Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 12:30 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,561,694 times

Advertisements

These laws will be all fun and games to Republicans and conservatives....until a Muslim run company starts basing their decisions on their religion.

What will the GOP do then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 12:14 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,446,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It's a flagrant violation of HIPAA and will be struck down at the first challenge. Arizona's lawmakers know this. So - perhaps they should find something constructive to do with their time?

HIPAA requires employers to provide prescription coverage for contraceptives? My employers have never provided ANY insurance, is there something I missed?

Old 03-18-2012, 12:17 AM

37,127 posts, read 42,193,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
HIPAA requires employers to provide prescription coverage for contraceptives? My employers have never provided ANY insurance, is there something I missed?
Yes. It's about privacy of the patient and not getting to see the personal medical records of your employees just to satisfy your curiosity about their reproductive intensions and health concerns no matter what kind of "morals or religious convictions" you claim to have.

Almost sounds...creepy.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post

If they cover it for medical reasons, then you WORK WITH THE INSURANCE COMPANY, the employer could care less. You aren't disclosing anything to the employer, UNLESS the employer is the insurance company itself.

Ah yes, I had forgotten that some employers self-insure. There's a problem if the AZ law is intended to allow self-insuring employers to pick and choose which contraceptive prescriptions they will cover, and that's not gonna fly.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Yes. It's about privacy of the patient and not getting to see the personal medical records of your employees just to satisfy your curiosity about their reproductive intensions and health concerns no matter what kind of "morals or religious convictions" you claim to have.

Almost sounds...creepy.

I understand HIPAA, but since my employers have never provided me insurance or paid for any of my prescriptions, I'm not seeing where employers are required to cover prescriptions for anyone else.

If an employer does not carry insurance, or carries insurance that does not cover prescriptions, I don't see there there's any problem.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:04 AM

[quote=Coachgns;23415324]
Quote:
A corporation, employer, sponsor, issuer or other entity offering the plan may state religious beliefs or moral convictions in its affidavit that require the subscriber to first pay for the prescription and then submit a claim to the corporation along with evidence that the prescription is not in whole or in part for a purpose covered by the objection.� A corporation may charge an administrative fee for handling these claims./QUOTE]

Hmmm - how would this work where it is a CORPORATION submitting the affidavit of its religious beliefs?
Can a Corporation even have religious beliefs?
Does it have to put its religious beliefs to a proxy vote by its share holders?
Does SEC law even allow a shareholder vote on religious beliefs?

ANd second - the law proposed clearly states that the evidence be submitted TO THE CORPORATION. It doesn't have them submit to the Insurance company. Talk about an invasion of privacy! Let alone HIPAA.

And then, to make matters worse, they allow the Corporation to charge a fee to anyone who submits a claim for contraceptives. Seems they can charge this fee even if they reject the payment.

WHEW!

This is easy...everyone knows that corporations are amoral, therefore, no valid employer objection is possible, and no payment can be rejected pursuant to this law.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:09 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
These laws will be all fun and games to Republicans and conservatives....until a Muslim run company starts basing their decisions on their religion.

What will the GOP do then?
LOL!

You have raised a very good point!

Old 03-18-2012, 02:50 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,969,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
No, HIPAA ensures that your medical information isn't made available to any Tom, Dick and Harry who think they're entitled to rummage around in your journal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies