Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 10:18 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,116,202 times

Advertisements

Romney was at a fundraiser describing a previous speech to another crowd and how they were not receptive to his criticism of Obamacare. So who was this other crowd he's referring to that was unreceptive to the idea of gov't "freebies" being taken away? A group of drug-addled prostitutes? Welfare mothers? Chronically unemployed?

Nope. It was the NAACP convention. For those of you that have never been to an event like that, the vast majority of that crowd are Black, working professionals, and a lot who aren't are in school to reach that level and beyond. These are tax payer, and people who more than likely already have insurance through their job.

So it seems that no matter the crowd, no matter the achievements, Republicans & Conservatives alike just want to believe that Blacks are scammers, trying to get free things from the gov't and that's why they vote Democrat. On this board, the defenders come out and defend their ilk by denying that Republicans push that message or the ones that do are inconsequential nobodies. Wrong again.

Would any Conservatives like to take a stab at defending the face of the Republican party playing up the racist sentiments of good-for-nothing scamming Blacks, even when the crowd he's talking to are working, middle/upper class professionals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 10:21 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times
No. Republicans and conservatives recognize that the NAACP is not simply an organization for the advancment of people of color.

It is a liberal/progressive organization that seeks freestuff from the government... just like all other liberal/progressive organizations.

Black has nothing to do with this but you liberal have nothing but racism as an argument.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Think about this....

They boo'd him for saying he'd take away free stuff they won't even get for 2 more years.

What's going to happen if our country's financial situation gets to the point where we really do have to start cutting back on free stuff they're getting today ? Scary prospect eh ? Don't fool yourself into thinking austerity won't come to the US. We're just the last holdout.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:33 AM

798 posts, read 1,035,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Think about this....

They boo'd him for saying he'd take away free stuff they won't even get for 2 more years.

What's going to happen if our country's financial situation gets to the point where we really do have to start cutting back on free stuff they're getting today ? Scary prospect eh ? Don't fool yourself into thinking austerity won't come to the US. We're just the last holdout.
No they boo'd him because the perception of Reps is that they are going to screw over the poor. The Reps have "blamed" the poor in several different occasions. So by him saying that he was going to end all unnecessary programs was somewhat of a stab at the poorer of people.

He called the ACA "Obamacare." A more professional politician would refer to it as the "Affordable Care Act." By saying "Obamacare," he is insulting a politician that this group largely supports. That will get boos.

When austerity comes, I will be hiding in order to avoid all the riots that start happening...

Old 07-13-2012, 10:38 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,116,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Think about this....

Did you miss the part where I describe what a typical crowd like that is made up of? Black PROFESSIONALS. The only way they'd get "free" stuff taken away is if they qualified for the Medicaid expansion, which you need to be dirt poor to qualify for.

But thank you for proving my point. Republicans love to portray Blacks as lazy scammers, even if the group they're talking about are professionals. They love to accuse Blacks of voting to get free stuff, even if there isn't free stuff to be had.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:41 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Romney was at a fundraiser describing a previous speech to another crowd and how they were not receptive to his criticism of Obamacare. So who was this other crowd he's referring to that was unreceptive to the idea of gov't "freebies" being taken away? A group of drug-addled prostitutes? Welfare mothers? Chronically unemployed?

Nope. It was the NAACP convention. For those of you that have never been to an event like that, the vast majority of that crowd are Black, working professionals, and a lot who aren't are in school to reach that level and beyond. These are tax payer, and people who more than likely already have insurance through their job.

So it seems that no matter the crowd, no matter the achievements, Republicans & Conservatives alike just want to believe that Blacks are scammers, trying to get free things from the gov't and that's why they vote Democrat. On this board, the defenders come out and defend their ilk by denying that Republicans push that message or the ones that do are inconsequential nobodies. Wrong again.

Would any Conservatives like to take a stab at defending the face of the Republican party playing up the racist sentiments of good-for-nothing scamming Blacks, even when the crowd he's talking to are working, middle/upper class professionals?
can we see a transcript where he actually said what you claim, that we can check for ourselves?

Quote:
Romney: If you want more stuff from the government tell them to vote for the other guy -- more free stuff
TIA

Old 07-13-2012, 10:42 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times
Quote:
Did you miss the part where I describe what a typical crowd like that is made up of? Black PROFESSIONALS. The only way they'd get "free" stuff taken away is if they qualified for the Medicaid expansion, which you need to be dirt poor to qualify for.

But thank you for proving my point. Republicans love to portray Blacks as lazy scammers, even if the group they're talking about are professionals. They love to accuse Blacks of voting to get free stuff, even if there isn't free stuff to be had.
Again. The above is a lie.

Republicans love to portray liberal/progressives as the people who love to advocate for free stuff. the NAACP is the only liberal/progressive organization that Romney has spoken to. Republicans do this because it is the truth. That has nothing to do with race.

I guess when the only card you have left is the race card, you will play it even though it doesnt fit.
Thank you for proving to the undecided voters that your side has nothing left to offer.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:45 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,591,255 times
Another failed attempt at generating a racial issue. Here is the first time Romney used "vote for the other guy." This was in March and he said it to a white woman in a primarily white crowd. Apparently, if he treats everyone the same then he's a racist to some.

Romney: If you're looking for more free stuff, vote for the other guy - YouTube

Old 07-13-2012, 10:46 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:

You'd think people would learn from all the recent misinformation, lies, distortions and out right partisan maliciousness and manipulation and dishonest cut & paste of the news.

Quote:
Romney, full quote:

"By the way, I had the privelege of speaking today at the NAACP convention in Houston and I gave them the same speech I am giving you. I don't give different speeches to different audiences alright. I gave them the same speech. When I mentioned I am going to get rid of Obamacare they weren't happy, I didn't get the same response. That's ok, I want people to know what I stand for and if I don't stand for what they want, go vote for someone else, that's just fine.

But I hope people understand this, your friends who like Obamacare, you remind them of this, if they want more stuff from government tell them to go vote for the other guy-more free stuff. But don't forget nothing is really free. it has to paid for by people in the private sector creating goods and services, and if people want jobs more than they want free stuff from government, then they are going to have to get government to be smaller. And if they don't want to repeal Obamacare they are going to have to give me some other stuff they are thinking about cutting, but my list takes Obamacare off first and I have a lot of other things I am thinking of cutting."
Gov Romney « Gretawire

Old 07-13-2012, 10:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
What it comes down to these days is saying the other guy is going to take away your entitlements and/or rights.
And this works for both sides.

Biden told them the Repubs want to take away their Civil Rights. Conjures up images from the 60's right ?

Politics is one big smear party that's televised. Reality TV at its finest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies