Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 08:37 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,737,842 times

Advertisements

On his Sunday morning news show Wallace was interviewing Rick Santorum. Noting that Santorum has a moral objection to contraception based upon the teaching of his church, Wallace then asked whether he considered all the women who use contraceptives to be immoral. I nearly jumped out of my skin when I heard the question. Here's why.

Catholic Democrat politicians (and some Republicans, i.e., Susan Collins (R. ME)) routinely defend their support for abortion by citing the Mario Cuomo hair-splitting statement that while they are personally opposed to abortion they would not think of imposing their moral or religious views on non-Catholics. When is the last time the media asked any of these politicians whether they consider women who have had an abortion immoral? My guess is never. Chris Wallace may be doing his schtick on Fox but it's clear that he's still his father's son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 09:16 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,122,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
On his Sunday morning news show Wallace was interviewing Rick Santorum. Noting that Santorum has a moral objection to contraception based upon the teaching of his church, Wallace then asked whether he considered all the women who use contraceptives to be immoral. I nearly jumped out of my skin when I heard the question. Here's why.

Catholic Democrat politicians (and some Republicans, i.e., Susan Collins (R. ME)) routinely defend their support for abortion by citing the Mario Cuomo hair-splitting statement that while they are personally opposed to abortion they would not think of imposing their moral or religious views on non-Catholics. When is the last time the media asked any of these politicians whether they consider women who have had an abortion immoral? My guess is never. Chris Wallace may be doing his schtick on Fox but it's clear that he's still his father's son.
He's still partisan, but at least he's got enough integrity not to be a mouthpiece for the Republican party. He'll never question a Republican on a position that supports the Liberal agenda, but he will hold someone's feet to fire for a position that hurts the Republican agenda.

Compare him to Shepherd Smith, another partisan w/ integrity, but he's on record many time going against the Republican position and outright calling out the same overlords that most of FOX bows down to.

Last edited by EddieB.Good; 03-05-2012 at 10:06 AM..

Old 03-05-2012, 09:27 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,680,308 times
I would not say that Chris Matthews is Fair and Balanced but I do not place him in with the other partisan hacks out there as he's not egregious. He's obviously left leaning but I guess we need to question whether he's being unfair in this case to Santorum.

I would imagine that his question arose from the recent Rush Limbaugh debacle where Rush called Fluke two names that basically labled her a serioulsy promiscuous because she used birth control. I think "the media" would like republicans to at least step up and say that they disagree with that thought process. I think that's why he posed that question to Santorum. Honestly, IMO, I *doubt* Santorum thinks BC users are promiscuous. He just doesn't agree with their use due to his religion.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:57 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,154,069 times
There's no such thing as a fair and balanced journalist. Not a single one exists on the entire planet.

In order to "get the story" in the newspaper industry.....in order to "get the person" in the telejournalism industry....a journalist is usually forced to concede that certain aspects won't be reported...certain questions won't be asked, etc. in order for the person to accept an interview.

If they can't "get the story" or "get the person" , the journalist is usually forced to use unnamed sources and rely heavily on certain amounts of speculation to pull a story together.

Neither of these scenarios are environments where pure objectivity is welcomed or even possible. This doesn't even take into account that certain newspapers and television/radio channels have an inherent bias in their formats (ie. Fox, MSNBC, PBS, etc).

Fair and balanced does not exist anywhere in any news medium.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:03 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,855,791 times
There are a very few who are with Fox news that can be somewhat bi partisan......... Chris Wallace is one of the few. I like him and he isn't afraid to ask the tough questions to both sides of the political spectrum.......... i bet Hannity and Co squirm whenever Wallace asks the real questions of the day.
Wallace can teach Hannity and many on Fox news a vital lesson in giving interviews as they are just partisan "monkeys" who jump through the party hoops to get ratings.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:04 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,751,509 times
Fair and Balanced doesn't exist anywhere in nature or human society.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:06 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,751,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
There are a very few who are with Fox news that can be somewhat bi partisan......... Chris Wallace is one of the few. I like him and he isn't afraid to ask the tough questions to both sides of the political spectrum.......... i bet Hannity and Co squirm whenever Wallace asks the real questions of the day.
Wallace can teach Hannity and many on Fox news a vital lesson in giving interviews as they are just partisan "monkeys" who jump through the party hoops to get ratings.
You do realize the difference between Wallace and Hannity?

Old 03-05-2012, 10:42 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,737,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
So is it your position that, given the next opportunity, Wallace will ask a Catholic Democrat politician who supports abortion whether he or she views women who get abortions as immoral? Dream on.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:57 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,312,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I would not say that Chris Matthews is Fair and Balanced but I do not place him in with the other partisan hacks out there as he's not egregious. He's obviously left leaning but I guess we need to question whether he's being unfair in this case to Santorum.

I would imagine that his question arose from the recent Rush Limbaugh debacle where Rush called Fluke two names that basically labled her a serioulsy promiscuous because she used birth control. I think "the media" would like republicans to at least step up and say that they disagree with that thought process. I think that's why he posed that question to Santorum. Honestly, IMO, I *doubt* Santorum thinks BC users are promiscuous. He just doesn't agree with their use due to his religion.
I think that you have confused two men, one who works for MSNBC and is very partisan, and one who works for Fox News and is not nearly so partisan but if he is from the other direction from Wallace.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:00 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,312,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
There's no such thing as a fair and balanced journalist. Not a single one exists on the entire planet.

In order to "get the story" in the newspaper industry.....in order to "get the person" in the telejournalism industry....a journalist is usually forced to concede that certain aspects won't be reported...certain questions won't be asked, etc. in order for the person to accept an interview.

If they can't "get the story" or "get the person" , the journalist is usually forced to use unnamed sources and rely heavily on certain amounts of speculation to pull a story together.

Neither of these scenarios are environments where pure objectivity is welcomed or even possible. This doesn't even take into account that certain newspapers and television/radio channels have an inherent bias in their formats (ie. Fox, MSNBC, PBS, etc).

Fair and balanced does not exist anywhere in any news medium.
Maybe you are 100% correct but it appears to me that you have not heard Chris Wallace perform many times. I failed to catch him yesterday but that question sounds more like it was in support of Romney than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies