Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 09:31 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,758,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesj View Post
What this awful tragedy tells me (regardless of Zimmerman getting off or not) is that non-white (particularly black) life has no value at all in America.

As a black person, I believe integration is a decades long failed experiment. Blacks and non-blacks simply can't coexist together. No matter how hard we try, too much damage has been done. Let's really make it separate, but equal this time without the violence and provocation. I'll stay on my side of the fence, and you stay on the other. before integration, people of African descent really were prospering economically instead of being dependent on whites for everything (examples: Black Wall Street, The Ville, etc.).
I don't really see it that way -- but then again I live near a military base and Americans are pretty integrated as far as the military.

As much as some people put down the military, the military can bring people up to middle class in pretty short order. Where I live, blacks are the most middle class of all groups -- but most came here through the military.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Actually, I think that "we" convinced ourselves (pre-Civil Rights movement) that what White America had was better than what we had by all measures. We closed down our businesses to go work for theirs and we stopped shopping/patronizing our businesses and patronized theirs....and I believe that these were the biggest mistakes and side effects of the Civil Rights movement.

I don't think that it is necessary for us to separate but "we" need to go back to the basics. We need to go back to respecting "our" contributions and stop being beholden to the "everything White is better" mentality.
That's true.

Most blacks have moved into the middle class, most graduate from college and most are working. Many moved away from all-black neighborhoods and so have integrated.

That's actually created worse problems for those left behind. Now they've lost their example types, but also there is less of a civil rights movement now that the average black is integrated and doesn't really care so much about the problems of those in the inner cities.

Even with things like hair care products, black businesses once filled that niche but the mainstream businesses saw there was money in that and put them out of business.

There are pros and cons with integration, but maybe segregation is worse. Like with the Indians, if they give up their reservations, they will also give up what's left of their culture.

Probably integration is where most of the people need to be, then we're just plain Americans.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:01 AM

29,608 posts, read 16,586,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
You're getting all this from one over hyped media story in Central Florida?

You should do a trial run on segregating yourself. Move to Detroit it's 90% Black and run by Blacks. Let us know how it works out for you.
Detroit is full of poverty, it has nothing to do with race. Poor white areas have the same problems as Detroit.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:33 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,779,784 times
AA requires that the FED workforce mirror the racial make up of the community in which it exists

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
We all know that.
Blacks are about 10% of the population. Even if they ONLY want to work with blacks that is about 40 million people in the United States.

People of all color with a lot of drive who come here legally do real well. The out of America blacks don't suffer so much great society or drug destruction in their families.
There is great strength in not using drugs or getting stuck on welfare programs or government jobs IMO.

I'd love to know the percentage of blacks addicted to government jobs as a percentage of all blacks. Anyone have that statistic?
They should be leading the way for all in the private sector. They can do anything just like anyone else IMO.

YES THEY CAN.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,570,733 times
Forced integration worked but it came with a price.
And we keep lowering standards, loosening requirements, giving exceptions and promote discrimination.

So we really haven't achieved that goal where everyone is truly considered "equal".

Old 07-13-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Detroit is full of poverty, it has nothing to do with race. Poor white areas have the same problems as Detroit.
Not really. Poor white areas tend to be rural -- just like poor black rural areas do not have the same problems as Detroit and Chicago. The problem is lack of jobs --- and also the loss of a work ethic. The blacks in Detroit got there because their ancestors came up for jobs because at one time Detroit had plenty of jobs. Clinton knew when he pushed the NAFTA deal through what it would do to Detroit. He didn't give a damn.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:11 PM

47,000 posts, read 26,056,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesj View Post
What this awful tragedy tells me (regardless of Zimmerman getting off or not) is that non-white (particularly black) life has no value at all in America.

As a black person, I believe integration is a decades long failed experiment. Blacks and non-blacks simply can't coexist together. No matter how hard we try, too much damage has been done. Let's really make it separate, but equal this time without the violence and provocation. I'll stay on my side of the fence, and you stay on the other. before integration, people of African descent really were prospering economically instead of being dependent on whites for everything (examples: Black Wall Street, The Ville, etc.).
<shrug> My engineers are African-American and Asian, respectively. I'm as Caucasian as it gets. Going up the ladder, my boss is Asian, hers is African-American, then Caucasian, Asian, and Caucasian again. Seems to me it works quite well.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:21 PM

63,004 posts, read 29,216,871 times
I don't think it is a clash of races but it is a clash of cultures for most people.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:57 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,769,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I don't think it is a clash of races but it is a clash of cultures for most people.
Culture is produced by people.

You never see any black society that values math skills.
You never see any Asian society that values sports.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:17 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,030,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Culture is produced by people.

You never see any black society that values math skills.
You never see any Asian society that values sports.
Ever heard of Yao Ming? He was worshipped. Same with Ichiro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies