, some of us are poor, some of us just barely get buy, some of us are wealthier than you can imagine. I like that about America....our experiences run the gamut.
But we are all free. For now anyway.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:13 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,233,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
But we are all free. For now anyway.
Meh...Americans get a little carried away with the whole "free" thing. We're not the only free nation on the planet by far.

I mean, i understand what you're saying, but i don't get into the whole freedom thing. At this point, it's well worn platitude.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:19 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,860,256 times
I've always noticed San Francisco is incredibly cool and clean.

The rest of the Bay Area is like a third world country.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:19 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,425,426 times
Quote:
Meh...Americans get a little carried away with the whole "free" thing. We're not the only free nation on the planet by far.

I mean, i understand what you're saying, but i don't get into the whole freedom thing. At this point, it's well worn platitude.
If you question it's value you don't "understand what I'm saying."

Ask the OP about UK freedom. We stomped the Brits 200+ years ago and they have been working behind the scenes to take it back ever since.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:21 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,905,578 times
Quote:
Ya obviously don't understand the difference between anti-materialism and deprivation.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:22 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,557,411 times
Last I heard, California was still part of the United States of America, so yes, the OP did experience part of America. Considering that California's population is larger than Canada, we probably have the highest number of many groups, not just illegals and gangbangers.

Also, you're incorrect that two or three counties have declared bankruptcy. These cities have declared bankruptcy:

Vallejo (2008)
Stockton (2012)
San Bernardino (2012)
Mammoth Lakes (2012)

By all means, the OP should visit other parts of the U.S. It's a vast place with a lot to offer. However, bashing California isn't the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
You didn't experience AMERICA, you experienced the welfare state of Mexifornia. The state with the largest number of illegals and gangbangers and where two/three counties declared bankruptcy.

There are 50 states to visit and yes, poverty can be on a widespread scale or there are pockets. Americans have a history of not travelling beyond their borders. Americans do travel, within their own borders as there is so much diversity with things to see and do.

If you should decide to return, take a look at what other states have to offer. Why, you might even find something to do "in the middle of nowhere".

Old 07-29-2012, 09:26 AM

23,570 posts, read 17,249,899 times
"long lost outposts steeped in poverty and decrepitation "

First consideration is that there is an equlibrium in America that settles out in a choice of a place to live and like minded people tend to gather.

2ndly, the old cars or boats and tyvek wrapped houses unfinished with siding, represent someone's dreams. Ask if the car is for sale and the answer will be, 'no, I'm going to fix that up some day". Same deal with boats and home projects not completed.

These are the personal dreams that people need to fuel their life.

It is not importabnt that dreams are fulfilled, it is far more important to have a dream you can hold onto to carry you through the days.

The beauty is of America is you can go wherever you like, depends on your motivation and dreams. That is the American dream. what you saw in your travels are primordial dreams waiting to be dreamt.

A myopic view to characterize a diverse nation is so euro provincial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies