Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 08:15 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Generally speaking government works with higher educations (bachelors or beyond) get paid less than comparably degreed private sector workers. The inverse is true for those who do not hold college degrees.
Actually that is incorrect. It is only above masters where the private sector peers earn more.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/01/31/news..._pay/index.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 08:22 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,402,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Actually that is incorrect. It is only above masters where the private sector peers earn more.

Current sea level rise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm not sure how that wiki link supports that; maybe I'm missing something?

However, with the stagnation and decline of the middle class we've seen in this country over the past decade, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that those without advanced degrees are still able to make a middle class wage in public sector jobs; unfortunately, good middle class jobs are becoming increasingly rare in the private sector.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
I'm not sure how that wiki link supports that; maybe I'm missing something?

However, with the stagnation and decline of the middle class we've seen in this country over the past decade, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that those without advanced degrees are still able to make a middle class wage in public sector jobs; unfortunately, good middle class jobs are becoming increasingly rare in the private sector.
Whoops wrong link.

Which federal worker job pays better: Government or private? - Jan. 31, 2012

Old 04-17-2012, 08:28 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
Looks like the private sector has some catching up to do. Get on it, negotiate better terms. Oh your bosses won't negotiate? Bet they negotiated their packages. Sucks you can't do the same. Maybe you could unionize. Oh wait, those are evil. Oh well, enjoy taking it in the shorts while you stand on principle.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:35 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Generally speaking government works with higher educations (bachelors or beyond) get paid less than comparably degreed private sector workers. The inverse is true for those who do not hold college degrees.
Yes, that does seem to be the case... I'm a skilled/master's-level government worker (at the county level), and my private sector equivalents make WAY more than I do. So don't hate, I work just as hard and for less money than those beloved private employees. And it's not like I took this job for the "perks" (yeah right), it's just the only type of job for which I'm qualified and could actually get hired. Would you rather I be on unemployment for 2 years?

Old 04-17-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Looks like the private sector has some catching up to do. Get on it, negotiate better terms. Oh your bosses won't negotiate? Bet they negotiated their packages. Sucks you can't do the same. Maybe you could unionize. Oh wait, those are evil. Oh well, enjoy taking it in the shorts while you stand on principle.
You are mistaken, it is the taxpayers who are taking it in the shorts. Over paying for labor. But why should we be surprised, this is the administration that brought us prostitutes for the secret service and obscene parties by the GSA.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes, that does seem to be the case... I'm a skilled/master's-level government worker myself (at the county level), and my private sector equivalents make WAY more than I do. So don't hate, I work just as hard and for less money than those beloved private employees. And it's not like I took this job for the "perks" (yeah right), it's just the only type of job for which I'm qualified and could actually get hired. Would you rather I be on unemployment for 2 years?
See above. It isn't the case, your personal situation notwithstanding.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:41 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes, that does seem to be the case... I'm a skilled/master's-level government worker (at the county level), and my private sector equivalents make WAY more than I do. So don't hate, I work just as hard and for less money than those beloved private employees. And it's not like I took this job for the "perks" (yeah right), it's just the only type of job for which I'm qualified and could actually get hired. Would you rather I be on unemployment for 2 years?
What would be the private sector equivalent of a county librarian? A Barnes and Noble Clerk? I imagine they make less than you.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:42 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,264 times
Quote:
You are mistaken, it is the taxpayers who are taking it in the shorts. Over paying for labor. But why should we be surprised, this is the administration that brought us prostitutes for the secret service and obscene parties by the GSA.
Ain't that the truth.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:45 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:

Which federal worker job pays better: Government or private? - Jan. 31, 2012
Ah, I guess that qualifies my statement above - as my job title (librarian) does require a Master's degree. And to give you an idea, public librarians around here generally make between $50-70K, whereas a corporate/private librarian usually STARTS at $70ish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies