Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 07:52 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,412,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
We’re not racist they tell us. Talking about racism keeps racism alive they say. Thank god for the Huffington Post!

Steve Smith, White Supremacist, Elected To Republican Party Committee In Pennsylvania County
Democrats supported a wizard in the KKK for years, decades. What's this over emphasis on racism? Get a job and a life things will take care of themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 08:04 AM

30,324 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
How many black kids do you know that ice skate??? I can count the ones I know on no hands and feet.....
I'm old friends with a certain African-American woman who brought home an Olympic medal in figure skating. Let's see how your Olympic trivia is, if you can guess her name - LOL.

Anyway, you can't compare sports to a corporate environment... and we can't change the fact that certain ethnic groups excel at certain sports. I don't think any sports fans here want affirmative action on the field/rink, but in other settings I think it's a good idea to encourage diversity (when qualifications are equal).

Old 06-04-2012, 08:10 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I happen to be old friends with a certain African-American woman who brought home an Olympic medal in figure skating. Let's see how your Olympic trivia is, if you can guess her name - LOL.

Anyway, you can't compare sports to a corporate environment... and we can't change the fact that certain ethnic groups excel at certain sports. I don't think any sports fans here want affirmative action on the field/rink, but in an office I think it's a good idea to encourage diversity (when all other factors are equal).
I'm not even going to cheat and use google, lol. But of course there are exceptions to every rule. And in this instance, an extreme exception. Sure, there are even black kids who fence. *I* have never seen one. I bump into a black kid who skateboards everyday now. 25 years ago you'd have more likely bumped into chupacabra.

I will give you credit though, at least you ACKNOWLEDGE that certain ethnicities (and even more specifically, race) excel at athletics. A few others in here choose to dance around it because once they step on that limb they open themselves up to a huge double standard.

In a corporate environment, it may be IDEAL to strive for diversity when all other factors are equal. But ideology and practicality often bang heads. It is VERY rare when "all factors are equal".

Old 06-04-2012, 05:17 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,130,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Which meant nobody cared enough to vote. Again, it's a NON ISSUE. 30% of the people are repubs and nobody cared enough to vote but 1 person? And a write in at that?

People need to quit kvetching about this, it happened because nobody cared. MAYBE, now they will.
Yes what you’re saying makes since but unfortunately things don’t work that way in real life. Since the Republicans continually demand that Democrats disassociate themselves with far left nut jobs and all twenty black panthers members it’s only fare to ask the same. They made a big stink about Rev Wright and all he implied was that if America doesn’t change its ways roasters will come home to nest.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
You are right, but most people are unaware that they are most affected by LOCAL elections. The President is important, but lets face it, with all the bickering between congress and president, the elections that MOST affect us are the ones that are local to us.
Agreed. I even vote in our local Little League.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
But there is nothing preconceived about it....this country is built off of racial constructs. And it goes against everybody. Understanding what this country was built upon is one thing. But being bludgeoned by it is another.

Just as you would be skeptical of anybody who wants "the race card to go away"... I am skeptical of anybody who denies that "white guilt" is a totally and overwhelmingly abused tool. It is a MAJOR dynamic in this country.

And the "poor white trash" of this country is a total afterthought.

So yea, if you want to talk against the "powers that be" do it all inclusively or anything you say is mud IMO.
I honestly don’t think discussions about race are a common anomaly. These conversations rarely happen and when the do conservations and others cry out they’re being bludgeoned. For example Eric Holder mentioned my people in a reply to a rhetorical question and the right wing media had a field day with it. Obama made a speech once about race and conservatives thought the world was going to end. You can’t move forward with fairness and equality and to get on that track requires analysis & solutions.

You also mention white guilt. It’s funny you say that because I rarely hear any guilt from my white friends. I seem to only hear about white guilt through academia and conservative agendas. The overwhelming majority of Americans want to do what’s right but there is still a large vocal minority that prefers the America of the 50s and 60s.

Quote:
Now that logic is a very slippery slope...I see where you're going with it. One doesn't say "Well, we need more diversity in professional sports...let's cultivate these white kids more"

No...it doesn't work like that.

There is simply a hiearchy an individual operates within...on their own merit. So where one invests their time is where one will have the best chances to excel at.

Not to say we are all equal.. We are not. To say humans are all drawn on the same blank slate, with the same exact paint in the same ratios is not only ignorant but it is insanely illogical. That way of thinking needs to join up with the tooth fairy ASAP. It's intellecutally dishonest.

But that being said...the kid who spends the lion share of his development playing ball will have a significant advantage over the kid who spends more of his times doing....other things.
My response to this is that most sports are meant for entertainment so there are rarely serious discussions about athletic diversity; maybe in ownership and coaching but that’s it. When it comes to cultivation I think a more regional approach is taken then the ethnic approach. For example, Indiana cultivates all kinds of white athletes.

Quote:
This is really nothing more than pure conjecture. It isn't a cut and dry process like in professional sports, granted. But there are way too many variables to just say "Hey, he hired him because he looks like him"...

What do the white people who are equally or more qualified and were excluded from consideration have to whine about? lol
Professional qualifications are a lot trickier to discuss. There are many variables ranging from industry to access to mentors to education. I have never lobbied for under qualified minorities to replace qualified whites but I did say my stance is that if the company is homogenous and you have two candidates of equal or similar qualifications diversity should be sot after. It’s not a question about exclusion but one of inclusion. One day things will be right in America and programs or policies like this won’t be needed but that day is not today.

Last edited by SHABAZZ310; 06-04-2012 at 06:17 PM..

Old 06-04-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
How many black kids do you know that ice skate??? I can count the ones I know on no hands and feet.....
It’s funny you mention that because as a kid I used to ice skate. It was actually very fun. I had to travel to do it because there isn’t to many ice skating areas in sunny Southern California.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Democrats supported a wizard in the KKK for years, decades. What's this over emphasis on racism? Get a job and a life things will take care of themselves.
I disagree with you. Problems don’t fix themselves. If you want to put an end to evil you confront it you don’t turn your back and hope it goes away.

Last edited by SHABAZZ310; 06-04-2012 at 06:15 PM..

Old 06-04-2012, 05:59 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,551 times
Quote:
It’s funny you mention that because as a kid I used to ice skate. It was actually very fun. I had to travel to do it because there isn’t to many ice skating areas in sunny Southern California.

Well, let me retract my comment...partially.

Recreationally, I have seen many black folks ice skating...

And to be fair...I can count the kids I knew that played competitive ice hockey and skated regularly, in my life, on one hand. And that goes for white or black and everything in between. I grew up in a small hood..so maybe that had something to do with it.. *shrugs*

It's just a sport where the resources are not readily accessible like a basketball and a hoop would be...But I digress.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:09 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,082,296 times
Quote:
Yes I know. In my opinion that should have disqualified him. Just like felons can't own weapons, ex-white supremacist shouldn't be able to run for office. But West Virginia is a crazy bunch. I just got finished watching the rest of Hatfield's vs. McCoy's.
You must have passed out watching Gone With The Wind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies