Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you do if you are the victim in this video?
Walk out at the beginning when threatened. 9 50.00%
Fight hand to hand 4 22.22%
Draw handgun after being struck and shoot if aggression continues 5 27.78%
Do nothing, take the beating as in the video. 0 0%
I do not know or not qualified to answer 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 07:15 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times

Advertisements

You are the victim and are legally armed with a concealed handgun. This is in Florida.

What do you do? Shoot? Do not shoot? What?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/bro...pulsenews'

Florida statute:
"However, a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat if:

(1) He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony;..."

Last edited by Felix C; 03-21-2012 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: added Florida statute
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 07:22 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
Bullies usually don't like to be hit back, and the fact is i know how to actually throw a punch much to the pain of the few people that have laid their hands on me. I mean he wasn't fighting apollo creed for god's sakes.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:32 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,840 times
I can't answer the poll because I don't know the reason behind the victim being in the store. Let's say he's there to pay for gas that he has pumped or needs to pump. I stay in line and say absolutely nothing to the jerk in front of me.

If he still escalates to the point of violence (the first punch), then I draw and eliminate the threat. Eliminating the threat in this case would probably be nothing more than a draw.

If I'm in there to get a drink, then I just leave and go to the next store.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:34 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I can't answer the poll because I don't know the reason behind the victim being in the store. Let's say he's there to pay for gas that he has pumped or needs to pump. I stay in line and say absolutely nothing to the jerk in front of me.

If he still escalates to the point of violence (the first punch), then I draw and eliminate the threat. Eliminating the threat in this case would probably be nothing more than a draw.

If I'm in there to get a drink, then I just leave and go to the next store.
And in this case you would not only be arrested but lose your concealed carry permit

Old 03-21-2012, 07:43 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
And in this case you would not only be arrested but lose your concealed carry permit
Why? Should I stand back and take the beating? Drawing my weapon only after violence is directed at me is completely legitimate in this situation. I'm not as familiar with FL law as I am with MS law but here I would not be arrested.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:44 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,407,894 times
That bully obviously saw someone he could bully. That may not have been his response if the guy standing behind him was 6 foot 4 and full of muscle (yes, I stole that from "The Land Down Under"). Bullies are that way. So, how it would have went down (in this scenario) could be a number of different ways, depending on the person. Me? If he really thought he could take me, I would make him try to prove it - outside. Inside, you may be liable for anything damaged. Take your night in the klink, pay your fine - but don't let people like this think they can get away with such nonsense.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:06 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
I elected to use fistifcuffs only because I am in good shape and able to defend myself. Might respond differently if I were senior or the attacker was much larger than myself. In the latter case I would attempt to walkout.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:06 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
If this were me and I was carrying, as I often do, I would have simply apologized to this guy for whatever slight that he believe occurred to him whether I was responsible or not. Why, because I know that if the situation were to escalate one of us would be taken to a hospital or a morgue and the other a trip to the grand jury. Both of which are far more permanent and expensive than a simple apology whether such an apology is deserved or not. That is the kind of responsible actions that the state has placed upon me when they granted me the right to carry a concealed weapon and it is a responsibility that I don't take lightly.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:13 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Why? Should I stand back and take the beating? Drawing my weapon only after violence is directed at me is completely legitimate in this situation. I'm not as familiar with FL law as I am with MS law but here I would not be arrested.
A better question is why would you stand there arguing with the guy, escalating his anger and in doing so risk getting into a fight where you just might lose control of your weapon and have it used against you?

Old 03-21-2012, 09:18 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
If this were me and I was carrying, as I often do, I would have simply apologized to this guy for whatever slight that he believe occurred to him whether I was responsible or not. Why, because I know that if the situation were to escalate one of us would be taken to a hospital or a morgue and the other a trip to the grand jury. Both of which are far more permanent and expensive than a simple apology whether such an apology is deserved or not. That is the kind of responsible actions that the state has placed upon me when they granted me the right to carry a concealed weapon and it is a responsibility that I don't take lightly.
****winner****

If some moron starts acting all tough like that the best action is to apologize and walk away. Don't even play their game. You have absolutely no idea who you're dealing with, what their state of mind is, or what they're capable of. I'm a firearms instructor and I teach judgmental use of force scenarios. That's a walk away no shoot scenario all day long. I don't need to prove I'm a tough guy but that attacker clearly feels the need to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies