Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2012, 02:17 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,219,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
When I first read the thread I was thinking of the recent oral arguments before the Supreme Court weighing the constitutionality mandatory life sentences without parole for convicted juveniles, something I adamantly oppose. But like the Justices, I have questions about what the cut off age should be. I don't know how to weigh retribution vs the possibility of rehabilitation.
I am usually against the death penalty, but I honestly think some people can't be rehabilitated.

I'm all for pedophiles and rapists being put to death.

If Murder 1 can be proved beyond a reasonable doubt and/or the victim pleads guilty: death.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 02:26 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,473,280 times
Why wasn't he given the death penalty?

Old 03-22-2012, 02:29 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,244,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I am usually against the death penalty, but I honestly think some people can't be rehabilitated.

I'm all for pedophiles and rapists being put to death.

If Murder 1 can be proved beyond a reasonable doubt and/or the victim pleads guilty: death.
You are absolutely right that some people cannot be rehabilitated. Some people are just plain evil and the potential for rehabilitation is not there. Pedophilia is a sexual orientation that will always be present in that person's preferences. Serial rapists and pedophiles should be removed from society, one way or another.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:01 PM

78,923 posts, read 61,095,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Because he plead guilty and accepted the life sentence.
This means no expensive trial, no appeals and so on and so forth.

This is the poster child for why states SHOULD have a death penalty on the books....and then not have to use it.

A lot of people ignore the costs of all the trials for guys caught red-handed like this and then of course all their appeals.
If you have the DP and only use it when the guy won't accept life then it's a win all around.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:16 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,389,258 times
Default Two life sentences for teenager for murder/hate crime

Really? isn't one life sentence enough?

Old 03-22-2012, 03:23 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,962,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
I can't imagine there are many who have a problem with this sentence. I believe, even if you are young, if you do something this horrific, vile, and evil you don't deserve to ever live in society.

I'm not a fan of the "hate crime" notion as its used often for political purposes and really overused and abused. However, I have no sympathy or objection in this case

White Mississippi teen gets life sentence in black man's death - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/white-mississippi-teen-gets-life-sentence-black-mans-232536717.html - broken link)

Its unimaginable how people can be this hateful and evil, especially as a teen.
"overused and abused"?

Mississippi passed a law allowing for sentencing enhancement based on the actual or perceived race, color, ancestry, ethnicity, religion, national origin or gender of a victim of a crime in 1994. So far, it's been used twice.
99-19-301. Penalties subject to enhancement.

Once every nine years is overuse and abuse of a law?

Old 03-22-2012, 03:31 PM

14,916 posts, read 13,135,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It probably has something to do with this letter that the victim's sister wrote to the DA (note to mods, this is a public document, so there's not copyright issue with posting it).

http://blogs.clarionledger.com/jmitc...ung-letter.pdf

"I’m writing on behalf of my brother’s family - his mother, his two brothers, and myself. We ask that you not seek the death penalty for anyone involved in James’ murder.

Those responsible for James’ death not only ended the life of a talented and wonderful man. They also have caused our family unspeakable pain and grief. But our loss will not be lessened by the state taking the life of another. As Coretta Scott King stated in explaining her opposition to the death penalty, “An evil deed is not redeemed by an evil deed of retaliation. Justice is never advanced in the taking of human life.”

Our opposition to the death penalty is deeply rooted in our religious faith, a faith that was central in James’ life as well. Our Savior Jesus Christ rejected the old way of an eye for an eye and taught us instead to turn the other cheek. He died that we might have everlasting life and, in doing so, asked that the lives of the two common criminals nailed to the crosses beside him be spared. We can do no less.

We also oppose the death penalty because it historically has been used in Mississippi and the South primarily against people of color for killing whites. Executing James’ killers will not help to balance the scales. But sparing them may help to spark a dialogue that one day will lead to the elimination of capital punishment.

We thank you and the United States Department of Justice for your investigations, and we offer our full support and cooperation. Those responsible for James’ death deserve to be punished for their criminal acts and we want them punished to the fullest extent of the law. We hope that the criminal prosecutions will send a strong and clear message to those with hate in their hearts. We simply ask that that message be tempered with the love of our Savior.

We also thank those across the nation who have reached out to our family with their prayers and words of comfort and love. We have established the James C. Anderson Foundation for Racial Tolerance to help build bridges between the races. We appeal to men and women of goodwill to join hands with our family in launching a renewed movement of reconciliation, acceptance and hope.

We pray the hand of God will guide you."

Old 03-22-2012, 03:48 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,150,282 times
Quote:
Anderson's family members...asked prosecutors not to seek the death penalty for Dedmon because they oppose capital punishment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Would you send your own son/daughter to death???
The ability to read for comprehension is fundamental when attempting to engage in an intelligent discussion.

Deryl Dedmon, 19, received two concurrent life sentences for the racially motivated murder of 49-year-old James Craig Anderson

Old 03-22-2012, 03:50 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,927,645 times
Quote:
The ability to read for comprehension is fundamental when attempting to engage in an intelligent discussion.

Deryl Dedmon, 19, received two concurrent life sentences for the racially motivated murder of 49-year-old James Craig Anderson
I stand corrected. It happens.

*hands you the feather for your cap*

Old 03-22-2012, 03:51 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,150,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Those responsible for James’ death not only ended the life of a talented and wonderful man. They also have caused our family unspeakable pain and grief. But our loss will not be lessened by the state taking the life of another. As Coretta Scott King stated in explaining her opposition to the death penalty, “An evil deed is not redeemed by an evil deed of retaliation. Justice is never advanced in the taking of human life.”

Our opposition to the death penalty is deeply rooted in our religious faith, a faith that was central in James’ life as well. Our Savior Jesus Christ rejected the old way of an eye for an eye and taught us instead to turn the other cheek. He died that we might have everlasting life and, in doing so, asked that the lives of the two common criminals nailed to the crosses beside him be spared. We can do no less.
Wow, real Christians really do exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies