Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 10:56 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,478,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Mercifly no, never even visited. I lived Western NY state for the first 33 years of my life. A birth defect that I finally corrected.
So... you really know nothing about the place, have never even been there, and yet harbor some sort of an ingrained dislike for it So that makes your opinion on the town and the kinds of people living there is credible...how, exactly?

Old 06-20-2012, 11:00 PM

39,906 posts, read 26,604,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I wonder if the problem is the culture itself or your ability to comprehend?
Could be either. I'm not familiar with the need to have someone tell me how to cook my food. What size pop I can buy. What inanimate objects I can own or carry. To bend over and grab my ankles whenever a LEO has a desire to frisk me. To spend a great deal of money for the privilage of offering a ride in my vehicle for a fee. To pay among the highest tax rates in the country. What other rules, regulations and restrictions do NYC residents tolerate that the rest of the country does not?

Old 06-20-2012, 11:04 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,514,463 times
NYC is not just one culture, it's a myriad of cultures. One can basically travel the world in the course of a day without leaving NYC. Enjoying such dense diversity requires stricter regulation of certain things. That's why a city with people literally stacked on top of one another runs so well. If you think NYCers are pansies, just get on the train at any hour, you'll find old jewish ladies ready to kick your ass, thug crossdressers, nuns and everything you could imagine. NYCers by in large choose to live their lives freely without fear and enjoy the diversity that's inherent in the city not hold up in some midwest basement with an arenal of weapons and sardines waiting for the brown shirts to come.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:07 PM

39,906 posts, read 26,604,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
NYC is not just one culture, it's a myriad of cultures. One can basically travel the world in the course of a day without leaving NYC. Enjoying such dense diversity requires stricter regulation of certain things. That's why a city with people literally stacked on top of one another runs so well. If you think NYCers are pansies, just get on the train at any hour, you'll find old jewish ladies ready to kick your ass, thug crossdressers, nuns and everything you could imagine. NYCers by in large choose to live their lives freely without fear and enjoy the diversity that's inherent in the city not hold up in some midwest basement with an arenal of weapons and sardines waiting for the brown shirts to come.
If that were true, why would these same people put up with some of these things? I have trouble seeing stop and frisk being accepted anywhere else. The soda limitation...why do these strong, confident people need the city to tell them what size dammed pop to drink? What you state about different cultures and the degree of confidence I infer about NYC residents...doesn't seem compatable with those things.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:11 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,514,463 times
Quote:
If that were true, why would these same people put up with some of these things? I have trouble seeing stop and frisk being accepted anywhere else. The soda limitation...why do these strong, confident people need the city to tell them what size dammed pop to drink?
Wow, you have no idea how many protests are going on in regards to stop and frisk. They are going on throughout the city. Laws just don't change magically overnight. What soda limitation? I can go buy 50, 2 liters right now, yes right now at 1:10am EST in NYC because it's NYC. The only people concerned about soda gate are people not from NY. New Yorkers have lives to enjoy.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:11 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,164,586 times
Quote:
Could be either. I'm not familiar with the need to have someone tell me how to cook my food. What size pop I can buy. What inanimate objects I can own or carry. To bend over and grab my ankles whenever a LEO has a desire to frisk me. To spend a great deal of money for the privilage of offering a ride in my vehicle for a fee. To pay among the highest tax rates in the country. What other rules, regulations and restrictions do NYC residents tolerate that the rest of the country does not?
Wrong again. There is not a single regulation about how you cook your own food. Again there is not a single regulation about how much soda you buy.

There are regulations about what inanimate objects you can own and carry everywhere. Stop and frisk is being protested and taken care of through the legal channels designed to handle such overreach. Taxis and limosines are regulated almost everywhere.

Why do you have such a problem with rules, and authority? Do you have behaviorial problems? Are you too inconsiderate of your neighbors to sacrifice a little personal gluttony to make the community more pleasant?

Again, you really have no clue what you are talking about since you are spouting off about a place you have never stepped foot in-- and a place, I suspect, you don't have the sophisitication to succeed in.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:14 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,478,694 times
Quote:
If that were true, why would these same people put up with some of these things? I have trouble seeing stop and frisk being accepted anywhere else. The soda limitation...why do these strong, confident people need the city to tell them what size dammed pop to drink? What you state about different cultures and the degree of confidence I infer about NYC residents...doesn't seem compatable with those things.
Psst.. The proposed soda ban is generally unpopular among NYCers.

Oh, never mind... it's easier for your conservative-against-liberal gotcha talking points to pretend that they're all the exact same as the one guy you're envisioning in your head.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:34 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,175,193 times
Quote:
What is a soda limitation? I'd really love to know because I have no idea what you are talking about.

one 20-ounce soda cup - banned
two 16-ounce soda cups - not banned

What are the total ounces in two 16 ounce sodas? This is not a trick question.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:37 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,947,207 times
Quote:
OK, I was going to use a word other than pansie...but why get banned?

I always figured NYC residents were pretty, oh, self confident, abrasive, perhaps rude. Not the kind of people I'd expect to want to be told what to do or not do, when to do it and to be told to pay way to much to do so. I have trouble picturing Americans anywhere putting up with some of the things NYC residents do.

1) VERY restrictive firearms ownership laws, and a virtual ban on self defense carry.
2) A government that will tell then what kind of oil then must cook their food in.
3) A government that will tell them what size soft drinks to buy
4) Willingness to put up with random "stop and frisk" searches at the whim of LE
5) Highly regulated and restricted businesses, leading to criminally high costs (taxi anyone?)

Why do people there put up with this stuff? Do you check your gonads at the border when you move to NYC?
Yes, go to the South Bronx and tell them they are that other word for "pansies". You should have no fear of doing such since they are so wimpy in your mind.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:41 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,009,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
What is a soda limitation? I'd really love to know because I have no idea what you are talking about.

one 20-ounce soda cup - banned
two 16-ounce soda cups - not banned

What are the total ounces in two 16 ounce sodas? This is not a trick question.
Don't you know? You'll a card that is similar to MetroCard - except it's your Soda-Allowance Card which tracks how much Soda you bought, where you bought it, and when you bought it. You are then to complete an online questionnaire at the end of each week where you explain why you felt the need to purchase soda.

At least that's how Fox seemed to describe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.