Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 10:22 PM

24,600 posts, read 33,538,159 times

Advertisements

ayannaaaliyah,

Regarding Haliburton, don't forget that it also had (no-bid) contracts with the Clinton administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 10:28 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,596,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
ayannaaaliyah,

Regarding Haliburton, don't forget that it also had (no-bid) contracts with the Clinton administration.
There's a big difference in being 19th on the U.S. Army's list of top contractors to number 1 in 2003. This wasn't about the Clinton administration vs. the Bush administration, the issue here is "puppet master" grossly enriching himself at the expense of American lives and Pimping the taxpayers.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:43 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,164,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
We only wish your mentality was the mentality of our adversaries!
I have to really choose my words because I know you are of the sensitive type, so I will try not to offend. Fortunately intimidation does work! When some scumbag punk comes up to me and my family and threatens to do harm, & I stick my desert eagle in his face, thats pretty damn intimidating, and they will step off in a hurry, "UNLESS" they dont believe I have the stomach to pull the trigger! PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH , mhouse , your feel good, live & let live, america is no better than anybody else, happy, happy kumbaya, cant we all just get along, nonsense is the very reason we are dangerously close to more conflicts and Iran has no qualms about keeping the pot stirred in Iraq. They are banking on the US not having the stomach to pull the trigger! Like I said if only are adversaries thought the way you do!
You mischaracterize me entirely, silas. Your gun-in-the-face solution breeds exactly the experience you describe in an endless self-perpetuating cycle of violence. Intimidation is for weaklings who don't know strength doesn't require physical might or weaponry. I have disarmed (figuratively) many people who intimidated me by standing tall and not playing that game. All your strength is in the gun, leaving you a weak individual. And what peace is there in fear? What part of fear brings peace? Why would any rational individual create that scenario when there are better options? If you're going to resort to guns, be prepared to experience both sides of the barrel.

I don't whimsically ascribe anti-American labels to people who don't agree with me. Yet, you blame me for the fall of our country as if it's already happened! You choose to employ fear as a weapon, not realizing it's already in your own heart. Your enemies do exactly what you are doing: they are using intimidation and you're playing along with it. If any line of thinking emboldens the enemy, it's your "I'm convinced they're gonna kill us!" attitude. YOU empower THEM by believing it. Who's gonna win this stupid battle and where does it stop? Most importantly, is this the best way to solve this problem?

If you ever stopped to think that you actually have a choice in the matter, you'd understand where I am coming from. You are being used as a pawn to continue a losing game, as are most people who fall into this us vs. them mentality.

Last edited by mhouse2001; 10-01-2007 at 11:54 PM..

Old 10-02-2007, 04:33 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,611,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
You're the one that's distorted. The end result is N. Korea duped an incompetent administration and the next administration had to clean up the mess.
The Mess was created during the Reagan and Bush-1 administrations, and it fell to the Clinton administration to deal with that. With some rather odd help from Jimmy Carter, and some first rate diplomacy done while standing at the brink of war, a deal was agreed to that accomplished every major US policy objective. The task from there was to keep the DPRK problem in the bottle. Two things undermined that task. First, the myopic Gingrich-led Congress that couldn't resist poking fingers in North Korea's eye, and then an absolutely blind Chief Executive who went all axis-of-evil and we-only-do-multilateral on the situation. This all probably belongs as a discussion in a separate thread, but I doubt that the right-wingers collectively have much more to add than what you already did, so forget about it. If you'd like to learn a little about the actual, as opposed to the NewsMax, history of the time, pick up a copy of Going Critical by Robert Gallucci...a very good inside look at how we got to 1994 and how we should have been able to move forward from there...

Last edited by saganista; 10-02-2007 at 04:55 AM..

Old 10-02-2007, 06:43 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,220,359 times
For you Silas, and anyone interested in another view about the dictator mentality:

AlterNet: War on Iraq: Four Myths Government and Media Use to Scare Us About 'Dictators'

Old 10-02-2007, 06:59 AM

9,933 posts, read 10,908,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
You mischaracterize me entirely, silas. Your gun-in-the-face solution breeds exactly the experience you describe in an endless self-perpetuating cycle of violence. Intimidation is for weaklings who don't know strength doesn't require physical might or weaponry. I have disarmed (figuratively) many people who intimidated me by standing tall and not playing that game. All your strength is in the gun, leaving you a weak individual. And what peace is there in fear? What part of fear brings peace? Why would any rational individual create that scenario when there are better options? If you're going to resort to guns, be prepared to experience both sides of the barrel.

I don't whimsically ascribe anti-American labels to people who don't agree with me. Yet, you blame me for the fall of our country as if it's already happened! You choose to employ fear as a weapon, not realizing it's already in your own heart. Your enemies do exactly what you are doing: they are using intimidation and you're playing along with it. If any line of thinking emboldens the enemy, it's your "I'm convinced they're gonna kill us!" attitude. YOU empower THEM by believing it. Who's gonna win this stupid battle and where does it stop? Most importantly, is this the best way to solve this problem?

If you ever stopped to think that you actually have a choice in the matter, you'd understand where I am coming from. You are being used as a pawn to continue a losing game, as are most people who fall into this us vs. them mentality.
Really, mhouse, is this some kind of gahndi type stuff?
I literally dont know how to respond to this, so I will just ask, when the next terrorist attack takes place on American soil and kills our fellow Americans, Is our response to the terrorists "sorry we are not going to be pawns in your game, we dont fear you and we are not intimidated by you, we have a choice and we choose to stand tall and not play your game!" ?

Old 10-02-2007, 08:10 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,765,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
The Mess was created during the Reagan and Bush-1 administrations, and it fell to the Clinton administration to deal with that. With some rather odd help from Jimmy Carter, and some first rate diplomacy done while standing at the brink of war, a deal was agreed to that accomplished every major US policy objective. The task from there was to keep the DPRK problem in the bottle. Two things undermined that task. First, the myopic Gingrich-led Congress that couldn't resist poking fingers in North Korea's eye, and then an absolutely blind Chief Executive who went all axis-of-evil and we-only-do-multilateral on the situation. This all probably belongs as a discussion in a separate thread, but I doubt that the right-wingers collectively have much more to add than what you already did, so forget about it. If you'd like to learn a little about the actual, as opposed to the NewsMax, history of the time, pick up a copy of Going Critical by Robert Gallucci...a very good inside look at how we got to 1994 and how we should have been able to move forward from there...
I was wondering how long it would take you to BLAME BUSH!!!!!!!!!!

Reagan and Bush 41 didn’t create that little dictator in N Korea. That little psychopath only wants power and attention and Clinton gave him both.
Maybe if Clinton wasn’t preoccupied with getting ‘little Willie’ serviced he could have done something instead of sending that loser Jimma Carter.
Now you’re blaming a Congress or Gingrich. As far as I know the president is the commander in chief, you know the buck stops here, or is that just when it’s a republican president?
Since N Korea is now working to dismantle their nuclear capabilities looks like the “absolutely blind Chief Executive who went all axis-of-evil and we-only-do-multilateral on the situation” had the RIGHT plan to get the problem solved.

Your attempt to push this off on Bush has failed. Strength works. Appeasing the enemy only strengthens the enemy.
I proved it with the two examples of how the US dealt with N Korea. One made the US look weak and the enemy stronger the other put the fear in them, made them listen and now they are ending their nuclear program.

I stand by this quote;

“The right way to deal with a dangerous out of control regime is set boundaries as to what is acceptable, establish the consequences for non compliance, monitor their behavior and follow through with the consequences for non compliance.

The left way is set boundaries, that both sides know will never be enforced.
Give them the very weapons you are trying to keep them from having.
Look the other way and when it’s too late to do anything about it, spin it into looking like it’s a good thing that an out of control dictator can destroy his neighbor.
Have the UN impose meaningless sanctions that neither side will ever monitor and tell their followers that all is well.”

Old 10-02-2007, 08:27 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,880,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
The Mess was created during the Reagan and Bush-1 administrations...
Mess?

You mean the end of the Cold War...the greatest peacetime economic growth cycle since the Industrial Revolution...the rise in personal wealth thanks to tax cuts...the restoration of American confidence and pride after the abysmal '70s...?

Oh yeah, what a mess!
</sarcasm>

Old 10-02-2007, 08:44 AM

41,457 posts, read 60,128,238 times
The wealth created during the Regan times went somewhere besides me. His energy policies put me out of business. There are some things I will not forget and that is one of them.

I do know who my enemies are. Neocon economics, tyrannical presidents and bible thumpers top the list followed closely by drunk drivers. ******* terrorists arre not even on it.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:09 AM

9,933 posts, read 10,908,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
T

I do know who my enemies are. Neocon economics, tyrannical presidents and bible thumpers top the list followed closely by drunk drivers. ******* terrorists arre not even on it.
thank you ! that explains alot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies