Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 11:12 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,610,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
And you believe your link is unbiased?

PETA Kills Animals is a project of the Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF), a nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting the full range of choices that American consumers currently enjoy. In addition to malicious animal-rights activists, we stand up to the "food police," environmental scaremongers, neo-prohibitionists, meddling bureaucrats, and other self-anointed saints who claim to know what's best for you.
Consumer Freedom is a marketing group that promotes corporatism. They hate PETA and all orgs that take a bite out of the profits of the meat and dairy industry. They also are activists against MADD, Mothers Against Drunk Drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 11:18 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,037,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I'm taking the whole crew down to Allen, TX on Saturday to see Carson and Barnes Circus, which is about the last circus still under a Big Top and one of only 3 left which winters at Hugo, OK.

The sad thing is that they can't announce their itinerary more than about 3 weeks in advance for fear of being ambushed by PETA or some other radical animal rights group along the way. They've had the road blocked, tires cut, vandalism done to their equipment and undercover "agents" prowling around with hidden cameras looking for animal abuse. And this in spite of the fact that C&B operates the second largest Asian Elephant preserve in the world!

I guess it's a free country and all, but the animal rights nut jobs may one day make it so difficult to operate that they may succeed in killing off the circus for good. Wouldn't that be a tragedy for generations of kids and grandkids?

If you're so inclined, may I suggest that you go and see the Carson and Barnes circus if they come to your area, if for no other reason than to support them in face of PETA's relentless assault?

Here's their website:

Carson and Barnes Circus is the largest of the Big Top Tent traveling shows. Each year, Carson & Barnes crisscrosses the heartland of America as one of the few spectacular live circus shows still on the road. circus|entertainment|family|coupons|sched

(No, I don't own stock in them.)

<sarcasm>I know, right! Hands off our nationwide tour of tortured animals! Speaking of entertainment being corrupted by morals... why can't we bring back minstrel shows? Or better yet... gladiators! I can't wait to see some people get torn apart by lions!</sarcasm>

Old 03-21-2012, 11:22 AM

18,739 posts, read 33,567,134 times
Aren't there lots of things in circuses besides abused animals? Trapeze people, fire eaters, etc?

Old 03-21-2012, 11:25 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,345,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
It is more pleasant than killing the animal.
Well if i had to be stuck in a room barely bigger than my body, with lackluster food, and no socialization i'd rather be dead.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:33 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,037,129 times
Also just a little commentary on PETA. They annoy the crap out of me. They must be, and I am not even kidding, the most poorly run organization in the world.

Their goal, namely, "Treat animals ethically" is perhaps one of the easiest goals to promote. I mean honestly, who wants animals to be tortured? Through their arrogance and total lack of understanding about how to promote this position to the average person though, they have instead become known far more for their clownish antics than their actual mission.

They have become so hated and vilified (and rightly so) that I honestly feel like they make it HARDER to promote animal welfare because anyone who does is associated with these loons.

That being said, as perverted as their message has become, their original message, to promote the ethical treatment of animals is a very good one. Even though PETA is beyond annoying, that doesn't necessarily mean you should oppose all of their goals because many of them are actually rooted in a good cause. My advice is to ignore the lunatics at PETA. Make judgements about these time of issues on their own merits. There are also plenty of animal rights advocates that don't make a habit of harassing people and acting like clowns, namely the ASPCA, or the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Whether you get your information from PETA, the ASPCA, or other independent studies, there really isn't any doubt about it, animals in a circus are treated terribly. Even if they did everything they could to improve their living conditions, the core part of their life, frequent traveling from place to place in cramped condition make a circus an unavoidably terrible place for an animal.

So regardless of how people view PETA, I hope they actually look at the facts and avoid the circus so that this tradition can quickly die. You can still have a circus... just get rid of the animals. In fact if we all treat animals better, PETA members will no longer have a purpose, so to satiate their innate desire to act like foolish clowns they could get jobs at the circus! Everyone wins!

Old 03-21-2012, 11:39 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,678,249 times
Circuses are a dinosaur. No tears from me when their all gone

Old 03-21-2012, 11:52 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Aren't there lots of things in circuses besides abused animals? Trapeze people, fire eaters, etc?

Cirque Du Soleil is about a million times better than any "traditional" circus, and no miserable animals to pity.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:40 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,253,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Well if i had to be stuck in a room barely bigger than my body, with lackluster food, and no socialization i'd rather be dead.
I am glad you feel comfortable being the moral police and making that decision for more than just yourself. I am also glad people who think like you aren't in charge.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:44 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I am glad you feel comfortable being the moral police and making that decision for more than just yourself. I am also glad people who think like you aren't in charge.
In charge? Animals are put down (probably by the thousands) every single day. I agree with LucidKitty and I think most responsible animal lovers do too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies