Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has Obama hurt or helped race relations in the US?
Better ~ there is significantly more harmonious race relations 6 3.53%
No change 29 17.06%
Worse ~ Racial tensions have increased since Obama 127 74.71%
Other/None of the above 8 4.71%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 10:10 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,099,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Things will get worse as the demographic changes become more pronounced over the next 20 to 30 years. America is about to undergo the biggest demographic upheaval in its history.

What happens when the majority isn't the majority anymore?
The demographic shifts are going to hurt Blacks much worse than any group. White families will continue to pass their assets on to posterity, and Hispanics will almost double Blacks in numbers, and they will be even further marginalized. Keep in mind, the Hispanics do not harbor White Guilt. It's gonna be interesting, to say the least, I actually cannot wait.

Things will never change. It's why the White Spanairds are still running most of the Latin American countries. Generational wealth doesn't just disappear, and wealth disparities are expanding at record rates in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 10:14 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,866,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I believe it has gotten worse but not because of what Obama has done but because of what right-wing pundits have done...
Right wing pundits, leaders and politicians are simply helping uncover what was always there, while making every attempt to be politically correct (except for the insanely insane ones, of course). After all, these two images tell pretty much the same story, of an attitude, of "fear", or race relations over (in this case) 150 years:
Then
Now (http://www.flickr.com/photos/41640324@N03/3840152506/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Old 04-19-2012, 10:14 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,480,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Things will get worse as the demographic changes become more pronounced over the next 20 to 30 years. America is about to undergo the biggest demographic upheaval in its history.

What happens when the majority isn't the majority anymore?
I won't be living in the USA in 20 years.

I think the worst thing that has never happened is the "big discussion" about "race" when Obama went into office.

He should have opened a dialogue with the nation about prejudice and long held concepts about "race", but it never happened.

That would have paved the way for anthropology to be taught in primary/secondary schools.

I think when people see how similar and related we all are to each other, that will dispel the "race-thinking", and cause people to see each other as distant cousins rather than from totally different tribes. People today love tribe/group think. The United States being a melting pot isn't so true, because it's more like a "salad" where you have separate components and each has a different flavor. Living this way isn't going to help this country in the long run. This country flourished when we had a common nationality and were united by our unique "United States of America" identity. Today it would be difficult to find someone who truly respects and encourages having an "American" identity, because people love to claim their tribe, and their own historical ethnic identity. They don't feel a need to become "American" anymore, and the government doesn't require them to.

The country won't survive that way.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:21 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,379,329 times
I voted worse because all the closeted racists have come out foaming at the mouth over Obama.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:40 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,543,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Right wing pundits, leaders and politicians are simply helping uncover what was always there, while making every attempt to be politically correct (except for the insanely insane ones, of course). After all, these two images tell pretty much the same story, of an attitude, of "fear", or race relations over (in this case) 150 years:
Then
Now (http://www.flickr.com/photos/41640324@N03/3840152506/in/photostream/ - broken link)
Those pictures tell it all.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:45 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,543,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
The demographic shifts are going to hurt Blacks much worse than any group. White families will continue to pass their assets on to posterity, and Hispanics will almost double Blacks in numbers, and they will be even further marginalized. Keep in mind, the Hispanics do not harbor White Guilt. It's gonna be interesting, to say the least, I actually cannot wait.

Things will never change. It's why the White Spanairds are still running most of the Latin American countries. Generational wealth doesn't just disappear, and wealth disparities are expanding at record rates in this country.
Unfortunately I believe you are correct. Hispanics have a much stronger family structure then us. They as you said do not and should not feel any guilt for moving on past black America. If we just keep shaking to the beat and our kids keep pants on the ground and baby daddy mama drama at the rate it is we will be hurting in the next 20 to 30 years.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:49 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,482,438 times
I still think it's the same. The people that are racist before President Obama got elected are still racists. I'm pretty sure that him being elected didn't create new ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies