Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 11:42 PM

700 posts, read 638,544 times

Advertisements

Now 17 states without the death penalty (After governor's signature). The state has only executed one person since 1976 but has 11 inmates currently on death row.

Connecticut lawmakers vote to repeal death penalty - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/connecticut-lawmakers-vote-repeal-death-penalty-031918635.html - broken link)

Quote:
By Mary Ellen Godin | Reuters – 1 hr 43 mins ago

The Connecticut House of Representatives gave final legislative approval on Wednesday to the repeal of the state's death penalty, moving it one step closer to becoming the fifth U.S. state in recent years to abandon capital punishment.

The 86-62 vote followed 10 hours of debate in the Democratic-controlled House and came after last week's Senate vote to abolish the death penalty. The bill now goes to Democratic Governor Dannel Malloy, who has vowed to sign it into law...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 08:29 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,373,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5trillion View Post
Now 17 states without the death penalty (After governor's signature). The state has only executed one person since 1976 but has 11 inmates currently on death row.

Connecticut lawmakers vote to repeal death penalty - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/connecticut-lawmakers-vote-repeal-death-penalty-031918635.html - broken link)
So the theory of evolution was correct after all!

Yea, America! Let's hope the others follow suit sooner rather than later!

Peace,
brian

Old 04-12-2012, 08:48 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,111,373 times

Old 04-12-2012, 09:03 AM

78,477 posts, read 60,679,264 times
While I don't support the application of the DP....having it on the books as a threat is invaluable.

So, the next time they catch a serial killer with some gals body....and he won't tell you where the 20 other bodies are to avoid the DP....stop and consider what has been accomplished.

A DP with currently higher burdens of proof to be on the table in cases of red-handed guilt results in guilty pleases to Life no parole. Then you don't have endless appeals, victims don't have to testify and so forth.

Thanksgiving Killer Pleads Guilty, Avoids Death Penalty in Plea Deal | NBC 6 Miami

Gary Ridgway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Google "man pleads guilty avoids death penalty" if you want tons of additional examples.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:10 AM

136 posts, read 85,647 times
That's their choice. I believe in the death penalty but feel it should be made sure without a doubt the person you are executing is guilty.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:10 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,141,522 times
I support a massive expansion of the national prison system. We should be putting more people behind bars. We should be creating harsher sentences for all crimes, both low-level and extremely dangerous and levels in between. We should be executing more people more rapidly.

This is one area that I have no problem spending taxpayer dollars. I believe in heavy-handed justice to the maximum extent. If you're not a criminal, then you have nothing to worry about. But if you are a criminal, your actions and your life should be thorougly held accountable.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:26 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,144,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I support a massive expansion of the national prison system. We should be putting more people behind bars. We should be creating harsher sentences for all crimes, both low-level and extremely dangerous and levels in between. We should be executing more people more rapidly.

This is one area that I have no problem spending taxpayer dollars. I believe in heavy-handed justice to the maximum extent. If you're not a criminal, then you have nothing to worry about. But if you are a criminal, your actions and your life should be thorougly held accountable.
I think you'd enjoy Iran.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:35 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,141,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I think you'd enjoy Iran.
No thanks. I'm just fine right here in the USA. And if I were in control, the streets of this country would be alot safer.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:48 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,287,940 times
So they repealed abortion, great?

I'm glad liberals are starting to think about sparing the innocent instead of the guilty.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:52 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,943,650 times
Death Penalty needs to be extended to Rapists, Child Molesters and three time felons. The appeal process needs to be shorter. 60 days max. Once it's done you are done the next day. Gun and bullet. Screw the "nice guy" stuff plus it's cheaper.

Death Row is a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies