Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 06:22 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,210,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It applies to so many different scenarios.

Business owners provide jobs, innovation, value to society. Employees and society receive the benefits.
I'm a business owner. Without my employees, I wouldn't be making a profit either. It goes both ways. Some of you talk like you're in a bad episode of Downton Abbey, and the lord of the manor provides for all...

The eyeroll wasn't directed at NJBest--just those of you that have a huge chip on their shoulder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 06:25 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I'm a business owner. Without my employees, I wouldn't be making a profit either. It goes both ways. Some of you talk like you're in a bad episode of Downton Abbey, and the lord of the manor provides for all...
Wow, that went right over your head. You obviously missed the point of my post (being a follow up to me previous post).

Old 03-15-2012, 06:27 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I spend most of my income buying necessities. These necessities are sold at a profit for the owners of the businesses. Therefore I am having a portion of the money I spend transferred from me, a 99%er, to the owning 1%ers. That makes me a provider and them a recipient. Then there is the fact that I pay much of my limited income as taxes whilst multimillionaires pay at a much lower rate on their effectively unlimited income. Thus I am a provider to the government and they are recipients.

I am certain the OP was trying to chastise the poor as “recipients” while “proper” people like him were “providers”. Indeed, he might be a “provider” but the biggest recipients are big business.
Exactly. You also point out why the OP wasn't thinking thoroughly when he created the thread.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Wow, that went right over your head. You obviously missed the point of my post (being a follow up to me previous post).
I didn't--I edited later to explain and we must have been posting at the same time--I'm with you on this.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:31 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,823 times
Quote:
I spend most of my income buying necessities. These necessities are sold at a profit for the owners of the businesses. Therefore I am having a portion of the money I spend transferred from me, a 99%er, to the owning 1%ers. That makes me a provider and them a recipient. Then there is the fact that I pay much of my limited income as taxes whilst multimillionaires pay at a much lower rate on their effectively unlimited income. Thus I am a provider to the government and they are recipients.

I am certain the OP was trying to chastise the poor as “recipients” while “proper” people like him were “providers”. Indeed, he might be a “provider” but the biggest recipients are big business.
The question everyone should ask themselves... are you a positive net provider to the government, or a negative net provider? Does an individual pay more in taxes than he receives in benefits or does he/she take more in benefits than they pay. The business man you hate so much, is more than likely a positive net provider....

Now what our government does with its funds... that's where the BIG problems lie....

Old 03-15-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
The question everyone should ask themselves... are you a positive net provider to the government, or a negative net provider? Does an individual pay more in taxes than he receives in benefits or does he/she take more in benefits than they pay. The business man you hate so much, is more than likely a positive net provider....

Now what our government does with its funds... that's where the BIG problems lie....
It also depends on what point you are in your life. Half of the people paying no taxes are retirees living on social security. They paid throughout their working lives.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:48 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
It also depends on what point you are in your life. Half of the people paying no taxes are retirees living on social security. They paid throughout their working lives.
Agreed... but I would imagine that during most of those retiree's working years the same question would have applied. Were they or were they not contributing to the positive? There may come a time, when I could turn into a recipient if I were to live long enough, and I in fact ever draw social security over the amount that I've paid in... but the way it looks now.. I'll never even come close. The problem as I see it, is that there are way to many who do receive more than they provide and instead of trying to figure out a way to at least get to a zero sum difference, they complain and gripe about everyone else who today are the hand that feeds them.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:49 AM

17,010 posts, read 12,602,310 times
>Low wage workers do not have any federal tax responsibility. and, they're assisted by the provider class.<

WRONG

If there was no profit in it he would not have his low wage job. He works for a low wage and his production or service is resold at a profit. This profit does not go to the low wage guy. The owner gets it.

Yes i know small detail.
Payroll taxes. Another small detail.
sales Tax. Another small detail.
The recipient class is far far smaller than you pontificate. And far fewer people have alot of sympathy for the welfare class (vs. low wage workers.)

Old 03-15-2012, 06:51 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,306,705 times
Default We are a nation of two classes....the recipient class and the provider class.

I worked for thirty eight + years, paid income taxes, Social Security
and my Employer company and retired after being disabled after 55.
I still pay taxes.

I volunteer as a youth coach and give money and 500 hours of time
a year for my community.

I call myself a provider.

If you don't work, or have never worked and are recieving Federal
and/or State money and aid, you would be a recipient.

Valid question. Shouldn't people who recieve services help their
community in some way?

Old 03-15-2012, 06:53 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
Yeah, 99% provide profits for the 1% recipient class.
The 1% also provides profits for that "class".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies