Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 03:12 PM

4,552 posts, read 12,451,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
LOL! Apparently you don't know much about Indian politics. They make Obama look like a saint.
Actually, I have some knowledge of Indian politics. I agree they aren't crackpot-free, but they usually confine their crackpots to state level politics. I don't recall any Indian prime ministers who were crackpots.

But I think we probably agree that for North Korea, being a crackpot seems to be the minimum requirement. And the more pots you can crack, the higher you rise in the hierarchy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 03:48 AM

321 posts, read 535,543 times
Racing to launch ballistic missles as a test or for real is all wrong where the leaders of the world are talking world peace before it ultimately destroy the human race.

The monies for the launch should be used for the people where hunger is a problem and poverty in the rural or urban slum of India. But it is no brainer that somebody actually makes monies or get the kicks or kickback from this ball game showing of mights.

The threat of invasions, threat of WMD, threats of past, present and future are in the imaginary minds and hidden agenda of politicians who are out to make the world a frightening place to live.

Just take a look at this - the leaked conversation of US president with the arch enemy for years - Open Mic Captures Conversation Between Obama, Russia President (http://www.kktv.com/elections/headlines/Open_Mic_Captures_Conversation_Between_Obama_Russi a_President_144250195.html - broken link) and aint Iran was like the Cisco Kid song which goes - Cisco Kid was a friend of mine.......

There are no permannet enemies or friends in the political world and they would be lying at the same bed fellows, shaking hands and kissing and making up any differences between them.

Last edited by zinglicious; 04-20-2012 at 04:19 AM..

Old 04-20-2012, 08:20 AM

42,410 posts, read 87,265,011 times
It is pretty generally conceded by most knowledgeable observers that the next hostile nuclear detonation will involve the use of purloined weaponry, outside the control of a national government. Who do you think the rogues will steal their nuclear weapon from --- USA, or North Korea? So, then, whose nuclear attack research and development represents a danger to humanity?

Old 04-20-2012, 08:24 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,833,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglicious View Post
North Korea wanna to race but failed to jump start while India just completed the race. India tests nuke-capable missile able to hit China - Yahoo! News
Ironic, while there is no fear or condemnation over India arms race despite its population of huge internal social and welfare problems, there are much objections over to the build up arms race in North Korea.
Apart from the crazy leadership and system, the other problem with North Korea is that they need money bad and thus might sell their weapon technology to other dubious regimes.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:20 AM

11,158 posts, read 29,409,286 times
India was part of the allied forces in WW1 annd WW2 and in WW2 they played a huge trole in north Africa to push back the Germans and Italian forces and they still are in the commonwealth of nations along with Canada, Australia and we are allies..

In fact we really should be making stronger ties with India as they are the only country that is a huge ally in helping in the fighting of pakistan terroist groups and have beat pakistan in a 3 wars and also keep China in check...

The land area of the Commonwealth nations is about 31,500,000 km2 (12,200,000 sq mi), or about 21% of the total world land area. The three largest Commonwealth nations by area are Canada at 10,000,000 km2 (3,900,000 sq mi), Australia at 7,700,000 km2 (3,000,000 sq mi), and India at 3,300,000 km2 (1,300,000 sq mi).

The Commonwealth members have a combined gross domestic product of over $10 trillion, 50% of which is accounted for by the three largest economies: the United Kingdom ($2.2 trillion), India ($1.7 trillion), and Canada ($1.5 trillion)

I mean we really should be trying to become stronger allies with india and build up stronger trade ties and agreements with them..we reallly dropped the ball on that.

India maintains a "no first use" nuclear policy and is developing a nuclear triad capability as a part of its "minimum credible deterrence" doctrine.It is developing a ballistic missile defence shield and, in collaboration with Russia, a fifth-generation fighter jet.

Other indigenous military projects involve the design and implementation of Vikrant-class aircraft carriers and Arihant-class nuclear submarines.

Since the end of the Cold War, India has increased its economic, strategic, and military cooperation with the United States and the European Union.In 2008, a civilian nuclear agreement was signed between India and the United States.

Although India possessed nuclear weapons at the time and was not party to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, it received waivers from the International Atomic Energy Agency and the Nuclear Suppliers Group, ending earlier restrictions on India's nuclear technology and commerce. As a consequence, India became the sixth de facto nuclear weapons state.

] India subsequently signed cooperation agreements involving civilian nuclear energy with Russia, France, the United Kingdom, and Canada.

So that is prety much why India is allowed to do missile test and NK is not and even Russia is fine with along with U.S./NATO... Only country that would be not happy is China but they are the ones the missile is a threat too but they have their own ICBM's so they can't say much about it.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:38 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,833,821 times
It's a bit sad though to think that developing countries are wasting so much money on an arms race while many civilians there are living in the dirt.
I wonder if humans will ever get beyond that aggressive mentality (I have the weapons, thus I take from you what I want) and the paranoia that comes with it...

Old 04-20-2012, 10:41 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,907,522 times
Quote:
North Korea wanna to race but failed to jump start while India just completed the race. India tests nuke-capable missile able to hit China - Yahoo! News
Ironic, while there is no fear or condemnation over India arms race despite its population of huge internal social and welfare problems, there are much objections over to the build up arms race in North Korea.
Perhaps because unlike Iran, who doesn't seem to counter back with a similar investigation against Israel, India will smartly point at China for already having the capability. Who would tell India that China is allowed but India isn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
Didn't India already have nukes?
Since 1974, I think 2-3 years after they put your favorite country (Pakistan) back in its place.

Quote:
Also, didn't they sell a bunch of stuff to Iran?
Well, I don't think India is running an alliance like North Korea, China and Pakistan did. Iranian nuclear program has been mostly handled by Russians, and the USA has also spent millions (based on a report in 2005 or so) towards that effect.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
India was part of the allied forces in WW1 annd WW2 and in WW2 they played a huge trole in north Africa to push back the Germans and Italian forces and they still are in the commonwealth of nations along with Canada, Australia and we are allies..

In fact we really should be making stronger ties with India as they are the only country that is a huge ally in helping in the fighting of pakistan terroist groups and have beat pakistan in a 3 wars and also keep China in check...

The land area of the Commonwealth nations is about 31,500,000 km2 (12,200,000 sq mi), or about 21% of the total world land area. The three largest Commonwealth nations by area are Canada at 10,000,000 km2 (3,900,000 sq mi), Australia at 7,700,000 km2 (3,000,000 sq mi), and India at 3,300,000 km2 (1,300,000 sq mi).

The Commonwealth members have a combined gross domestic product of over $10 trillion, 50% of which is accounted for by the three largest economies: the United Kingdom ($2.2 trillion), India ($1.7 trillion), and Canada ($1.5 trillion)

I mean we really should be trying to become stronger allies with india and build up stronger trade ties and agreements with them..we reallly dropped the ball on that.

India maintains a "no first use" nuclear policy and is developing a nuclear triad capability as a part of its "minimum credible deterrence" doctrine.It is developing a ballistic missile defence shield and, in collaboration with Russia, a fifth-generation fighter jet.

Other indigenous military projects involve the design and implementation of Vikrant-class aircraft carriers and Arihant-class nuclear submarines.

Since the end of the Cold War, India has increased its economic, strategic, and military cooperation with the United States and the European Union.In 2008, a civilian nuclear agreement was signed between India and the United States.

Although India possessed nuclear weapons at the time and was not party to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, it received waivers from the International Atomic Energy Agency and the Nuclear Suppliers Group, ending earlier restrictions on India's nuclear technology and commerce. As a consequence, India became the sixth de facto nuclear weapons state.

] India subsequently signed cooperation agreements involving civilian nuclear energy with Russia, France, the United Kingdom, and Canada.

So that is prety much why India is allowed to do missile test and NK is not and even Russia is fine with along with U.S./NATO... Only country that would be not happy is China but they are the ones the missile is a threat too but they have their own ICBM's so they can't say much about it.
This is news to me as back in my school days where I studied history, I was told by the teacher that India and Thailand were among the few nations which were not "involve in the war 2 " as and when Burma was invaded or in the case of Thailand, the Japanese troop were cycling through Thailand to invade Malaya & Singapore( under the British empire).

The soldiers who participated in the War 1 and Warl 2 were mecenaries from Punjab from India and Nepalese of Gurkha bravery.

So, what huge role are you referring to?

BTW, is there any Commonwealth at this time among the nations? The only understanding is having the Commonwealth Games which itself is losing the shine. Can't see any arm pact or economic pact among the nations which were ruled and branded under the the British Empire inj Commonwealth.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:14 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,907,522 times
Quote:
This is news to me as back in my school days where I studied history, I was told by the teacher that India and Thailand were among the few nations which were not "involve in the war 2 " as and when Burma was invaded or in the case of Thailand, the Japanese troop were cycling through Thailand to invade Malaya & Singapore( under the British empire).
:
The soldiers who participated in the War 1 and Warl 2 were mecenaries from Punjab from India and Nepalese of Gurkha bravery.

So, what huge role are you referring to?
A quick web search yielded this rather informative site on the subject: India and World War One

And this: BBC - History - World Wars: India and the Western Front

And one from WWII: BBC - History - World Wars: Colonies, Colonials and World War Two

There were some Indians (revolutionaries against the British) who allied with Japan and Germany, however.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:17 PM

Guess my History teacher was wrong in some ways or I was sleeping half way during the lesson....incidentally he is Indian. Thanks for the links, EinsteinGhost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies