Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 01:24 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
I do anything I can find. As a Carpenter Contractor things have been bad for years.I am lowered to working as a handyman now. No unemployment for me,no help anywhere. Which is good in a way as I am forced to survive without gov handouts and can Vote without the promise of free food and housing.I am not the last real American just one of them. And God bless the ones who came before us and worked to give me this opportunity to live here
You have earned my respect... Thank you..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Well you can kiss my ass. I'm not flipping your burgers, or rolling your burrito, or cleaning your toilet.
Then sit on the couch and don't ***** about it what you don't have.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:12 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,315,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I recently met up with a friend from high school (we graduated in the 90s) in my hometown. He told me he never thought that he would have to move back in with his parents. Well, that's apparently what some have to do now.

I've noticed that a lot of the younger generation are leaning on what they're parents were able to accumulate when times were better for simple survival.
Yes and yes!

Graduated in '96 and know people from my year and others that are back home in their parents house.

Also, of the people I know who have married and bought homes a lot got help from their parents. One guy pretty much got a small but nice house practically bought for him and others "get help" with bills/mortgage payments. The difference between the former and the later is sometimes a function of how well the parents did when times were good.

Times are not good. A friend of mine that's a few years older than me has a part time job in a hoagie(Philly)/sub/sandwitch shop. And lives with relatives in their family's old home.

Heck I could tell you a ton of stuff. I live right outside Philly close to the Northeast section of the city. Just to give you an idea where I'm coming from but I have neither the time or inclination right now.

Suffice it to say I've seen what you're talking about.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:17 AM

If you want a job, move to North Dakota and work in the oil fields. There are plenty of jobs there just waiting to be filled that will start you out well above scale. All you need are a hardhat, steel toed boots, and a willingness to work and get your hands dirty. Sometimes you do what you have to do to survive.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:26 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,315,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Just asking... how possible is it for a white (or black) person who wants to wear a funny hat and sell taco's to actually do that? I mean... you manage a restaurant and one of your waitresses quits... every one of your 12 waitstaff is hispanic... what are the chances that any of them are going to recommend you... I worked at a college... I couldn't get a cleaning gig there if my life depended on it. I would have a better chance getting a job as an adjunct professor than as a janitor. If it gets any deeper in this thread we are going to need scuba equipment. America is broken and the right wing know it. For the moment, only the most vulnerable are affected. The one's talking trash here are in their 30's, male and white. Things will line up their way for a little while yet. Enjoy it while you can.

H
It already lined up for the poorer , working class ones who don't have a marketable degree or whose union is low on work or have a H.S. degree with no trade in carpentry, electrician, plumber, roofer etc...

I know guys that age who do HVAC. They work but they struggle. One of the unions, maybe electricians around here told their members they don't expect to have more work unti 2013. There's more but you get the gist.

I think hardly anyone in the younger generation 20's to 30's will make it comfortably or to retirement unscathed except probably the lucky or elite. But that's assuming we even have to worry about it given that economic collapse and probably WWIII or bioweapon population reduction or all 3 or 2 of 3 seem to loom.

Heck make that people in their 40's for that matter too. Early 40's anyway.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:31 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,334,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
He would have to move your head out of the way..
Ooo burn.

Regarding your first post, I actually sit on my couch very seldomly. I am attending another job fair tomorrow. I'll find a job in due time. I also plan on achieving some certifications if I don't find employment soon.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:15 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,016,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
If you want a job, move to North Dakota and work in the oil fields. There are plenty of jobs there just waiting to be filled that will start you out well above scale. All you need are a hardhat, steel toed boots, and a willingness to work and get your hands dirty. Sometimes you do what you have to do to survive.
How's the food I've had blackened Walleye there, it was fantastic.
Yep, sometimes you have to do what you have to do

Old 05-09-2012, 07:46 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,595,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
ok, I follow you now. My previous post was misinterpreted.
I lay most of the blame on both parties of congress for putting their own self-interests ahead of the country.
Exactly.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:54 AM

25,841 posts, read 16,519,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Hey no foul it just aint the origional topic I responded to. love McFly whatever that means and quit smacking your head
I can see you are the poster child of what the GOP wants as a working class of this country.

Please continue to post. Thanks

Old 05-09-2012, 08:07 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,944,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians
ok, I follow you now. My previous post was misinterpreted.
I lay most of the blame on both parties of congress for putting their own self-interests ahead of the country.
That's a cop-out.

Many still like to pretend that we're having something resembling a rational national debate on trying to solve the nation's problems, with members of both parties saying reasonable things given their views about how policy works. And when you find politicians doing things not at all reasonable, there's a lot of false equivalence -- "both sides do it," even if you only have actual examples from one side.

Taxes are a prime example. Most in the GOP have signed pledges stating that they will never raise taxes for any reason. The nation could go to war and they wouldn't raise taxes. Sensible economists say that any ration plan to heal the nation's fiscal problems requires additional taxes. Yet, the GOP has its heals dug in.

What we find is that the Dems put forth an agenda that helps middle and lower income people while the policies of the GOP are designed only to help the wealthy. The Dems last year tried to extend unemployment benefits -- something that has always been done routinely. The GOP held that plan hostage in order to extend the Bush tax-cuts for the rich. One side is acting reasonably while the other side is not. That's not equivalence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies