Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 10:24 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,659,306 times

Advertisements

RUSH: I want to comment further here on the Miss Teen South Carolina answer. She was asked a question in a pageant: "Recent polls have shown a fifth of Americans can't locate the United States on a world map. Why do you think this is? " Here was her answer: "I personally believe the US Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps, and, uh, I believe that our education, like such as South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like, such as -- and I believe that they should. Our education over here in the US should help the US -- should help South Africa and should help the Iraq, and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future for our children." Now, this is sad. This is sad, and people played this audio all over. It's over ten million hits on YouTube, Mr. Snerdley. You've got the audio? (sigh) Okay, I'll play it, but I'm not doing this to make fun of her. A lot of people did this. I'm not trying to make fun of her. There's a reason for this. There is an explanation for this answer. Here, this is 18-year-old, Miss Teen South Carolina. Here's the question: "Recent polls have shown a fifth of Americans can't locate the United States on a world map. Why do you think that is?"

Miss Teen South Carolina Gave the Answer She Was Taught
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 11:04 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,642,927 times
Every once and a while, Rush has a decent point. This one is not too far off. Schools are failing in education, and part of it is that too many agendas have become involved in the education process.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:13 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,243,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
RUSH: I want to comment further here on the Miss Teen South Carolina answer. She was asked a question in a pageant: "Recent polls have shown a fifth of Americans can't locate the United States on a world map. Why do you think this is? " Here was her answer: "I personally believe the US Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps, and, uh, I believe that our education, like such as South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like, such as -- and I believe that they should. Our education over here in the US should help the US -- should help South Africa and should help the Iraq, and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future for our children." Now, this is sad. This is sad, and people played this audio all over. It's over ten million hits on YouTube, Mr. Snerdley. You've got the audio? (sigh) Okay, I'll play it, but I'm not doing this to make fun of her. A lot of people did this. I'm not trying to make fun of her. There's a reason for this. There is an explanation for this answer. Here, this is 18-year-old, Miss Teen South Carolina. Here's the question: "Recent polls have shown a fifth of Americans can't locate the United States on a world map. Why do you think that is?"

Hmm, I attributed the "US-Americans" part to being just plain dumb, but this article does have a point.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:48 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,650,378 times
Quote:
I think that this is a perfect answer for a kid totally educated in government-run schools run by a bunch of liberals.
In a white area of South Carolina? Really?

Quote:
This is the stuff that's been taught to her. When talking about a question about maps, why does she come up with South Africa? Why does she come up with "the Iraq"? I guarantee you that those things came to her mind because something's being taught to her about those countries,
Really? She probably heard of Iraq off the news, and South Africa off the Oprah show.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:35 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,004,205 times
AM Talk show hosts have a well-developed technique of tracing every problem in the world to "evil liberals and their destruction of society," this one's really stretching it.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:43 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,642,927 times
If you remove his pointing to liberals (its Rush, do you expect him to not point at them?) and just listen to the part about the watering down of our education system, there are some valid points in there. I don't like Rush, but that doesn't mean that EVERY point he makes is wrong, just MOST of them.

Kids these days have the attention span of a gnat flying around herd of cattle. We've allowed school to cover too many topics and my opinion is that core skills should be the focus of 90% of what kids study in school.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:09 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,802,796 times
I wonder why does anything having to do with education immediately turn into something about those liberals with their evil agenda? I move around a bit. It's been my experience that in those areas predominantly redneck/hick, the teachers also tend to be somewhat redneck/hick. (No offense to rednecks and hicks, I know a couple rednecks personally....nice guys.) South Carolina has never been known as a bastion for liberal thought.

Also while this rendition was exceptional, let's face it - beauty contest bimbos have been giving these kind of answers to life's complex questions for age eternal. I look forward to this part of the competition even more than the bathing suit contest, to hear the pearls of wisdom that come from these young ladies representing America's finest.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:15 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,615,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

Rush probably doesn't get out much.

Evil liberals in South Carolina? This is the state that fought to fly the stars-n-bars at the state capitol, right? lol

I don't think so. That has to be the dumbest statement I've read since I read the transcript of the last state of the union address.

SC is as red as thumpin red can get. Sorry Rush, you're talking out of your arse on this one. Then again if he had a line down the middle of his face I wouldn't be able to tell which end he was speaking from anyway.

Maybe he should take a look at the schools in LI, the same ones with 95%+ test scores that are run by bleeding heart liberals.

....as for the girl.... she's hot, blonde, and legal. Who cares if she can complete a sentence? By today's standards she could still become president.

~T

Old 09-10-2007, 03:11 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,582,938 times
yes let's blame libs for a dumb blonde's response! Lack of maps is the reason? I bet this girl would get lost even with ONSTAR/GPS in her car.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:17 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,602,284 times
Did it ever occur to Rush that maybe she's just not that smart and that teenagers on national TV might get a little nervous? That's a dangerous combination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies