Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did Limbaugh cross the line of humane decorum?
Is he just being "ever so silly"? 12 27.91%
Is he a complete, immoral, vile inhumane creature? 31 72.09%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 04:09 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,216,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Relax he was making a point with a joke.
I have a great sense of humor, I'm a republican woman, and I don't find it funny at all. I don't think many women do. Trying to make excuses for his behavior by calling it a "joke" just makes it all that much worse...do you understand that?

Old 03-02-2012, 04:10 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,456,472 times
Here is what Rush said:

Quote:
...the Georgetown student who went before a congressional committee and said she's having so much sex, she's going broke buying contraceptives and wants us to buy them. I said, "Well, what would you call someone who wants us to pay for her to have sex? What would you call that woman? You'd call 'em a sl#t, a prostitute or whatever."

...Fluke presented research to the [Pelosi] committee: four out of every ten co-eds are having so much sex that it's hard to make ends meet if they have to pay for their own contraception.
Left Freaks Out Over My Fluke Remarks - The Rush Limbaugh Show (http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2012/03/01/left_freaks_out_over_my_fluke_remarks - broken link)

Rush is right!

Fluke claimed that birth control cost about $1000 per year ($3000 over 3 years of law school). Many have pointed out that birth control pills are available from Target, Walmart, CVS for much less - the Target nearest Georgetown sells the pills for $9 per month (prescription with no insurance). Fluke could get free condoms from any number of places in DC.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:10 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,818,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
His isn't a comedy show.
Who's defined the genre? He uses satire all the time.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:13 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,818,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I have a great sense of humor, I'm a republican woman, and I don't find it funny at all. I don't think many women do. Trying to make excuses for his behavior by calling it a "joke" just makes it all that much worse...do you understand that?
I see you didn't appreciate the joke. That's okay. I thought it was outrageous and funny. And he made an excellent point.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:16 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,418,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Limbaugh often says you can tell the really fanatical liberals, by whether they have any sense of humor.

But it's starting to look like he was even more right than he knew: The MOST fanatical among the liberals, are the ones that have no sense of humor (first bolding above) AND insist that the people they hate aren't allowed to have one, either (second bolding above).

Thankfully, such complete extremists are rare, even on internet forums.

I laugh a lot, and I have a great sense of humor. I laugh at racist jokes, as well as jokes that make fun of women.

But what he said was an attack on this one woman, and disgusting. As a man of the south who would never say anything bad directed at one woman in such a way, I find it deplorable.

Saying something about a whole group of people is one thing like "You know women get crazy once a month", is funny, because its not directed at one person, in a manner directed to hurt or belittle them.

He attacked this woman verbally, and its disgusting. He should recant his statement. If his point is so valid, he doesn't need to belittle anyone.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:16 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,154,069 times
Sandra Fluzie did Liberalism a HUGE disservice. Liberals obviously don't understand that, but she did.

It's not like the Right needed a new punching bag, but we were handed one without effort. And now we're going to beat the hell out of it to prove to Liberals how LITTLE foresight that exists in their caucus (not to mention how ridiculous their entitlement demands are.)

Old 03-02-2012, 04:20 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,393,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
The woman went before Congress(!) and informed them that she and many other women were engaging in sex with multiple unmarried (to them) male partners. And that she wanted the University to pay to make it possible and "safe".

How is this NOT "sluttish" or "whoreish" behavior? And what's the problem with calling it what it is?

Exactly right!! What prestigious law firm would want this tramp working there unless she was hired as a "fluffer" for the partners.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:20 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,216,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
This lady paying 50k for her education was the one suggesting we give her screwing welfare because she couldn't pay 99 cents to go get condoms or $9 a month to get her pills at her local pharmacy.

There is no $3000 prescription needed, get the generics for $9 a month.

If you can't afford 99 cents for condoms you should maybe just learn to masturbate and stay that way till you can afford the 99 cents IMO.
Did you bother to read her testimony? She didn't say anything remotely like how Rush portrayed it, and that's why people are outraged. First, she said $3000 over the course of law school--that's three years. Do you understand that many married women are law students? Are you calling married women who use birth control S*UTS now? Seriously?

Her point was that $3000 for a student could equal their entire earnings for a summer between school years, and also that many women take oral contraceptives for health reasons other than birth control--under those situations, with additional health care monitoring and lab work, the costs could easly be $3000.00 a year. The link below is to a liberal site, but it links to her actual testimony, so the source doesn't matter. Try looking at what really happened, vs. what you've imagined happened.

The Testimony About Birth Control Republicans Did Not Want You To Hear | ThinkProgress

Old 03-02-2012, 04:24 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,105,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Here is the transcript of what Sandra Fluke actually said:

http://abcnews.go.com/images/Politic...%20hearing.pdf

thanks so much for providing that transcript. I have saved it and intend to send it to EVERY advertiser of the Rush Limbaugh show, even if I have to listen to him to actually find out who they are besides the Pro Flower People who will be dumping him soon, and the Sleep Train people that have already dumped him. I think Rush needs a copy himself, there isn't a single thing in that transcript that says anything about all that sex she was supposedly having all the time. And she didn't say it was 3 grand a year for contraception, she said it was the entire time she was in college! Good job

Old 03-02-2012, 04:29 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,393,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Did you bother to read her testimony? She didn't say anything remotely like how Rush portrayed it, and that's why people are outraged. First, she said $3000 over the course of law school--that's three years. Do you understand that many married women are law students? Are you calling married women who use birth control S*UTS now? Seriously?

Her point was that $3000 for a student could equal their entire earnings for a summer between school years, and also that many women take oral contraceptives for health reasons other than birth control--under those situations, with additional health care monitoring and lab work, the costs could easly be $3000.00 a year. The link below is to a liberal site, but it links to her actual testimony, so the source doesn't matter. Try looking at what really happened, vs. what you've imagined happened.

The Testimony About Birth Control Republicans Did Not Want You To Hear | ThinkProgress

A "married woman" would have a WORKING husband that could pay to play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.