Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 03:10 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,663,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
It's a nice change from the propaganda you read/watch here in the States.

I get my news from a bunch of different places (RT, Al Jazeera, Drudge, The Guardian etc.)
Al Jazeera does not run a pro-US line whatsoever -- however, they are noted for providing uncommonly objective and nonbiased reporting on the Middle East and the world. Anyone who does a little research into this channel will notice stark contrasts with RT. They are praised the world over for their efforts of getting the truth out. I wish RT viewers would turn off the garbage and turn on Al Jazeera (and many others) to get quality information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 03:12 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,968,507 times
I think it is important that people should be responsible and should be watching all news sources when they want a full report on particular topics.

That includes Iranian, Russian, Chinese, etc.

Reading the BBC news and a News station out of the US is not the same as reading different ends of the spectrum because they are both western centrist sources.

Of course, I do not believe that these sources are telling the full truth, but then neither are Western or US Sources telling the truth.

It has already been reported that US News Stations are under no obligation to tell the truth.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
I think it is important that people should be responsible and should be watching all news sources when they want a full report on particular topics.

That includes Iranian, Russian, Chinese, etc.

Reading the BBC news and a News station out of the US is not the same as reading different ends of the spectrum because they are both western centrist sources.

Of course, I do not believe that these sources are telling the full truth, but then neither are Western or US Sources telling the truth.

It has already been reported that US News Stations are under no obligation to tell the truth.
If there are ever news services that are independent of the propaganda wings of the respective intelligence agencies of Iran and Russia, they might be worthy of being watched. Until then, they should be watched for entertainment value only. I agree with you that people who wish to be informed should view a wide variety of news sources from around the world -- RT and PressTV aren't news sources.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:17 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,473,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Al Jazeera does not run a pro-US line whatsoever -- however, they are noted for providing uncommonly objective and nonbiased reporting on the Middle East and the world. Anyone who does a little research into this channel will notice stark contrasts with RT. They are praised the world over for their efforts of getting the truth out. I wish RT viewers would turn off the garbage and turn on Al Jazeera (and many others) to get quality information.
Al Jazeera is a better source by far over RT. My cable operator does not offer Al Jazeera but they offer RT, I can watch Al Jezeera in english Europe but not on Time Warner in Los Angeles. I would prefer to watch Al Jezeera over RT.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Al Jazeera is a better source by far over RT. My cable operator does not offer Al Jazeera but they offer RT, I can watch Al Jezeera in english Europe but not on Time Warner in Los Angeles. I would prefer to watch Al Jezeera over RT.
Some complain about Al Jazeera too. I think these are people who only want to hear stories with a US bias. Al Jazeera does not have a pro-US bias, but they are a solid news organization. The same groups that denounce RT as the propagandous trash that it is praise Al Jazeera for its independent reporting.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Some complain about Al Jazeera too. I think these are people who only want to hear stories with a US bias. Al Jazeera does not have a pro-US bias, but they are a solid news organization. The same groups that denounce RT as the propagandous trash that it is praise Al Jazeera for its independent reporting.
I don't understand when you say anti US Bias?

Don't you mean anti US Government Bias?
The Federal Government DOES NOT EQUAL the country of the US.

They only seem to serve themselves and their cronies, and don't represent the majority of American's anyhow.

And Al Jazeera is a still a western oriented News Station based out of one of our allies, Qatar, which helped get them started.
Also, they are staffed by many western journalists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Jazeera

Old 03-18-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I don't understand when you say anti US Bias?

Don't you mean anti US Government Bias?
The Federal Government DOES NOT EQUAL the country of the US.

They only seem to serve themselves and their cronies, and don't represent the majority of American's anyhow.

And Al Jazeera is a still a western oriented News Station based out of one of our allies, Qatar, which helped get them started.
Also, they are staffed by many western journalists.

Al Jazeera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That must explain why the governments of US, UK, Spain and other US allies have criticized Al Jazeera -- which is noted in your own source. Did you read your own link?

Old 03-18-2012, 03:59 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,303,985 times
Quote:
I have seen multiple threads started on this forum that use Russia Today as the only source for a news story. I'm glad that people are seeking out international news sources. Several are very good. RT, though, is not one of them. It is directly controlled by Russia's Foreign Intelligence Service. Those who know it best, such as former KGB officer Konstatin Preobrazhensky, are least fooled by it. He denounces it as the Soviet-style propoganda that it is. It's critics are numerous and range from sources across the political spectrum from multiple countries. Do your own research. When sources such as The Economist, The Guardian, Der Spiegl and the New Republic agree on something, that should make you go ... they're probably on to something.

RT has become the second most watched foriegn "news" service in the United States, behind only BBC. I suspect that those who watch it the most are people who wouldn't be caught dead listening to Rush Limbaugh or even Fox News because they don't want to fill their heads with propaganda. RT is far worse than either of those sources.

Remember that one of Putin's early acts when he took over Russia was to shut down the media. Don't fall into the cynical trap of assuming -- oh, they're all the same ... oh, our media is biased too (of course it is ... it's not state-ran by the information operators of the CIA... big difference). Tyrants and dictators rely on this kind of sloppy thinking. Please think more critically than that and don't play into Putin's hands.

agree that RT is even more of a propoganda machine than fox news

Old 03-18-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
That must explain why the governments of US, UK, Spain and other US allies have criticized Al Jazeera -- which is noted in your own source. Did you read your own link?
I glanced at it to see how it was started and who funded it.
Reading further I see, the criticisms placed against them.
Fair enough.

Well, if the litmus test if they are doing something right is based on the criticism they receive, then there are many criticisms against RT as well

Old 03-18-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
I glanced at it to see how it was started and who funded it.
Reading further I see, the criticisms placed against them.
Fair enough.

Well, if the litmus test if they are doing something right is based on the criticism they receive, then there are many criticisms against RT as well
My litmus test is not only the quantity of criticism but also the quality. When Arabs criticize an outlet for being pro-Israeli, and Israelis criticize the same outlet for being pro-Arab -- chances are that organization is getting very near the real, unvarnished truth. When Russia starts denouncing RT for being anti-Kremlin, I might start taking it seriously.

I think it's a shame that Al Jazeera isn't the number two most watched foreign media source in the US and RT is. It's probably because Al Jazeera isn't sensationalist enough. It's not as entertaining as RT. I've watched both, and for sheer entertainment value, there is no contest. RT wins hands down. It's a shame that we'd rather be entertained than informed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies