Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 12:51 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,777,198 times

Advertisements

This book give accurate information about each state's laws pertaining to death and burial.

Final Rights
". . . covers state-by-state information needed by anybody who wishes to take charge of funeral arrangements for a loved one, wilth or without the help of a funeral director."

I do not work for this organization; I do have their book and have planned what will and will not happen after I depart this earth.

The material provided is invaluable for anyone who is interested in natural burial and who does not want to give thousands to the funeral industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 01:01 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,435,232 times
When I die don't pull that natural burial **** with me. I wan't it made very clear that I'm dead before I go under

Old 07-07-2012, 01:17 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,579,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Cemeteries and golf courses are a huge waste of perfectly good living space. As the world population continues to grow and the planet eventually runs out of space, the idea of green burials, cremation, or even burial at sea, may no longer be illegal or taboo but could end up becoming a necessity-

Green Burials | Reader's Digest
Yes, at first I thought the green burial sounded good, but it never really got off the ground. What it looks like to me, is a way for them to annex off large tracts of land for preservation against development, that is the real goal, the green corridors that will be deemed unihabitable, except for the dead. One of the fears for the CA one, Carmel something, was that visitors would track in a disease that harms oak trees into this burial ground. Plus, you really need this to be local. You don't want to be shipping bodies 100's of miles away to be buried.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Cremation, then throw the ashes to the wind and help the wildflowers grow...

So simple, yet you should see the rules for that. You're supposed to get a permit, permission from the owner of the land, if on water they designate how far off shore, and to report where it was dispersed etc etc.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The vaults are to prevent sink holes all over the cemeteries when the cheap, wooden caskets break down.
Right, the thing to know is that you don't have to buy theirs, depending on the individual cemetaries. Everything cemetaries and funeral homes charge for is inflated.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Call me crazy but I want to buried like those American Indians in the movies. Put my butt up on some stilts and led nature take its course. Why on stilts you might ask, because I would be seriously pissed off if when I die I had some sort of consciousness and had to know that someone was piling dirt on me or stuffing me in a furnace. It silly, and I know it but... there you have it.
Just make sure it's a burn day. Don't die in the summer time.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:24 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,508,429 times
Deceased people in my family weren't embalmed until the 1960s. Used to the family just washed the body bought a cheap coffin. My mom remembered as a child helping clean and dress her still born brother in the 1950s

Old 07-09-2012, 03:31 PM

5,787 posts, read 4,723,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I have always wondered the same thing. I just want to be put in the ground, with my blood and skin intact. I don't know why that's illegal. I bury my dogs on our property, don't know why I can't be too.
It's NOT illegal at all.

Several religions forbid embalming.

In the case of cremation, there is no law saying you must be embalmed first. In fact, you can be buried in the ground without embalming if that is your choice. Some States have rules concerning how quickly that must take place and/or if you can be viewed by the public without embalming, but you can do it.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Everything cemetaries and funeral homes charge for is inflated.

Ummmm...the mark-up on funeral merchandise is way less than that of many other industries (take clothing as an example).

Old 07-09-2012, 03:44 PM

I've worked in funeral homes over the years and have heard the public complain about this and that many many times before.

But no one ever asks the question of why funeral homes exist in the first place. The fact is that it is an industry driven by the customers, the public. If people's prerogatives changed to the point where funerals, viewings, and funeral homes were no longer wanted, they would eventually all go out of business. But the truth is that there are plenty of people who see the value of the funeral process and want it.

I was once working at a funeral home and a man with his wife came up to me and began telling me how barbaric he thought the whole things was. I listened quietly while he ranted and raved about how when he died he wanted to be put in a plastic bag and left at the curb for the garbage collector to take him away. I just smiled and said...."sure, we can do that! And I suppose you want us to do the same thing with your wife?". His wife glared at him for a few moments and then he said: "OK....I get your point".

Funerals are NOT for the DEAD...they are for the living that you leave behind. There are loads of studies done that prove the psychological benefits of funerals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies